Amstel Gold Tour registration farce

peterst6906
peterst6906 Posts: 530
Facing >50,000 requests to the server per minute even before registration opened tonight at 8pm (CET), the Amstel Gold site crashed for almost 2 hours and just came back up a couple of minutes ago.

In response, registration has been cancelled for today and more information will be released tomorrow.

I would have thought that having had 12,000 registrations in 38 minutes last year, the organisers would have been better prepared for the likely server load this year, especially as they advised everyone to register quickly.

Obviously not.

Ah well, hopefully tomorrow.

Comments

• Nack
    Nack Posts: 61
    Yep, I am one of these 50000 people whose time was wasted by idiots who cannot plan for eventualities like this one...

Can't believe I wasted one hour of my life clicking on refresh, why didn't they just announce straight away that the server had crashed !

As you said Peter, hopefully tomorrow!
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    yup..I live in NL and was no different for me ...then this afternoon it seems they put the sale of places randomly at 14:20 ..and low and behold I missed it.

In typical local style no-one gives a fxxx ...apparently it "could not have been foreseen"...youre kidding me...its the only decent sportive this side of the border and its been promoted as usual...my advise?...register for the Belgiums ones...they are cheap and cheerful and have unlimited (at the moment) entries...

Peter..you a Brit abroad? or local and we can blame your countrymen? ;)
  • I also missed it this afternoon when it was randomly re-opened.

Unfortunately I've already booked accommodation for the weekend, which is non-refundable. Way for them to cost me EUR 300 as I don't feel like going anywhere near the event anymore.

Complete joke the way this has been mismanaged.

Luckily the Ronde van Vlanderen has done it much better and registration is still open for that event, which is 2 weeks before the Amstel Gold.

I was hoping to register for both, but now just have the Ronde (looking forward to it).
  • weeve wrote:

A couple of hundred years ago we were Brits. I'm an Aussie abroad (though at the moment with the state of our cricket, rugby, football, rugby league, cycling, tennis, golf and all other sports teams and players, I'm trying to lay low).

Regards,

Peter
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    Not fun about accommodation ...hope you get to sell it on or persuade the owners to refund. Not much fun that.

Flanders for me too..but the MTB route this time around for a change. I live in the Hague so not so far to go. Will do some of the other Belgium ones too such as the Tilff-Bastogne etc...thats similar to the Amstel actually if you havent done it..was good fun when did it couple years back...will go back this year. There is also another sportive in same region on same day as Amstel if your short of rides...well actually there is a full series of them that start 19 March. If you want the link to the web page let me know.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    weeve wrote:
    yup..I live in NL and was no different for me ...then this afternoon it seems they put the sale of places randomly at 14:20 ..and low and behold I missed it.

In typical local style no-one gives a fxxx ...apparently it "could not have been foreseen"...youre kidding me...its the only decent sportive this side of the border and its been promoted as usual...my advise?...register for the Belgiums ones...they are cheap and cheerful and have unlimited (at the moment) entries...

Dont worry about it. You can stll take part in the race by joining the route at some point. Yes, i know you shouldnt but many do just that.Including a few friends of mine?
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura