I just don't know what to do......

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
My 531 framed roadbike.....

Had:

old school suntour7 speed friction shifters and a Shimano crane mech.

Now upgraded to Ultegra 9 speed STI's and ultegra mechs.

However, the front end is damn heavy, making the bike heavy, I think this is down to the STI levers and cabling - certainly feel the pull when cornering at pace.

I am also feeling that I have lost the "soul" of the bike since I upgraded to a better groupset.

Should I retrograde back to SIS indexed downtube levers and a set of brake levers on the drops? Something is niglling me to do it......

Also would need to know if Shimano Dura Ace downtube shifters fit onto a band on mount!

Decisions decisions....

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Should I retrograde back to SIS indexed downtube levers and a set of brake levers on the drops?

Yes.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    I've been round this one again and again when trying to decide what to do with my Mercian frame. After much deliberation I'm heading towards band on DT shifters, probably friction rather than indexed. I think ITB at least has some experience of fitting other levers onto a band-on mount, but there are probably others who know as well.

As a bit of post-rationalisation, I'd say DT shifters are fine if you are planning to ride it on long rural rides, with STIs only really more useful in busy urban riding, when you tend to need to change gear a lot more often and often brake at the same time.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    i would say friction shifter rather than indexed - much more versatile - shift from top to bottom in one move
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    i would say friction shifter rather than indexed - much more versatile - shift from top to bottom in one move

I beg to differ. I've got frictions on one bike (D/T) and indexed on the other, and friction is versatile but requires more time and technique, and sometimes you just don't need that.

Agree with the other post about STIs versus D/T: D/T is OK if you've got the time to change and can take hands off bars. But if you're like me and need to upgrade brake levers as well, for the price of a pair of D/T DA shifters (£45) plus new brake levers (£15) I could almost have STIs. Almost...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Philcho
    Philcho Posts: 57
    Funny...i was thinking this exact same thing about my old school bike which i'm in the middle of refurbing. It still has the DT shifters however because the brake levers are shot i need to replace those anyway so i'm not sure whether to buy STI's :?
  • gtvlusso
    Can sell you my Ultegra STI's!!!!!
  • Nifer
    Nifer Posts: 102
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Can sell you my Ultegra STI's!!!!!

How much do you want for those?
  • davis wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Should I retrograde back to SIS indexed downtube levers and a set of brake levers on the drops?

Yes.

This.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549

You can do that with SIS indexed shifters, and I can shift chain rings and sprockets at the same time, much quicker than STI.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I've done both STI & downtube, firstly non index then indexed 7 speed which I loved, also as I just discovered pre 2004 Campag chainset + BB are lighter than modern UT Cool O! and they look better, so my steel 531 is going to be Centaur groupset with 9 speed indexed downtube shifters and get this bar end shifters for shifting on the drops 8)

Love it

I already have carbon 1 inch forks are carbon seat post, its going to be beautiful xxxxx

Wheels will be hand built open pros with campag hubs 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Downtube Suntour friction shift - gear shifting heaven and nothing to adjust apart from the end stops.

Recommend you upgrade from the Ultegra 9 back to the Suntour 7 :D
    Faster than a tent.......
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    And a nice rear mech to match 8)

4904925702_498e370c13.jpg

or

4904926730_615960dc78.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • gtvlusso
    I did a little test last night;

Because I have band on shifters (I attached cable stops to the band for STI integration), I was able to quickly rig up with DT index shifters and keep the sti's on for brakes only. I did enjoy taking the bike back to it's original config, however, I fear that in traffic on some of the routes I do, it could be a nightmare - hence my moving from the old 7 speed friction shifters in the first place. I will be selling the shimano crane mech, suntour front mech and shifters.

I am gonna keep my Dura Ace DT index shifters and buy some aero brake levers for summer sportives. Keep my STI's for winter commuting. With the DT shifters the bike is lighter - definitely.

So, I have decided to keep as many components of the bike "original" except the drivetrain, wheels and gears - which will be swapped out depending on the situation.....
  • gtvlusso
    For ref:

to make the band on shifters STI compliant; here are the parts I used:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-6-sp ... -prod4822/

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-shim ... -prod5511/

Basically, with the old Shimano bands/clamps the internal thread where the lever screws in is 7.5. The adjustable cable stop screw threads are 8. So, on old Shimano and Suntour bands, you cannot simply screw on the Adjustable stops (you will also find that the screws are too short as well ffor the depth of the cable stop. Easiest way to solve was to buy the latest shimano band on 6 speed shifters - remove the shifters from the band and fit the cable adjusters....piece of cake.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Would you not need the down tube band-on version rather than the one for 1" quill stems? Or were you fitting the cable stops to the stem? Also, I'd be interested in the Suntour front mech.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gtvlusso
    rjsterry wrote:
    Would you not need the down tube band-on version rather than the one for 1" quill stems? Or were you fitting the cable stops to the stem? Also, I'd be interested in the Suntour front mech.

Oh yeah - clicked on the worng one:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-6-sp ... -prod4821/

Thats better :-)

@RJSTerry PM me about the mech - will do a pic for you.