Disk Brake Upgrade.

peterpolo
peterpolo Posts: 27
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Good evening,

hoping you can help me out with a problem.

I bought the RockShox Dart 3 forks (spare me the critique of these forks please, I know they're not great but they were cheap and will be better than the RST Gilas) from jejames to replace the standard forks on a Spesh Hardrock Sport (2004). Trouble is, in my haste, i forgot to check if they were v-brake compatible, and they're not.

Question is...

Do I upgrade to disks or do I send them back and get v-brake compatible forks? could cost me around £20 to send them back after delivery and "re-stocking" fee.

Also, how much can I upgrade to disk for on a budget? I'm assuming I'll need gear and brake levers (current ones are combined), a new wheel and a brake kit including the disk itself.

Any offers of decent v-brake compatile forks would probably help make my decision easier.

Cheerspeterpolo

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Will be expensive for the disc upgrade.

Distance selling regulations say that the retailer is to refund P and P id you return within 7 days, undamaged.
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    edited January 2011
    halfway house - you could grab a cheap mechanical disk brake and still use your current lever - will be better than Vs while not quite as good as hydraulics

clarks do mech disks from about 20 quid and avids can be had from 30 quid

slainte :) rob
  • If I were in this predicament I'd certainly look at a disc upgrade. There are some bargains to be had out there right now from Formula, Avid and Shimano.
    You'll need to take into consideration that when installing discs it's not always as easy as just installing the discs and using them, you may have to send the bike to your LHS to get the brake hoses cut and the brakes bled. From experience I can tell you this usually costs no more than £30.
  • supersonic
    So to add up:

Cheap disc wheels: £70
    Cheap hydro discs: £90
    New shifters: £25
    Labour: £30

Total: £215.

Add your fork in and that's £300.

You can get new bikes for £400 with 27 gears, lighter weight, hydro discs and better forks. Just a thought.
  • ftwizard
    ftwizard Posts: 253
    Just email them to say you're cancelling the order and decline to accept the parcel when it arrives, that way you won't have to pay return postage.
  • Thanks for the advice everyone. I think the disks will be too expensive so I will return the forks using my rights under the distance selling regulations. This means I pay postage as items aren't faulty but they cannot charge a restocking fee (£10) as I am returning within 7 days of receiving the goods. I feel this is fair as I would be unlikely to have made the mistake had I bought them in person.

The regs are well worth looking at if you receive item that are either faulty or if you no longer want them for any other reason. Worth a post to themselves I think

Cheers

PD
  • ftwizard
    ftwizard Posts: 253
    I'll try again.
    Fron the Office of Fair Trading web site:

Can a consumer cancel an order before they receive the
    goods or where goods are lost in transit?

3.35 Yes. Where the DSRs give consumers rights to cancel, this right is
    unconditional. If consumers cancel before they have received the
    goods you must refund the total price of the goods, including any
    delivery charges. Consumers who have cancelled under the DSRs
    may refuse to accept delivery of the goods. Refusal in such a
    situation cannot be treated as a breach of contract.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Unless of course he already has received them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    I still think you can return them within seven days, but will have to check.
  • cooldad
    Sure you can but you have to pay the postage.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Are your wheels disk brake compatible? I have a set of original gear and disk brakes from a 2004 hardrock sport disc that I could send you, but if your wheels cant take it then it wont work.
  • supersonic
    cooldad wrote:
    Sure you can but you have to pay the postage.

I thought you could get postage back too lol.
  • the nice people at jejames offered to pay postage as the item didn't suit. I'm guessing this is not the same as "not as described" so they were kind to pay postage.

My understanding is that if the goods are "as described" you can return the item within 7 days of receipt but you have to pay postage.

If you cancel the order before receiving it then you do not have to pay postage.

if goods are not as described you do not have to pay postage.

hope this clears it up.

Cheers

PP
  • cooldad
    Result, and good for JE James. I've never used them as they always seem to be out of stock, but will add them to my 'approved' list.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools