On-One 456 steel to carbon

kenan
kenan Posts: 952
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Anyone on here gone from the 456 steel frame to the carbon one? if so would you be so kind as to say how you found the 2 different frames. Thinking up moving the bits from my steel frame to the carbon version.

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I've done that (then rebuilt the steel one as a commuter/spare/winter/snow bike)

The main thing is the weight, in terms of the ride the carbon feels almost plush. The way i'd describe it is that it is like riding on velvet. At the same time it's much more direct in terms of power transfer and the front feels a lot stiffer.

If you have a nice seatpost, grab one of the use thermoplastic shims so you can keep using 27.2 post.
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    Thats what I hoped the carbon version would be like. Can't belive I didn't think of using a shim for the seatpost, thanks for the tip and info.
  • The carbon one will make your eyes bleed on a regular basis.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I think it looks ace. Like someone went "Lets make this as good a frame as we can" then someone else said "Well every penny we put into making it look good will be a penny we can't spend on making it ride well" so they decided to spend absolutely nothing at all on cosmetics. More like a bit of plant than a living room ornament
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that. :D

It's a shame they didn't spend some on cosmetics, or even opened their eyes when they designed it because I'm sure they'd sell a whole lot more.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I think it looks good in the pictures. In the flesh, it looks blinkin' fantastic. Tempted to buy one just for the looks alone!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • The C456 does look a lot better in real life compared to the images. I saw a few at the showroom the other week. Thing is though, the steel 456 is such a classic looking bike. One of my favourites.
    |> Save money on purchases from CycleStore, Wiggle, Merlin, Evans, Chain Reaction, Halfords and more - click here (or PM me with questions)