Cranks- Im sure Ive screwed them up-

Zephr
Zephr Posts: 60
edited January 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Out for a ride, absentmindedly didnt do up on of the pedals properly- (drive side crank)
going up a hill, pedal feels wobbly, look down and think in lots of expletives.

Seems like Ive totalled the pedal attachment thread in the crank... anything i can do apart from buy a new crank?

oh, and is it possible to get hold of just a right crank arm without the associated drive chain, or am I in for an expensive Do'h moment?

(crank is truvative Firex GSP)
cheers.
FCN 11. When you hear the buzz of the nobblies, you know youve been scalped.

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    You may be able to get a single crank arm if you look on ebay or something, but you may not have much luck.

You could get the crank arm re-tapped maybe, unless you've totally shagged it? In which case, it's probably fit for the bin.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    talk to your LBS they may have a thread saver insert.

and the RHD crank is the drive train.

the LBS "may" have one in that them "may" have removed the chain rings from.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    I managed to recue a thread on one of my crank arms once by threading the pedal in from the back (may have to use the other pedal I cant remember) but it was enough to get the threads back into shape.

Suppose it depends how bad the damage is?
  • Zephr
    yeah, tried rethreading the pedal from the back... that bit is perfect... its the thread on the outside of the crank that is monstered...

hmmm.
    anyone upgraded recently and feels like selling on some crank arms?!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Try ebay, raceface cranks tend to go pretty cheap on there, and they're decent. I got some fairly unused raceface evolve DH cranks on there for £60 a while back, £120ish RRP.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Zephr wrote:
    is it possible to get hold of just a right crank arm without the associated drive chain, or am I in for an expensive Do'h moment?
    I don't know of anywhere where chains are sold as part of a package with crank arms.
  • Zephr
    yep, looking at it now with calm and rational eyes, it looks like the thread has been stripped on the lateral part of the crank arm.

ah well.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    If it is good quality raceface stuff, they may repair it or if you ask nicely they might send you the arm for free.

I want to be clear here, by raceface I mean raceface, not the UK importer, they are lazy mendacious cunts (You may guess that I do not like it when people lie to me).
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Zephr
    as much as I would like it to, Truvativ isnt quite raceface...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Zephr wrote:
    yep, looking at it now with calm and rational eyes, it looks like the thread has been stripped on the lateral part of the crank arm.

ah well.

again talk to your LBS. they are fixable.

http://www.ison-distribution.com/englis ... t=2CY07850
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Zephr
    good knowledge nicklouse. shall give it a go.