We should allow drugs to be used

2»

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Indeed, it helps to discuss the issue.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The discussion should really be - how can we make cycling more fair?

Not a discussion about one possible solution.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    owenlars wrote:
    Nasty slippery slope in my view.

I agree, sadly I think it's a slippery slope that we're already part way down.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,796
    I actually agree with the legalisation of drugs in sport (all Sports) for the following reasons.
    Human evolution
    Genetic research
    Cures for disease.

Currently the biggest area for research in sport and the medical community is DNA, both the synthesis and the adaptations of.

Now before some one thinks I want to start killing cyclists Im talking about making drugs safe. Which they now are. Not the steroid based stuff of the 80’s.

If Drugs were legalised I also think It would cut the cost of drugs because a lot of the cost goes into masking agents, also where do you draw the line? Are isotonic not types of drugs.

The cross over and trickle down would have more benefits for the general public and humans as a species then it would negatives for sport.
    I want to see a 5 second 100m I also want to see man in space finding another habitable planet.
    Think about curing cancer, re-growing limbs and living longer healthier lives…………..

When the picture becomes that big the ‘Moral’ argument shifts.

you would still need regulatory limits . are supercharged mechanical hearts allowed?

the problem is always enforcement of the rules...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

you have to take out the high doping because the cost favours those with the big money contracts...often the high dopers.

we get stuck in a cycle where the "winners" take all.... Landis spending more money on doping and doctors than most pros earn was particularly galling IMO.

the penalties for doping are not severe enough..it pays even if you get caught..especially if it happens well into an established career as a star.

I would like to see a study on the positive health effects of doping especially some recovery products in major tours.. also some good data on the long term damage of riding major tours clean.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • I actually agree with the legalisation of drugs in sport (all Sports) for the following reasons.
    Human evolution
    Genetic research
    Cures for disease.

Currently the biggest area for research in sport and the medical community is DNA, both the synthesis and the adaptations of.

Now before some one thinks I want to start killing cyclists Im talking about making drugs safe. Which they now are. Not the steroid based stuff of the 80’s.

If Drugs were legalised I also think It would cut the cost of drugs because a lot of the cost goes into masking agents, also where do you draw the line? Are isotonic not types of drugs.

The cross over and trickle down would have more benefits for the general public and humans as a species then it would negatives for sport.
    I want to see a 5 second 100m I also want to see man in space finding another habitable planet.
    Think about curing cancer, re-growing limbs and living longer healthier lives…………..

you would still need regulatory limits . are supercharged mechanical hearts allowed?

why shouldnt enlarged hearts be allowed (in this argument), should we stop kenyan runners living in high alttitude?

why have rules? its the flouting and bending of rules that started this discussion.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    why have rules? its the flouting and bending of rules that started this discussion.
    Absolutely, think how much lower the prisons bill would be if we declared that murder, rape and robbery were no longer crimes!
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833

Do you have any ideas? I'm quite intrigued by your view on PEDs, and as you said the rules are arbitrary, so how can you make it more fair, wouldn't it be just making it different rather than fairer?

If you take the GTs, a big factor in route design is gradual favouring of the climbers over TTers. Each new route seems to place less importance on TTs whilst adding climbs. Ignoring PED (accusations) is it fair to say Mig would would find it harder today because of the reduction of TTs and the increase of climbs. I know he was no slouch going uphill but it wasn't his thing as such.
  • mididoctors
    I actually agree with the legalisation of drugs in sport (all Sports) for the following reasons.
    Human evolution
    Genetic research
    Cures for disease.

why shouldnt enlarged hearts be allowed (in this argument), should we stop kenyan runners living in high alttitude?

are you allowed to pay bystanders to take out your rivals?

at some point you will have to impose a limit?
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    So drugs that improve our natural potential are against the spirit of the sport?
    They are against your longevity.
    Bit like taking a rev limiter off a car engine.You can buy a new engine,but,not your health
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    On the theme of turning donkeys into thoroughbreds, as well as Bjarne Riis, we also have Claudio Ciapucci he was pretty useless until he got involved with the guys at CONI.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..