I'm Loving This Fixed SS Thing

Mark Elvin
Mark Elvin Posts: 997
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
Went out for a 20mile ride last night after tea on the fixie & I must say I'm loving it, it totally changes the way you ride, having to think alot more in traffic etc.

I was worried I'd get bored just being stuck in one gear, but no, it actually seams to focus your mind more on the riding rather than pissing about worrying about what gear is best, as case of "just get on with it" really.
2012 Cannondale Synapse

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Welcome to "real" cycling!

next you will be upping your gear to 80" + to look more manly!
  • gtvlusso wrote:

80"!!!!! Flip, I'm only running 48-19 atm.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    It is a hoot isn't it Mark, but 68.2"? Have you got a pair?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

80"!!!!! Flip, I'm only running 48-19 atm.

That's for bike polo though right, what about when you're on the road? :wink:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Some of us have hills to climb.....

to be fair, I am running 44 x 15 at the moment. And I am gonna move that up to 44 x 16 very soon as the old knees struggle at the top of Cleve Hill.....and passing out in the office is not really a good thing...

Used to run 50 x 15 to my old job - I don't think I am anywhere near LiT gear territory though :-(
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    * paging L_I_T to this thread
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    when I get some fettling time this weekend I'll be converting the pink pub poser to fixed.

I'll be starting on 42:16 but I also have a 13 track sprocket that i got on the cheap which I may have to give a go. :twisted:
    Hat + Beard
  • 42:18 on the Genesis, that said, I have knobbly tyres to drag round with me.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    I really love the fixed thing, not sure I get the point of SS. I'm running 48x18 which gives me enough top end for commuting and I can just about struggle up hills.
    It feels really strange now when I get on the road bike at the weekend and freewheel, I think it has also made me pedal more constantly and take less mini breaks.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    hatbeard wrote:
    when I get some fettling time this weekend I'll be converting the pink pub poser to fixed.

I'll be starting on 42:16 but I also have a 13 track sprocket that i got on the cheap which I may have to give a go. :twisted:

your commute is flat right? you're going fixed?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • flicksta
    flicksta Posts: 157
    50:12 SS on my Brompton. About to head up to 54:12. Ouch. Double ouch on 170mm cranks.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Even my "spinny" gear is 51/18ish. Run 51/15 most of the time.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    Clever Pun wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

your commute is flat right? you're going fixed?

only on my pub bike, my daily commuter is my tricross.

on my commute there's only two quick up and overs and the tooley street approach to london bridge in terms of 'hills/slopes'.
    Hat + Beard
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    flicksta wrote:
    50:12 SS on my Brompton. About to head up to 54:12. Ouch. Double ouch on 170mm cranks.

Impressive, if the wheels were not the size of a dinner plate :wink:
  • flicksta
    flicksta wrote:

That's the problem. 120RPM 50:12 only delivers 25mph. Even 54:12 is only 27mph. Too slow! Imagine my disappointment when I went to change the 13t for a 12t at the weekend, only to find it was already a 12t.

54:12 is going to hurt. MTFU will be required, but will also deliver many unopened cans of whoop-ass, ready for opening.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Meh! All this talk of different gears. Unless your commute is flat, you're in the wrong gear 90% of the time anyway with a fixed gear bike so don't worry about it :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    flicksta wrote:

Indeed. My Dahon (20" wheels) has a habit of chucking the chain off the front when changing gear (no front mech), so I tend to leave it in 52:13, which is fine unless I need to get away from some lights in a hurry.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I've actually just gone back to using a freewheel sprocket on my SS and I have to say, I way prefer it for the commute. I'm so retro cool.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    flicksta wrote:
    ...That's the problem. 120RPM 50:12 only delivers 25mph. ....

But 120rpm is cruising territory. Unless you're cruising at 25mph (chapeau!) then you should be good for 35mph plus in a sprint.

You only need big gears on a fixie if your technique is poor and you can't spin. Unless you can push your 80" gear to 150rpm you're just embarrasing yourself claiming that it's Manly.

Cheers,
    W.

PS :-)
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Talking up big gears on a Brompton is meaningless because of the much smaller wheels. 54:12 on 16" tyres is ~70", which is completely normal.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Rolf F wrote:
    Meh! All this talk of different gears. Unless your commute is flat, you're in the wrong gear 90% of the time anyway with a fixed gear bike so don't worry about it :lol:

My commute is flat, except for when I choose it not to be.

Was using 48x15 on my previous setup, new (old) bike turned up with 46x16 which I was going to change but I like spinning a bit more.

Originally went single speed when I realised I was only using 2 or 3 gears on the normal commute, love the single speed bike for commuting now. I still love the geared bike for longer weekend rides though.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    flicksta wrote:

But 120rpm is cruising territory. Unless you're cruising at 25mph (chapeau!) then you should be good for 35mph plus in a sprint.

You only need big gears on a fixie if your technique is poor and you can't spin. Unless you can push your 80" gear to 150rpm you're just embarrasing yourself claiming that it's Manly.

Cheers,
    W.

I could well have my maths wrong - but a quick fag packet calculation gives (for 80")
    84rpm 20mph, 100rpm 23.9mph, 120rpm 28.6mph and 150rpm 35.8mph. And no, I can't maintain a 150rpm cadence :D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • flicksta
    flicksta wrote:

Cheers,
    W.

I have a 6.5mile flat commute, which I use for interval training and building strength. Basically I go like fuck from start to finish, time trialling any safe sections or if I catch a green wave.

16" wheel 50:12 is 70 GI.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    anyone a link to all these different ratios as im confused

All i know is i ride 44 x 17 and my commute is not flat at all but i like the challenge :)
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    andy83 wrote:
    anyone a link to all these different ratios as im confused
    Gear ratio calculator
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    cheers, did find that on the old google but wouldnt work in chrome
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Mark Elvin

Pushing around 44:16 in Brizzle city centre and elsewhere when not going to/from work and find it OK, also ideal for the climb on the cyclepath and most of the hills I've attempted.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • for flat outer london and a route though Bushy Park etc 48.16 or 80inch gearing is fine for the pottering, it is a tad slow off the mark but allows for a decent lick of speed on the open road.

SS as mine is for utility cheap transport really.