Bottom bearing cup - Where do I get it???

carrera_vulcan
carrera_vulcan Posts: 125
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Hi,

I bought a Rock Shox Tora 318sl second hand for my bike but it doesn't have a bottom bearing cup. Isn't that the small ring that you put on the bottom of the steerer?

I tried to take the cup from my old fork but it is too tight and I can't!

Can you tell me where I can buy them and how much do they cost because I searched in the Halfords website and in the chainreactioncycles website but when i write 'bottom bearing cup' i get something for the cranks which is £140!

Can you help please!!!

Comments

• you mean the crown race.

You need to get the old one off your old forks... they're a very tight fit.. try and get a knife under it and slowly work around it.

If al else fails, take the old forks to your lbs to remove it.
  • If you can wait a couple of days and my new headset comes with one (which it should do) then you can have my old one should i get it off undamaged (can't see why not).
    Hoping headset will come tomorrow or thursday latest so it's up to you mate. I can just put it in a envelope FOC
  • ricardo_smooth
    The crown race is headset specific. You would need to have the exact same headset as the OP.
  • If you can wait a couple of days and my new headset comes with one (which it should do) then you can have my old one should i get it off undamaged (can't see why not).
    Hoping headset will come tomorrow or thursday latest so it's up to you mate. I can just put it in a envelope FOC

OK thanks a lot, I will check if I can take them off tomorrow and if I can't I can use yours.
    Do you have a paypal account so I can pay you?
    I will see tomorrow if I can take it off and I will tell you!

Thank You
  • ricardo_smooth
    The crown race is headset specific. You would need to have the exact same headset as the OP.

Ok, thank you very much!
  • carrera_vulcan
    Is it the same headset?

What make is yours?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    If you can wait a couple of days and my new headset comes with one (which it should do) then you can have my old one should i get it off undamaged (can't see why not).

OK thanks a lot, I will check if I can take them off tomorrow and if I can't I can use yours.
    Do you have a paypal account so I can pay you?
    I will see tomorrow if I can take it off and I will tell you!

Thank You

FFS crown races are rarely interchangeable.

Go to your LBS with the frame (as it has the headset fitted) and see if they have one that will work with it.

also i think you are rather confused.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • If it's a STD specialized 1 1/8 loose ball then it's the same, if not then I guess it won't fit.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    There should be a small depression on the crown under one side of the race. Stick the end of a small screwdriver in and whack it with a hammer. Once the crown race has moved a fraction, stick it in a bit further round and continue until it's loosened all the way round.

Hammers are your friend.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Again, it depends on the headset. you can get crown races for certain types.

I use FSA orbit Z3s on my bikes and now have a spare set of forks (unless anyone wants to buy a set of tora 318 coil u turns.) which will get an orbit Z crown race installed for if/when I break or have a set serviced :wink:
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Thanks a lot to all!