Glasses misting up

big feller
big feller Posts: 26
edited January 2011 in MTB general
With the weather cold my glasses keep on misting up,Is Muck off Anti-fog any good for this problem £7.49 to buy or is there a cheaper option
Thanks

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Not sure what it was called, but I used to use some spray I got from a motorcycle shop. Bob heath visor spray or something like that. Anyway, it was a couple of quid for a bottle, and it lasted years and years.
    It was still never as good as whatever UVEX put on their machining goggles though, those things are amazing, you can't make them mist up if you tried.

Anyway, on the bike, I've found that glasses with better ventilation are better than anti-fog ones. With badly vented anti fog glasses, you still eventually get sweat running down the inside of them.
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    Rain-X, which is used for car windscreens, is good stuff. I use it on my glasses (and car windscreen!).

I've also tried the Fairly Liquid (as in washing-up liquid) trick before and it's been quite effective: put some Fairly Liquid on the lenses and buff it up until dry with a soft, clean cloth. Did the trick for me!
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • Broonster wrote:
    Rain-X, which is used for car windscreens, is good stuff. I use it on my glasses (and car windscreen!).

I've also tried the Fairly Liquid (as in washing-up liquid) trick before and it's been quite effective: put some Fairly Liquid on the lenses and buff it up until dry with a soft, clean cloth. Did the trick for me!

Shaving foam will work in the same way as fairy liquid.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • I'm a Scuba Diver - and although it's a bit different for cycling, when diving if you spit on the inside of your mask - it stops the fogging up - and it's free!

Of course, fairly liquid trick is probably much more pleasant :)
    Specialized FSR XC Expert 2010
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Nikwax Visorshield- I've used most of the different methods for this on the motorbike, it's the one that works best on day one and it lasts better than anything else too. Total knockout win. Seems expensive for the wee bottle but I'm still using the one I bought in about 2006.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Smear the lenses with washing up liquid, let it dry then polish with kitchen towel to remove the 'starburst' effect.

It really works.
  • I used to race mx and was told by a pro speedway rider to use wax from a candle. Rub it on then buff up with a cloth. did it once and never looked back..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    weemo1rush wrote:
    I used to race mx and was told by a pro speedway rider to use wax from a candle. Rub it on then buff up with a cloth. did it once and never looked back..
    Could you look forwards though? Or was the wax preventing that too?
  • GT85 does a good job too, make sure you buff it off though, it's poisonous
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • Chalky76
    Chalky76 Posts: 260
    save your money - as stated above, spit should do it. When i've scuba dived at some point someone once cut a raw potato in half and rubbed that against the glass and it worked brilliantly, lasting much longer.

Not sure whether it was a King Edward or Maris Piper though....and not sure you really want to lug spuds around in your backpack....
    ride your bike like a kid whilst you still can

Transition Blindside = http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceychalk/5335403095/