Stoing Bike indoors - What do you do?

jairaj
jairaj Posts: 3,009
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Im looking into moving home and buying a place of my own. Thing is Im not sure I can afford a house with a shed or garage to store my two bikes. Chances are it'll be a small flat. So not sure if I'll have any where to just leave the bikes on the side without getting in the way.

So my question is what methods have you taken to store your bike are there any clever and innovative ways to store bikes indoors?

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I remove the non-drive-side pedal, turn the handlebars and then hang the bike off the picture rail with either one or two bungee cords! Works a treat and takes up very little space!
  • I live in a flat with a couple of bikes.

It's fine, although I am on the lower of 2 floors which is a big bonus in terms of accessibility. Saying that - The dude next door lives on the upstairs level and he has 5 bikes.
  • Hmm - my bikes just lean against the corridor wall in my flat - much to my gf's annoyance :) makes getting into and out of the flat with shopping etc a little awkward :(
  • Mine is in the kitchen :)
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I've luckily got a small alcove right by my front door, three bikes can (just) get in there, one with the front wheel off and the handlebars turned round.

My old (94) complete bike and two old bikes that have been salvaged for parts live on the balcony.

My downhill bike lives in a kitchen cupboard behind load of other stuff.

That usually leaves one bike needing somewhere to stay which is on the turbo in the spare room at the moment.

That's 5/6 working bikes (most of the time) and a parts store in a flat. The alcove and the balcony (plus a spare room just now) make a massive difference.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    I have one of the vertical storge racks so my two bike fit in my hall way in my little two up / two down house.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=50404

It saves having them muddy in the kitchen and mean they don't need to lean on each other.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    milfredo
    I was thinking of one of those to keep the garage tidier as well as probably being useful when I'm in a place of my own. Is it good? Does it need to be attached to the wall?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Ah seems like with a bit of thinking I should be able to squeeze the bike in somewhere.

I like the look of the double decker bike holder. Two bikes take up the same foot print as one bike.
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    bails87 wrote:
    milfredo
    I was thinking of one of those to keep the garage tidier as well as probably being useful when I'm in a place of my own. Is it good? Does it need to be attached to the wall?

It comes with a Rawl Plug and screw to fit it to the wall but it is self standing and even says the wall fitting is optional. I probably would fix it to the wall if it was more permiment and I had small kids that might pull it over otherwise it's pretty sturdy and the bikes fit really well.
  • Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    I got a two bedroom flat so I can use the spare room for my bikes. :)
  • crevs
    crevs Posts: 24
    Mines hung up over the washing machine and dryer in the utility room. I just have to wash and dry it after every ride which is a good thing I suppose.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    mine goes under the stairs

take both wheels off, turn handlebars, then rest on some foam bits
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I used one of these when I was sharing a house and living in a room not much bigger than the bed- http://www.wiggle.co.uk/minoura-bike-tower-stand/

Took two bikes above the bed, if a little tight, and you don't have to drill holes in the wall (renting). It's gone up in price since I got one though. If you can drill into the wall, then this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-wall-rack/ or this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/minoura-bikehanger-4-rack/ could work.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • ive got the minoura bike tower posted above, in my spare room, two bikes on it,out the way and no holes or permananet fittings. ideal really.
  • crevs
    crevs Posts: 24
    When I raced on the road I had 2 race bikes which were always clean and I often wondered about storing them on pulleys attached to the ceiling above the stair well! Of the course 'er in doors soon put a stop to that! But if your talking clean light bikes why not?
  • I store 4 bikes in my flat in London

3 on the wall, and one on the floor

using "KF" bike storage mounts, about £15 from any local bike shop

pbpic2110979.jpg
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com