My MTB...

Mr OCD
Mr OCD Posts: 382
edited April 2011 in Your mountain bikes
Thought would pop my MTB in here as only just found this section... :oops: :lol:

Bought my new Carrera Fury from Halfords just before Christmas after spending alot of time researching various options ... the Ultimate was close (same price) but I prefered the colour of the Fury plus it was available in 16" frame which felt better to me over the 18" ...

Pics:

Brand new...
1.jpg

After a quick 6 mile XC ride...
2.jpg

Me...
3.jpg

Some close ups...
mtb2.jpg
mtb1.jpg
mtb3.jpg

It has some nice kit on it and I'm very pleased with it... fitted crudcatcher racepack (after finding out the hard way about muddy trails), some lights and a bonragger mini pump... plan to fit some decent grips and then use it hard and see what breaks... :lol:
2009 Carrera Fury

Comments

• joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Very nice! Much better than the ultimate, so good choice!

U-turn 318 forks are great too!

Why, though do you have the fork's wound down so low?
    I like bikes and stuff
  • joshtp wrote:

im not sure, but i think the ones halfords sell dont have the u turn feature.
  • Mr OCD
    joshtp wrote:

im not sure, but i think the ones halfords sell dont have the u turn feature.

These do have U turn... :wink:

They are TORA RS 318 U turn (coil) ...

How do you mean forks wound down so low?
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Maybe he just likes how they feel when they're lower.

Good call anyway, the fury is much better than the vengeance ultimate.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Mr OCD
    ilovedirt wrote:

I've not changed anything from when I bought the bike... so not sure what you mean by the forks being low?
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • Mr OCD wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

I've not changed anything from when I bought the bike... so not sure what you mean by the forks being low?

I think he is talking about having the travel lowered, as most people run travel in the higher settings.

Nice lookin bike btw!
  • Mr OCD
    Mr OCD wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

I think he is talking about having the travel lowered, as most people run travel in the higher settings.

Nice lookin bike btw!

Cheers... :lol:

I'm pretty sure the travel is at maximum (135mm) but will check later tonight when out on it.
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • ilovedirt
    it does look a little lower in some of the photos, but that could be the camera angle
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Looks like its at 135 to me. Very smart bike mate!
  • Mr OCD
    Cheers guys ... I thought for the money I wouldnt have found a better bike unless I went second hand and ironically my last brand new bike was when I was 12yrs old so wanted brand new... trouble is now I'm paranoid about marking it ... :oops:

I will check the forks tonight but pretty sure they are at maximum as I deliberately set them that way to run them in over the XC stuff I was doing ...
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • Nice bike Scott, it will get muddy on Sat hopefully!!! :lol:
  • Mr OCD
    Nice bike Scott, it will get muddy on Sat hopefully!!! :lol:

Oh no doubt about it.. It gets washed after every trip out.. Lol
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • ilovedirt
    Mr OCD wrote:
    Cheers guys ... I thought for the money I wouldnt have found a better bike unless I went second hand and ironically my last brand new bike was when I was 12yrs old so wanted brand new... trouble is now I'm paranoid about marking it ... :oops:
    They're made to be thrown about a bit, scratches and chips just show you've used it properly! Man up and give it a proper thrash! :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • If your worried about marking it - take a look at helicopter tape - that what i'll be putting on my new rig to protect against cable rub and such like.
    Specialized FSR XC Expert 2010
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    UTurn, if they have it (they should) alters travel between 85 and 130mm. This gives a lot of tunabilty to feel and handling.

Experiment.
  • Mr OCD
    Yeah I know they are to be thrown about and get marked, etc but until the novelty of 'new bike' synodrome has worn off I will be fussy... :lol: I'm sure will get over it soon...

I messed with the U turn last night and they are definately on maximum travel ... when I turned them down to min the forks dropped about two inches which is about right.

They still seem a bit notchy at the moment but the techy ride out this weekend should solve that...

Quite fancy putting some decent grips / pedals and a QR seat post clamp on ... any recommendations?

Was thinking gold might look quite good against the gunmetal colour seeing as the graphics are gold? :wink:
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    oh, fair enough... they look like they'r at about 100mm to me..... lovely bike though!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Mr OCD
    Due to the frame simply being too small I've re-framed the components on to a borrowed frame until I make up my mind what frame to buy:

71620467.jpg

200f98b3.jpg

5e52ee07.jpg

Gears need setting up but once I've done that this evening will be taking out for a test ride :)
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • chrisjnr19
    chrisjnr19 Posts: 231
    that frame is definately an improvement... look at getting a white frame :)
    there is a white boardman pro frame on at around £120 on ebay. Check it out
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    How come the frame is too small all of a sudden?
  • Mr OCD
    How come the frame is too small all of a sudden?

Basically long story short I bought the wrong sized frame for my height after being told to buy on what feels 'right' ... Unfortunately what felt right wasnt right.

I actually need a 19inch frame roughly not the 16inch that I bought... Currently using this 18inch short term that is a vast improvement.
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • specialeyes
    K. Whatever feels right for you.....or not..I'm confused :D:D:D:D

So any idea what will be the permanent replacement?
  • Mr OCD
    Lol... It's more to do with correct positioning on the bike. Old frame (16) pushed me too far forward which resulted in pressure on wrists and neck when riding as couldn't stretch out properly which made descents and ascents tricky at best...

New frame... Merin Mount Vision :0)
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • specialeyes
    Haha I can imagine!
  • Mr OCD
    Well that didn't last long ...

New frame:
    Frameleftc.jpg
    2009 Carrera Fury