Dazed by incoming cars, what to do?

emac1987
emac1987 Posts: 15
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi everyone,

On my way back from work, I cycle through country lanes in the dark and I keep being dazed by incoming cars to the point where I actually can't see where I'm going! And the worst part is I think many cars don't bother switching their full beams off when they see me so I'm completely dazzled! It's really starting to annoy me and was wondering if anyone else had this problem and if so what did u do to overcome it??

Btw I have a somewhat powerful front light (between a commuting light and those ultra expensive lithium powered lights) so they must see me!

Thanks

Comments

• DCowling
    DCowling Posts: 769
    Hi
    I do not commute that often but when I do, I have the exact same problem, made worse by the fact it's a 50mph road and you start to stray to avoid the kerb / gutter until your vision returns.
    one thing I have tried and it helps, is to have another light set on " High Beam" and flash the car ( especially if its angled slightly toward them), this tends to alert them that they are dazzling you, but of course by then it's too late, and you need to be careful to only flash them.
    It's even worse when it's raining as I wear specs so when they are wet and the light hits them , it's like looking through a bathroom window
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I've got a properly bright Exposure light and many cars treat me like I'm a motorbike now. If not, a dip of the front beam usually provokes the same reaction from them. Other than that, I try not to look at their lights :-)
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    Dunno if it'd be effective enough but maybe wear a cycling cap or a peaked helmet so you can tilt your head down and block out some of the light
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    emac1987 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

On my way back from work, I cycle through country lanes in the dark and I keep being dazed by incoming cars to the point where I actually can't see where I'm going! And the worst part is I think many cars don't bother switching their full beams off when they see me so I'm completely dazzled! It's really starting to annoy me and was wondering if anyone else had this problem and if so what did u do to overcome it??

Btw I have a somewhat powerful front light (between a commuting light and those ultra expensive lithium powered lights) so they must see me!

Thanks

Wear a cap to block the car lights or a helmet with a peak
    Cars usually dip for me
    Maybe your "somewhat powerful" light is angled to blind drivers so they are giving you a taste of your own medicine? Just a thought
  • i had this problem, until i got some better lights. i now have 2 xpg torches (best thing i ever got) and the are mounted on rubber 2fish mounts. they tend to turn off the high beem well before it blinds me now (seem to be treated as a motorbike).

but the best bit is because the mounts are rubber i am able to flex them up at any cars that dont switch the high beem off, and that normally does the trick.
  • but the best bit is because the mounts are rubber i am able to flex them up at any cars that dont switch the high beem off, and that normally does the trick.

I tend to flick my hand across the beam of my light. Seems to be enough to wake up the sleepier drivers. My light has a more rigid mount which is probably good thing or it would bounce around a lot on the offroad sections of my commute. :D

Mike
  • i had this problem, until i got some better lights. i now have 2 xpg torches (best thing i ever got) and the are mounted on rubber 2fish mounts. they tend to turn off the high beem well before it blinds me now (seem to be treated as a motorbike).

but the best bit is because the mounts are rubber i am able to flex them up at any cars that dont switch the high beem off, and that normally does the trick.

+1

I got two MTE SSC [p7] torches from deal extreme.

I've not been dazzled since.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I still use the trick I learnt as a kid 35 years ago, when a car is coming shut one eye, as soon as its gone past open it and it will still have its night vision.

Don't really have a problem as they approach, I just use their light to see by.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I once had an accident for precisely this.

Was cycling down a long, straight road with no lights (it was in Cambridgeshire), which had a high grass verge.

At the other end, maybe 300-400m away a car was coming the other way with full beams.

Literally could not see any of the road, and ended up crashing into the grass verge. Broke my bike quite a bit and brused a few ribs - quite painful.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    I generally go 'aaaaaarrrrgggh, nooooooo, I can't see...'
  • Thx for the replies, some very good advice here n glad to see I'm not the only one dealing with this problem lol :P

will buy a cap and some ultra powerful lights in case u know what happens :twisted: hehe
  • Has your light got a strobe function? A second or two of this usually works for me... Other than that, I try to concentrate on the lines at the edge of the road - you see the potholes, follow the curve of the road, and because you're looking down a bit you don't get so dazzled
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I often stick my right hand out ahead, palm first, to cover the approaching lights. Doesn't help that much from a visibility perspective but makes it pretty obvious to the car that is blinding you that maybe they should dip.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I used to have this problem driving as well as cycling even if not high beam from the car coming along. Simple solution was don't look at the lights. Practically this was done by ensuring eye contact was focused on the near side kerb or white/yellow lines if there e.g. look down and left. Albeit ensuring you watch where your going at the same time.

Seems to have worked for me.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • MIW
    MIW Posts: 5
    Was going to ask same question after crashing into verge and then ditch at beginning of Dec after being blinded (was not even looking into lights) - got out of ditch to find cars stopped and also skidding into verge to avoid my bike that remained on road and the other cars - could have been really nasty!
    I bought more powerful lights and cover them with my hand if car does not dip - this appears to work more effectively now - but many cars and van have lights that are quite high and blindingly bright even when dipped - normally now have to slow, swear and turn my head away so I can see when they gone past.
    Take care
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I ride in the city so I don't have the full beam experience that often, but I have found that using the yellow lenses on the cycling glasses appears to dampen bright light and enhance low light.
  • I Have a helmet mounted flashy light that I use as a direct hard stare at such drivers and those that poke out over give way lines. A quick glance directly at them then away usually does the trick. Best not to try and out blind them as you'll be the thing they're most likely to crash into.