Avid Rotors and Mud Clearing

dwclay99
dwclay99 Posts: 100
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Is it me or are these rotor's rubbish at getting rid of grit?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    There are quite a few Avid rotor pattern - which are you refering to?
  • It's you, mine do it just as well as any other given the current conditions I'm afraid
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    My G3CS clear mud awesomely well.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Some manufactures and now using taper bore technology with the pads have a greater clearance so you get less rubbing with grit in the disc.
  • dwclay99
    i guess its me then as i'm using lastest cleansweep g3
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    dwclay99 wrote:
    i guess its me then as i'm using lastest cleansweep g3
    And the caliper being?
  • dwclay99
    slx shimano
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i am an avid fan of avid brakes (see what i did there ) :D

Codes on the DH bike, elixirs on the hardtail.

Never noticed the issue more than with any other brakes I have used, including shimano, hopes, or hayes.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • cee wrote:
    i am an avid fan of avid brakes (see what i did there ) :D

Codes on the DH bike, elixirs on the hardtail..
    I also have Codes on the All mountain and Elixirs on the HT, no mud issues at all and both bikes are shod with CSG3 discs
  • I hate my Elixir Carbon CR's, there not a patch on the Hope Tech X2's that went with my old bike when it was half inched!!!

I too have had mega clearance problems on the rotors they pick all kinds of crap up and squeal and grind all day long after the first mile or so!!! Ive tried standard pads, sintered pads, orgainic pads all in OEM and after market versions over the last 12 months. Ive had the standard G3 clean sweeps and the older G2's as recomended by my LBS I even tried my old spare hope floating rotors (which made it worse). Even copper slipping the back of the pads but nothing sorts it.

I strip and clean them once a week at the mo and cant wait for the birthday fairy to arrive so i can spunk on some new hopes.
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    I've never had any issue with my Avid Jucy 5's
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    ooooh, how do you get to get mut on your disc? you riding through 1.2 m deep mud?

(maybe I should get out more into the mud, up to now not hd any issues with mud on discsm rims and v-brakes is antoehr issue).
  • Not all mud / crud is created equally
    There are some that just adhere to sufraces better than others and I've discoverd this real time though Land Rover, enduro / MX motorcycle and MTB ownership
    This could be the contributing factor to your brake woes....