Wet Ar$e

Pufftmw
Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
OK, I think I'm going to have to succomb and get a rear mudguard as my backside was soaked this morning :roll:

I don't want one of them poncy wrap-around things that you get on tourers so what suggestions has everyone got for the ones that attach to the seat post? & where to get them?

I don't want to look a complete nonce & nothing thats going to make me wheelie every time I set off :D

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Race blades with do in most cases, full touring guards will do a better job and be more robust.

Depends on your vanity level. No one likes the "brown tail"
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • asquithea
    asquithea Posts: 145
    Full mudguards are the way to go IMHO.

Nothing says loser like a cyclist with a big black dirty stripe up his back.
    Try these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-chromoplast ... guard-set/
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've one of those sticky out swan-neck affairs (which I think came from Wiggle). It's very good, clamps to the seat post but has a quick-release feature for those days when you know it's going to be dry.

www.wiggle.co.uk/zefal-swan-road-rear-mudguard/

zefal-swan-road-med.jpg
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    itboffin wrote:
    Race blades with do in most cases, full touring guards will do a better job and be more robust.

Raceblades are fine for keeping your backside dry, but they don't do such a good job for the bike. The back of your seat tube will still get a good splattering. I've had to do quite a bit of cleaning recently, and I've been tempted to get some P-clips and full guards although I might not be able to squeeze them under the brakes.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    A pair of these sort me out....

http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?de ... rod_id=114

Race blades and mudguards failed on both my bikes....luckily, not too spectacularly.

So, I waterproof up and boil in the bag! Make sure I scalp like a mofo in the rain......not that anyone else was riding this morning.....
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    gtvlusso wrote:

Race blades and mudguards failed on both my bikes....luckily, not too spectacularly.

So, I waterproof up and boil in the bag! Make sure I scalp like a mofo in the rain......not that anyone else was riding this morning.....

Strangely, I was wearing a pair of these this morning but my jacket rode up & t-shirt got so drenched, I got said wet ar$e...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,165
    Have a look at Cycra Guards. Work well for me.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I use a set of these on my mtb and commuter, and they get the job done. No wet ar$es here this morning.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=36521
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    put some full length mudguards on, save the rest of us behind you from a dirty soaking as well.
  • gtvlusso
    Pufftmw wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Strangely, I was wearing a pair of these this morning but my jacket rode up & t-shirt got so drenched, I got said wet ar$e...

Buy yourself a bigger jacket or fit a smaller ar$e :-)

* no offence intended.....
  • gtvlusso
    gaz545 wrote:
    put some full length mudguards on, save the rest of us behind you from a dirty soaking as well.

MTFU and overtake!

Ah - you were the dude who was "done" by a girl and filmed it!

:-)
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    gtvlusso wrote:
    gaz545 wrote:

MTFU and overtake!

Ah - you were the dude who was "done" by a girl and filmed it!

:-)
    Yes, she overtook me as i was waiting behind the cyclists in front of me because it wasn't safe to overtake. I take it you remember what happened after that? ;)

If it's not safe to overtake, I won't
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    itboffin wrote:

It's ironic that people don't want full mudguards due to vanity, when the alternative is to look like you've had a particularly bad "post curry" movement.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    gaz545 wrote:
    Yes, she overtook me as i was waiting behind the cyclists in front of me because it wasn't safe to overtake. I take it you remember what happened after that? ;)

If it's not safe to overtake, I won't

Sorry, I know it's poor form to thread-bump, but did you see my reply on your Day01 thread on the Road Bikes channel, gaz545?

/skulks off to behave.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I neither care what people think nor do I care about producing a rooster-tail of spray behind me. I can count on the fingers of one finger how many people I pass in a month and I can count on the fingers of one fingerless glove how many people passed me last year. I do care about getting a wet sh!tty arse. The Zefal Swan thing does the job.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I use a rack with a deck and a small seat stay brace mounted jobbie that covers the back of the seat tube, no wet skid marks on my derrier!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Altura Attack Waterproof shorts work for me combined with a TopPeak Rack.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Drayk
    Drayk Posts: 45
    I got a pair of mudguards from poundland! They do the job....cant complain.
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    hey OP is that a dig at us types with full guards :D

They eliminante nearly all the nasty muck coming up so you need minimum bike cleaning and save destroying your gear through constant laundering or marks becoming more permanent
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

They certainly can be beaten unless you get a Neoguard as well. Otherwise you face catches all the spray thrown forward between the fork crown and bridge.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    Rolf F wrote:

They certainly can be beaten unless you get a Neoguard as well. Otherwise you face catches all the spray thrown forward between the fork crown and bridge.

+1.

I binned my front cruddie in favour of a Topeak MX style front guard that bolts on to the bottom of the steerer - looks ridiculous on a skinny-tired bike, mind.

Full length guards are the way forward.
    Rules are for fools.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    W1 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

It's ironic that people don't want full mudguards due to vanity, when the alternative is to look like you've had a particularly bad "post curry" movement.

mmm curry
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I'd say that if your bike can take proper, full mudguards then just cut to the chase and fit some. Failing that Crud Roadracers, and failing that then the half-a-job clip on ones.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Waddlie wrote:
    I binned my front cruddie in favour of a Topeak MX style front guard that bolts on to the bottom of the steerer - looks ridiculous on a skinny-tired bike, mind.

Full length guards are the way forward.

I thought about that approach but decided I didn't want my MTB looking like a motorbike with the engine fallen out :lol:

The Neoguard is actually pretty good. Doesn't deal with the old crud problem of spray in the face when cornering but that only really applies when off roading and mud in the face is all part of the fun for that!
    Faster than a tent.......