Winter 'service'....

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited January 2011 in The workshop
What have you done for your loved one for Christmas?
Treated the commuter to a bit of a winter upgrade/service

New Rear caliper (Clarke CMD-9) and mounting, this is matched with a lighter Alligator disc. Swapped to left hand front brake which I think is better for commuting (well my commute as I have 2 downhill right turns!) and also means shorter and neater cable runs. New Bottom Bracket (take off from a GT, much nicer than mine!) and crank arms (Lighter touring ones versus my heavy MTB ones).
Full length front mudguard (the downtube crud catcher wasn't enough this winter).
Shifter swapped from Deore lever to X0 twist to make it neater (and lighter) matched to a lighter X9 rear mech and Jagwire teflon inner and bling yellow outers, also swapped to a lighter BB cable guide (single not double).
Grips swapped from my worn out Giant locks ons to some lightweight Avenir EVA foam grips (identical to pork rinds)
Checked the wheel bearings and tweaked the spokes to true the rims, lubed chain again as well.

Total weight saving 280g, but the mudguard added 57g over the crud catcher so will be 337g lighter come summer!

Have to get a new picture now!

Simon
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• BSA - snapped, then replaced gear cable

MTB - rode through snow and salt until gears and brakes stopped working, cleaned and lubed and will receive full strip and service for spring

Fixie - Fitted mudguards and built new wheels for spring. I rode the front tyre through to the carcass, and have re-placed with Halo Twin Rails (quite good so far)

MrsMeanie's Commuter - Fitted new brake lever, caliper, cable and bar-tape. Fitted new chain, strip and grease wheels, fitted muddies

All good fun :-)
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It is fun, just putting hydro brakes on the daughters MTB in place of cable and changing her crankset (its a hybridised MTB) on the commuter she uses to school to a road set.

The MTB has had a clean and lube up and chainset swapped from triple to double and bash with newer arms and decent (allen) bolts ILO 14mm hex (budget build!)

Built Mrs Beginners bike, just need to swap the cheap front mech for the Deore just aquired.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    New jockey wheels, new chain and gear cables on my winter bike/commuter. hopefully this is all that's needed for a while other than a weekly wash and lube.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Stripped down the commuting road frame and put some of the gear on the crosser.

New brake pads, chain, stem and cables (inners and outers) for the crosser.

New jockey wheels and brake pads (eight, I think) for the commuting roadie.

Irregular cleaning :oops:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Stripped the tourer to bare frame (aside from bb and cranks). Cleaned and polished everything, greased headset etc. New straddle wires, new bar tape and new handbuilt wheels waiting collection. Might get some new tyres while I'm at it though the current ones do have some miles left in them.

MTB - just a proper clean and regrease. Not that you can tell anymore :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Philcho
    Philcho Posts: 57
    Waiting on a new tool set which should be here friday, i shall then spend all weekend in the garage stripping down and rebuilding the project bike and the MTB if i have time 8)