Audax and mudguards

jamsop
jamsop Posts: 51
Hi,

I'm entering my first Audax ride this weekend. I've received a letter with the route plan and a brief. It states that due to it being wet recently we need to have mudguards fitted.

I already have a set crud roadracer MK1's. Do these count or will I upset people at the Audax?

Thanks

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    No, you'll be fine. The mudguard requirement is merely advisory these days but on a wet day or a wet route it's more pleasant for both you and fellow riders if you have some guards fitted.
    M.Rushton
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    jamsop wrote:
    I already have a set crud roadracer MK1's. Do these count ?

Yes
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I did the 2nd of the Norfolk Nips Audaxes in December, you'd have looked like the swamp thing if you'd have had no mudguards on after that, some of the roads were bogging!
  • jamsop wrote:
    Hi,

I already have a set crud roadracer MK1's. Do these count or will I upset people at the Audax?

Can't see why - so long as they protect you from gathering crud up your backside and you then patronise a well-groomed cafe control.

mrushton wrote:
    No, you'll be fine. The mudguard requirement is merely advisory these days but on a wet day or a wet route it's more pleasant for both you and fellow riders if you have some guards fitted.

I am afraid that is not totally correct. AUK as part of its slow march towards modernisation dropped the requirement for mudguards on all of their events some years ago but If the organiser specifies mudguards as a requirement on the application form then it is enforceable. If the organiser states that mudguards are a requirement after the point of application, then it is tough titty on them!

Most organisers no longer make it mandatory and only give out advisories for their winter rides. It was rather daft when some of the old fashioned luddites insisted on mudguards no matter how good the conditions were but fortunately they are few and far between. There are the odd few events we the mandatory requirement is justifiable, for example, they use off-road or dirty lanes in winter.

The logic behind the mudguard advisory or mandatory requirement is to ensure that cafes are not overwhelmed with fithy cyclist spoiling their clean establishment. As an organiser myself, I issue an 'advisory' but have I the full knowledge that my controls are bomb-proof for wet cyclists plus the venues gain the income from at least 240 customers on the day.
  • jamsop
    Thanks for the replies. So it looks like I don’t need to go out and buy a bigger pair of guards after all.

I didn't realise that the reason for having guards was mainly for rider benefit so we are nice and clean to have our cuppa and cake!
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Its not only good for the rider, but also so that any following rider doesn't get covered in crap aswell!!
  • danowat wrote:
    Its not only good for the rider, but also so that any following rider doesn't get covered in crap aswell!!

....or don't ride behind a cyclist without mudguards.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    ....or don't ride behind a cyclist without mudguards.
    Even when they have mudguards fitted, a lot of the time they aren't long enough.

When I had SKS guards on my Basso, I fitted an extension to the rear for extra drafter protection.

bodged_basso_007.jpg
  • jamsop
    danowat wrote:

Thats was what I meant. I initially thought this was the reason why they wanted us to have them.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    I take much amusement when riders without mudflaps on their mudguards complain about
    my bright lights when riding behind me on sh*t coverd roads and lanes. I always tell them
    it's also not pleasant riding behind them too. :wink: