Paint my ride

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,062
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
I just can't make up my mind which colour to paint my 1980s Raleigh frame.

After a brief spell as a 7 speed tourer and then a couple of years and my single speed commuter I finally got around to stripping the frame.

ec7317425b6a442dac431396c83c4409.jpg

688b7d9922ab4103a56df73a02145df1.jpg

Not only did I find the original shop decals but also what could be the original paint job, egg shell blue. At some point it had been painted yellow then red, I do like red and black, I also like the brushed metal look.

Damn it's so hard to choose, I'm planning a single speed with cross knobbly tyres for winter then 7 speed with slicks in the summer, both set up will be Campagnolo (silver).

Should I go with brushed steel or a gloss paint job?

Oh I've also fitted carbon forks & seat post
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    This perhaps: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroraleighs/catalogs/1976/pages/07-76-gran-sport.html. Mind you, that ones a bit early and the 80s Gran Sports seem to be mainly an orangy metallic.

I'd go period - pale blue is a bit different these days. But I'd keep the original forks - I never find them a problem but then I'm not too fussed about the weight of my old bikes anyway.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,856
    I believe it was called caramel.

This is it - I think it looks superb (more so on a better proportioned frame like yours) :wink:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97652170@N ... 352572797/
  • Candy apple green?
  • itboffin
    Hmmm I like that pale blue look, should look nice with the 2004 Centaur groupset
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,117
    ITB - hi there - the Gran Sport was Caramel or (if supplied with Tubs) in Raleigh's team colours (I'm sad enough to have an old brochure knocking around somewhere.

The caramel should be fine to do but the full team regalia might be a challenge, although Argos do have one on their site and it looks fab.

Is this a DIY job? If so, how are you doing it, as my aged 531 needs some TLC of the paint kind?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    It might not be a Gran Sport - I was just guessing that it had the look of one. As I commonly talk cobblers, there is a strong possibility that I was talking cobblers here!

Incidentally, I note that it has the brake cable routed under the top tube. My RRA and the Gran Sports I have seen have the cable routed along the top. On the other hand, the Carlton Corsair I am doing up has the cable routed under the top tube. So, could it be a Carlton. The Corsair has a Suntour groupset branded Raleigh so, with the paint job lost, and stickered head badges, would look like a headbadgeless Raleigh. Forks are certainly different to the Carlton ones though.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • itboffin
    I'm not really sure which model it is but when I stripped the last owners hand paint job I found marks from "Dave Quinn" they used to badge their own Raleigh's I think, anyway I've own several old steel bikes now including a Mercian and this one defo feels special, it rides like it was made for me, it's so smooth I just can't bring myself to sell it, so a full modern rebuild is in order, well sort of modern.

This is going to be my winter sportive bike, my winter commuter is too heavy and harsh for 5-7 hours in the saddle.