Fenix LD20 - needs better batteries, which ones?

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
1449660_fenixld20q5.jpg

I have the above light, a Fenix LD 20.

It is fantastic, it looks like a small lightsaber, it generates a beam that shines so far up the road it makes me laugh at the absurdity of it. The strobe effect is so psychedelic you might as well be in a rave and on acid.

The only trouble is that over four days i've gone through 2 pairs of batteries. One was the batteries it came with the other was the Maplin AA batteries that I use to power my X-box controller.

Are there more powerful, longer lasting batteries that can be used to power this thing? Or should I simply wait for battery technology to advance far enough to sustain this light for a reasonable length of time?

*Note, my current batteries ran out even though I used the low low setting. I'm not in the habit of blinding drivers.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Dunno exactly, but I'd aim for some rechargeables with the highest mAh rating you can find. I'll be interested to know if anyone has any specific recommendations as I have one on its way to me.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I use GP2500mAh in mine, just bought from currys or comet I think. Got a tiny little charger and 4 batteries for about 20 quid

Daily commute is about 2 hours 20 and a full charge will get me through this with about an hour to spare if I use the highest setting on the 2nd setting , if you know what I mean.

So I always carry a spare set and charge them alternately every night. Even on this setting, signs hundreds of yards in the distance are lit up :)
    FCN 8/9 (I think)
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I use these in my Fenix 2900mah NiMH batteries from Vapextech. £5.75 for 4 delivered. They have around 2550mah actual capacity (none reach the stated capacity but these are as good as any, even much pricier ones). I have been using them for several years now (usually buy 8 more per year and replace those that are "fading" - my charger can analyse them).

You need a "smart" charger like this one from Vapextech to get the best from your batteries (cheap chargers cook the cells).

Note: you need to use NiMH to get the best out of these LED torches, Alkalines will start to dim very early in the discharge, NiMH will maintain brightness for 90% of the discharge time.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Might want to do a search on the various torch forums (yes, they do exist!). Those guys are seriously into modding their torches and know their stuff!
  • I use the Hyrbrio in my LD20 - I don't use it every day so the fact they don't discharge is very handy and they still produce sickeningly bright light :D

http://www.batterylogic.co.uk/hybrio-aa-rechargeable-battery.
  • Second vote for Vapex 2900
  • kelsen wrote:
    Might want to do a search on the various torch forums (yes, they do exist!). Those guys are seriously into modding their torches and know their stuff!

Don't do it! You'll lose your life to another geeky forum site!
    I tried it but had to leave. Their acronyms and technical wizadry hurt my head. :)
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I have Maplins own NiMH 2700 mAH in my Fenix LD2. TBH I only get a few days use (half hour each time) out of a fully charged set before the light starts to dim but then it's easy to have a spare set and swap them over when required.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Red Rider wrote:
    kelsen wrote:

Don't do it! You'll lose your life to another geeky forum site!
    I tried it but had to leave. Their acronyms and technical wizadry hurt my head. :)
    So I went onto this cycling forum today asking for advice on what bicycle to purchase for riding to work. Didn't get one comprehensible reply!

First of all, they had a big discussion about road bikes vs hybrids, this then went into an argument about wearing and not wearing a helmet, then finally it all disintegrated into a heated debate about jumping red lights! Some people replied suggesting I should pop over to Morpeth for a drink and advice. Quite why I would want to go to a place in Cumbria to discuss bikes is beyond me?!

Don't even get me started on their jargon and acronyms! Here's an example:

"Saw a bit of SCR action today whilst riding the FG. Spotted a BSO with a FCN of 7/8 heading rapidly along DSC. Went past him but had to stop for a red. ASL was congested as usual with hi-viz nodders and mopeds. That didn't stop our man from weaving through and RLJ'ing though! As soon as the lights changed, I applied some MTFU and the Power Awesome, caught up with him again and blasted past collecting a scalp along the way. Noticed a bit of creaking from the BB so might have to pop into the LBS on the way home tonight."

