Front suspension

Dazza Doom
Dazza Doom Posts: 50
edited January 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi guys/gals,

Got a set of rock shox dart 3 forks on my bike; has a lockout on one leg and preload on t'other.
Thing is, lock out isnt on (but does work) and preload is set all the way to (-) but there doesnt seem to be much movement in the forks. I can push it down a bit but wouldnt say they were exactly 'fluid'. They definatly do 'sag' when i get on the bike though

Being a bit of a beginner i wasnt sure how they should behave? Are they working without me knowing? Am i missing the whole point of them?

Any info would be great! :D

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    how much sag?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Got to be honest i dont know. :roll:
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    er check? Those forks are budget so won't feel that plush.

Make sure it's not locked out and push down on the bars and stem to see how much travel you can get out of them trying really hard - put a ziip tie round to gauge - should be about 70 -100mm
  • Dont have a garage so will have to check tommorow when its light.

I measure the sag by pushing zip tie down, getting on bike, getting off bike and measureing the difference right?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yep - in your normal riding attire. do it a few times though
  • the most travel i can get out of my dart 3's is about 50mm, i think that that is the most that dart 3 forks can move :(
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What do you weigh?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Couple of pound under 15 stone. :? (im working on that)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Please measure the sag.
  • cooldad
    Dazza Doom wrote:
    Couple of pound under 15 stone. :? (im working on that)

I wasn't getting personal, but with coil forks a light person won't get much travel if the spring is too firm (or vice versa).
    But that probably isn't the case. (I'm sure it's all muscle)
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    All forks need time to bed in, so if these are brand new, give them maybe 10 hours of riding and see how they improve.

Could try speeding up the rebound a couple of clicks too (not 100% sure this is a feature, but if they do have it, it will be the adjustment knob at the bottom right leg).
  • Well didnt get home from work late and its chucking it down so will have to do the measurements tomorrow night.

Thanks for all the comments so far guys,,,,, :wink:
  • D4V1D
    D4V1D Posts: 233
    I've got Dart 3's on my Cube Acid. There is also a valve on the under side of the fork under the lock out leg. I think it controls the rebound speed from fast to slow.
    I'm not a racer, but I like to churn out 2-3hr rides,
    I love Cannock and Llandegla cycle parks.
    Cube Acid 2010
    Upgraded RockShox Reba RL Forks, twin air.
    Updrade RockShox dropper seat post.
    Went tubeless DIY style using a 20" BMX tube. Lasting well.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, is a rebound adjuster.
  • Managed to get some measurements tonight:

Travel = 70mm
    Sag = 15mm

I did notice that the forks did seem to be alot less harder to push down than the other night after my ride, maybe be wrong though. (might have been knackered!)

So do they seem about right?
  • Do the above measurements seem about right, or do i need to start adjusting things?
  • cooldad
    Pretty close, maybe a mm or two more sag but that might be difficult to adjust.
    How does it ride? Try some bumps.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    70mm seems normal. Maybe a little soft.
    You shouldn't really be able to get full travel out of them without dropping of something or hitting a large bump, very fast.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    With that sag and your declared weight I'd be tempted to speed up the rebound a click and see if the ride feels better dampened as a result.