Report bad drivers?

Dav3m
Dav3m Posts: 84
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
On my way home this evening, not only did I nearly get knocked off if it weren't for good brakes (driver not looking right on a roundabout) but I had a bad experience with an aggressive post office van.

I was heading past Vauxhall station, I'd just turned left from Albert Embankment and was under the bridge when I heard a vehicle travelling/accelerating at speed at beeping the horn. I looked over my left shoulder and the vehicle passed by my left, still beeping at me and then cut me up with very little room to spare. Once past me, he was beeping at pedestrians to get out of the way (he was the first car to get to the crossing, due to the speed travelling).

I was in the second lane (from left) as I was turning right, driver came through on first left hand lane and cut into the third lane to turn right:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 25,,0,10.5

This story might be a bit non eventful, but the aggressiveness of the driver really annoyed me so I rememebred his reg plate.

I think I should report him, but I wouldn't want to get anyone fired, but likewise I wouldn't want anyone to be injured or worse killed by dangerous and unneccessary behavior. Do you report bad drivers?

Comments

• I would, if there was decent proof. If not, then reporting them is unfortunately a waste of everyone's time
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

All wrenching and no riding makes me frickin' angry...
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I reported it when I was hit (didn't go down) and the driver just carried on. To be honest I was made to feel like I was wasting everyone's time. I didn't hit the deck, but the collision was hard enough to knock my bars out by about 40 degrees and mark the end of my bar end. There must have been damage to the car as well. I wanted to report it for the statistic if nothing else, but I won't bother next time unless I catch it on camera.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Dav3m wrote:
    On my way home this evening, not only did I nearly get knocked off if it weren't for good brakes (driver not looking right on a roundabout) but I had a bad experience with an aggressive post office van.

I was heading past Vauxhall station, I'd just turned left from Albert Embankment and was under the bridge when I heard a vehicle travelling/accelerating at speed at beeping the horn. I looked over my left shoulder and the vehicle passed by my left, still beeping at me and then cut me up with very little room to spare. Once past me, he was beeping at pedestrians to get out of the way (he was the first car to get to the crossing, due to the speed travelling).

I was in the second lane (from left) as I was turning right, driver came through on first left hand lane and cut into the third lane to turn right:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 25,,0,10.5

This story might be a bit non eventful, but the aggressiveness of the driver really annoyed me so I rememebred his reg plate.

I think I should report him, but I wouldn't want to get anyone fired, but likewise I wouldn't want anyone to be injured or worse killed by dangerous and unneccessary behavior. Do you report bad drivers?

Bear in mind that, if it was a Royal Mail van (out of the 9 Elms South London sorting office?), a number of his/her colleagues still work on bikes. Life would perhaps be safer for those posties if they didn't have idiot colleagues bullying people around on the roads. I think you should report it for their sakes.
  • Bear in mind that, if it was a Royal Mail van (out of the 9 Elms South London sorting office?), a number of his/her colleagues still work on bikes. Life would perhaps be safer for those posties if they didn't have idiot colleagues bullying people around on the roads. I think you should report it for their sakes.

+1 on that. If it's a company vehicle, I'd definitely send an e-mail to the company, that'd probably be likely to do the most good.
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    You could start here. Assuming that by Post Office you meant Royal Mail and Not Parcel Force

Royal Mail Customer Services

Web: www.royalmail.com/customerservices

Telephone: 8am – 6.00pm, Monday to Friday
    8am - 1.00pm on Saturdays
    From within UK: 08457 740 740
    International callers: +44 1752387112
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    I report bad drivers, there should be no place for them on the roads!
  • gaz545 wrote:
    I report bad drivers, there should be no place for them on the roads!

You do have definitive proof though; drivers no doubt find it difficult to say that their driving wasn't dangerous with the caped crusader of cyclists filming them! :p
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

• Dav3m
    Dav3m Posts: 84
    Sketchley wrote:
    You could start here. Assuming that by Post Office you meant Royal Mail and Not Parcel Force

Yeah I did mean Royal Mail. Looks like I confused most of you, I didn't mean report it to the police (agree - waste of time) but to his employer since I'd hope they have a log of who had which van at which time.
  • xcmad
    xcmad Posts: 110
    +1 for reporting him. Next week he could knock someone off, if you help prevent a future accident you're work is done.
  • DickieH
    DickieH Posts: 24
    I think I should report him, but I wouldn't want to get anyone fired
    Very good of you, but he clearly doesent give a monkey's about you. I'd do him for sure.

Id be really surprised if they would/could sack him based on that. Would probably just get a ticking off.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Nothing like a letter from the Old Bill to make him think twice about being a knob in future...

http://www.met.police.uk/roadsafelondon/
  • I always report.

Who's to say he hasn't done it before and won't do it again.

Someone else might have reported the same incident also.
    Ridley Noah for the road.
    Gary Fisher Tassajara for the trail.
  • I've reported liveried vehicles and received positive responses.

Although when an IDEAL SCAFFOLDING lorry from Woolwich tailgated me on Hackney Road and the passenger threw gum and fag butts at me the chap on the phone couldn't have cared less and hung up. I nurtured elaborate revenge scenarios for weeks.
  • noodles71
    noodles71 Posts: 153
    I had one of these idiots nearly wipe me out at Deptford. I followed him back to base and went all the way in behind him yelling and making an ass of myself. I think he felt scared as he started yelling sorry that he didn't see me. Pretty much the whole sorting office had made their way out by now so with him grovelling an apology in front of his collegues I figured that was enough. His manager did say that the vans are fitted with tacho's that can be checked in the event of incidents but they themselves are not much evidence to prove someone was driving like a idiot.