levers

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited January 2011 in MTB general
what way do you your gear/brake levers?

gears outside brakes

or

brakes outside gears

I'm struggling to find a comfortable position for my x9 shifters.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Sorry - I got XTR so the shifter moves.

Although lever length does play a part my Elixirs are less senstive where I run them compared to my Forulas that are genuine 2 finger
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Brakes outside the gears on all the bikes. it seems more intuitive to me, but i've never really played around with it, most of the shimano shifters i've had weren't able to be run outboard.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Gears inside- I'd rather the other way around, but the shift indicator means it just doesn't work. Can't get comfy for one finger braking, which is annoying.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Gears on the outside (X9 and Juicy 7s)
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • X7 shifters on the inside of the Code levers, ideal for two finger braking for my hand size
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    The Northern Monkey - do you have Avid Elixir brakes? If so thought about Match Maker?
  • nah... XT. avids are crap :P
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    gears, then brakes, then grips :D (working outwards obviously :lol: )
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    After a number of comedy gear lever/baggy shorts moments, my shifters are as far away from the grips as possible.
  • I run mine brake levers inside the gears, looks a bit weird, but functions fine, and makes the braking alot easier to trail.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Gears then levers (XT pods (no indicators) and Formula Oro)

Did try the other way round, but it was too crammed
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    welshkev wrote:

This, but with approx 15mm gap between the grips and the brakes so they're perfect for one-finger braking. Running XT shifters and XT brakes on bike, XT shifters and Hope minis on other.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    welshkev wrote:

This, but with approx 15mm gap between the grips and the brakes so they're perfect for one-finger braking. Running XT shifters and XT brakes on bike, XT shifters and Hope minis on other.
    Yep, i run a sizeable gap between the brake levers and the grips so i can one-finger brake, it's definitely the way forward.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Mine go grip-shifter-brakes. Perfect for one finger braking, I do run a sizable gap between the shifter and grip and brake and shifter as well but Formula lever's are quite long
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    Grip, 1/2" gap, Brake, Shifter.
    tried it the other way (shifter in gap) but kept banging my fingers on the shifter.
    XT shifters & Juicy 3 brakes.
  • hmmmmm.

I'm gonn have a play before I set up my gears tonight.

My main problem is that I 1 finger brake, so I like my gears closer to my grips so I can space the brakes properly.
    But it usually means I can't get my shifters in the right place :(
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    grip gap shifter gap brakes.

i always use one finger for braking, so like my braking finger to sit just in the knuckle at the end of the elixir/code levers.

i dont think there is actually a right or wrong way to set this up though...it will depend on the size of your hands and whether you use one or two (or the full fist brake grip of death) for braking..

play around and see whats more comfy....

also...it might be possible to bin the shifter windows to get the fit just right... i removed them on my xt shifters..
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • cee
    Yea I was just wondering what other people use!

I'm pretty much the same as you I think.

what sort of angle do you have your levers at on the bars? I always set mine up before riding, but then when I get out riding I have to change it again :lol:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    cee
    what sort of angle do you have your levers at on the bars? I always set mine up before riding, but then when I get out riding I have to change it again :lol:

on the dh bike.....they are almost but not quite level with the bars
    on the hardtail.....a little bit more angled down.....but not too much...

basically...so that they are in a straight line with my arms depended on what i am riding....

i haven't actually moved them once since setting them up the first time.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.