Anyone done jogle, advice appreciated

2»

Comments

• andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    My tips would probably be - plan your route to ride some loIvely rides, don't get fixated on doing the shortest distance possible. Get your fueling strategy right - make sure you eat and drink lots and lots, you will need the energy! Do it at the pace you feel comfortable with. If you ride with others and ride as a "team" it will be easier (I rode a lot of it solo for personal reasons, but really noticed when I got in a group how much of difference it made). Get the gearing right on your bike and make sure it is ready to do 1000 mile

Thanks for them. When you say about the lovely rides, its part of my wanting to do JOGLE as opposed to LEJOG. I want to end up in lands end as opposed to John O'Groats and also will be a long journey back. Im quite good at fuelling and am fine eating on the bike. The shortest route possible doesnt bother me, just want to enjoy myself.

I am going to be having some people join me for at least one leg hopefully, and also may be having someone meet me in edinburgh for the night and also staying with friends / family in birmingham and western. I appreciate the benefits of riding in a team but I see it as more of a challenge doing it on my own and last year I had a, lets say turbulant year so I want some time to reflect and just have some me time. My bike will be given a good once over before I leave, and just had a new 105 groupset put on so all that should be fine.

Lastant - yes I did look at a lot of your blog and kind of copied the route if you dont mind, im rubbish at planning maps and stuff (which is why i really need a garmin) I have amended a few legs to reduce the days, I am now not going to morcambe but straight through to accrington along the yorkshire dales, and then from there through to birmingham along the peak district.

FeynmanC - you have pm, thanks

Lets face it I will prob never get chance to do this again, well not for a long whilst if I want to start a family so no time like the present. My fitness is good, I love riding my bike, just my I think its going to be more of a mental challenge but I can always sing to myself lol
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    I've bookmarked your blog Andy - it looks good so far. Someone at work has started a site for us and when it's developed a bit I'll put a link up, although the Wordpress looks better!

What day are you setting off? We're still trying to configure a route which passes Barnard Castle as we have a stopover opportunity there with beds and hot food!!!
    Still breathing.....
  • andy83
    Cheers, I ran a blog on blogger last year but this looks loads better imo

As for the day im setting off im not really sure, I would kind of like to over lap it so Im getting paid halfway through the journey for an added bit of cash if needed. With bank holidays and stuff I may well be looking around 22nd or 23rd as I may be able to get a lift to John O'groats (yes from birmingham) or at least up to scotland

My stop over oppurtunities are birmingham and western, im asking anyone if they know someone I can stay with and potentially got a few places in scotland I could stay, Oh and a BIG maybe of a chance of a bed in st agnes but not 100% sure yet
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    It's interesting that lastant only lost 2lbs over the entire 1000 odd miles. it just goes to show you that what you put in counts as much as what you take out :D
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    ellieb wrote:
    It's interesting that lastant only lost 2lbs over the entire 1000 odd miles. it just goes to show you that what you put in counts as much as what you take out :D

Ha ha...to be honest, I was glad to lose that much! Behold, the diet of this LEJOG-er... ;)

FOOD

2 Full English Fry-Ups
    1 Cheeseburger and Chips
    1 Cod and Chips
    1 Chips
    1 Steak and Kidney Pie, Chips and Peas
    1 Venison Burger and Chips
    2 Apple Pie and Custard
    29 Brownies / Buns / Cakes / Muffins
    (Made up of; 4 Cakes, 1 Chelsea Bun, 4 Currant Buns, 1 Chocolate Brownie, 1 Chocolate Muffin, 5 Flapjacks, 1 Havva Cake, 5 Jaffa Cake Bars, 6 Shortbread packets and 1 Sponge Cake)
    9 Doughnuts
    2 Packets of Crisps
    3 Ice Creams
    (Made up of; 2 Magnums and 1 Snickers)
    3 Pizzas
    8 Rolls or Sandwiches
    (Made up of; 1 BLT, 1 Brunch Triple, 1 Chicken and Mayo, 2 Chicken and Stuffing, 1 Chicken and Sweetcorn, 1 Ham and Salad and 1 Tuna)
    1 Chicken Pasta
    2 Steak Slices
    3 lots of Soreen
    (Made up of; 2 loaves and 1 Snack Pack)
    2 Mule Bars
    28 Snickers bars (!!!)
    10 Packets of Sweets or Gum
    (Made up of; 3 packs of Chewing Gum, 2 packs of Foamy Bananas, 2 packs of Haribo, 2 KitKat Chunky and 1 pack of Maltesers)

PLUS 1 pack of frozen vegetables for the bad knee!

DRINK

27 Bottles of Coca-Cola (!!!)
    3 Bottles of Lucozade Sport
    26 Bottles of Milkshake (!!!)
    1 Bottle of Oasis Orange
    3 Bottles of Orange Juice
    PLUS 1 Cup of Tea!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • andy83
    Lastant

All I can say is :shock:

If I ate all that id be physically sick. the thought of a greasy fry up makes me feel queesy lol, you like chips I take it :)

I was thinking to be eating sandwhiches, bars, flapjacks etc whilst riding then pasta based meals etc, to be fair my body dont take well to greasy food.
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    But what did you eat on Day 2?