In amongst all this, there was some person called DDD making completely irrelevant posts! The only one that made any sense was one asking for advice on the Fenix LD20. Personally I wouldn't be seen dead with a Cree Q5 LED. The new CR6 is the LED to go for if you're a proper torchie!

Disclaimer: I have no idea which LED is better. This was from 30 seconds of Googling
  • kelsen wrote:
    funny stuff
    :lol:
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • Vapex here too.

Glad you chose Fenix as we recommended!
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    +1 for Vapex.

I've just gone for a recently released Fenix TK 35 from HK (18650 batteries though):

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=86
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    1449660_fenixld20q5.jpg

I have the above light, a Fenix LD 20.

It is fantastic, it looks like a small lightsaber, it generates a beam that shines so far up the road it makes me laugh at the absurdity of it. The strobe effect is so psychedelic you might as well be in a rave and on acid.

The only trouble is that over four days i've gone through 2 pairs of batteries. One was the batteries it came with the other was the Maplin AA batteries that I use to power my X-box controller.

Are there more powerful, longer lasting batteries that can be used to power this thing? Or should I simply wait for battery technology to advance far enough to sustain this light for a reasonable length of time?

*Note, my current batteries ran out even though I used the low low setting. I'm not in the habit of blinding drivers.

angle it down aka like a dipped car and you'll not blind any one and like others, use rechargeable batteries. I have a number of them, they normally give 2hrs or so at full.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    non- rechargeable Lithium AA batteries might be the longest lasting option. like these:
    http://www.tantronics.co.uk/acatalog/Energizer_ULTIMATE_Lithium_Batteries.html

But could get expensive and not the best for the environment. Id go for a Ni-Mh re-chargeable batteries and charger. Anything with a rating of 2500mAh and above should be OK for a couple rides. Buy a couple sets and alternate them.

Im afraid that's prob the best you're going to get using such a high powered torch powered by measly AA batteries. Ideally for longer run times you'd want to use a torch that uses 18650 batteries.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've got some Duracells in the cupboard that I'm using along with Vapextech 2900s. Put the first pair in the light this morning with another pair in the plastic case they came in, dead handy to chuck in the bag. I paid £12 for 8 from Ebay.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Mrs. Vorsprung has just got a Ixon light. I have one set of good rechargables but I will probably get some more from 7dayshop. They have a good rep. and 2900mah AA are £4.59 for 4, inc delivery
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    alfablue wrote:
    I use these in my Fenix 2900mah NiMH batteries from Vapextech. £5.75 for 4 delivered. They have around 2550mah actual capacity (none reach the stated capacity but these are as good as any, even much pricier ones). I have been using them for several years now (usually buy 8 more per year and replace those that are "fading" - my charger can analyse them).

You need a "smart" charger like this one from Vapextech to get the best from your batteries (cheap chargers cook the cells).

Note: you need to use NiMH to get the best out of these LED torches, Alkalines will start to dim very early in the discharge, NiMH will maintain brightness for 90% of the discharge time.

Yep, on your recommendation I use those batts in my Fenix L2D (I think a precursor of the L20D). I find that they top out at about 2700MaH though, so not the 2900 advertised. They only last at full brightness for about 4 trips for me (so to and from work twice) before I have to change them, but that's fine because I've got loads and there's always a set charged and ready.

Actually, alfablue, while you're there I have a question for you as the resident battery expert. I have another brand of rechargeables (can't remember which now - possibly Ross), which are advertised as 2700MaH. They're now about 2 years old so have taken a hammering and at full charge only reach about 1.4 volts acc to my intelligent charger (Vapex come out at 1.45ish V after a full charge), yet the charger tells me that they reach over 3000MaH!! Why is that? It seems absurd that they have a higher MaH value than when new, yet the voltage is lower. In the torch they tend to throw a weaker beam for a shorter time than the Vapex ones...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.