Whinlatter Forest

Youngsie 96
Youngsie 96 Posts: 35
edited January 2011 in Routes
Hi!

Been looking round the forum for a while and you all seem very knowledgeable and helpful so I thought I'd join and see what you're opinions on Whinlatter are. Me and my family will be going on holiday to the Lake District at Easter and as someone who is keen to start mountain biking (once I have the funds for one) it is the perfect opportunity for me do some "proper" MTBing (I live in Suffolk so its not exactly mountainous round here). My main question is whether you think that it would be suitable for me and my dad. I have done a fair amount of road cycling so am quite fit, and have spent quite a lot of time playing about on bikes doing trackstands and wheelies etc, so I have reasonable control over a bike. My dad is in fairly good shape for his age (49), but when I last road with him (on holiday in the Forest of Dean) he was getting left behind on the hills. He did quite a lot of cycling when he was younger, but it wasn't MTBing and I'm not sure how he'd get on on a proper trail as I've never seen him doing that kind of riding.

Having looked at videos and websites, I think I'd enjoy it and be able to manage it (please tell me if you think otherwise) but I don't want to make my dad ride around all day hating it.

If you don't think its suitable, is there anywhere else in the Keswick area you can recommend?

Thanks

Paul

Comments

• BennyB
    BennyB Posts: 174
    I rode whinlatter and grizedale in october. Grizedale is close to whinlatter. Im not fit at all and I would say have only basic abilitys. I loved every second, i think you and your dad will be perfectly fine
    Ime diving, ime bored, ime on the diving board
  • hammy7272
    hammy7272 Posts: 236
    I have never been. However, I am quite new still. I would say go for it! It's not a race just take it steady up the hills and as fast as you feel comfortable with on the downs. These places are designed to be fun and they are! :D
  • There's a few trails at Whinlatter, 1 blue and 2 red graded trails so you could give the blue one a go and if you like that, move on to one of the red ones.

Nothing too technical on any of the trails but if you don't like the look of something you can always walk it first! I'd definitely go for it, you'll both be fine, just take it steady, have a rest at the top to enjoy the views!
    Boardman HT Pro
  • There's a few trails at Whinlatter, 1 blue and 2 red graded trails so you could give the blue one a go and if you like that, move on to one of the red ones.

Nothing too technical on any of the trails but if you don't like the look of something you can always walk it first! I'd definitely go for it, you'll both be fine, just take it steady, have a rest at the top to enjoy the views!
    Boardman HT Pro
  • Both are very very very good fun.

I go to the lakes for a fortnight every year in september time and frequent both of the trail centres. After a couple of days / rides if you find it good fun and or easy go off piste and look for some other mre natural rides around. There ar some awesome trails on the hard knott pass and honistor pass and theres a mint sleight mine up there.

I recomend you go to Biketreks cycle shop in Ambleside and have a chat with the lads in there they will recomend some ideal routes for you!!!
  • Thanks everyone! Looks like we should have some fun at Whinlatter :D

aaronmroach: I'd love to explore and look for natural places but I think that one day of riding is the most I'm going to get, so we'll have to stick to Whinlatter. My mum and dog will be coming too and they aren't going to be able to join us on the trails, so leaving them on their own any longer is unfair.

Thanks again!
  • J@mesC
    J@mesC Posts: 129
    Nice little cafe at Whinlatter though - so your mum and dog can have a walk and then a sticky bun :D
  • Bike shop at Whinlatter;
    http://cyclewise.co.uk/
    If you could afford it they also do skills tuition.
    Do the blue first. There are 2 sections to the blue, an easy one and a longer one so you can loop around as often and a long as you like.
    Have lunch.
    Then if you still have some energy left in your legs do the South Red. This loop is just a bit easier and safer than the North loop. The North loop has a big climb at the start, some off camber(slippy when wet)rocky bits and a bit of a sting in the tail descent at the end. Your Dad may not have the skill for this section.
    Grizdale is also an option.It is quite an easy trail and if you can read a map there are lots of bridleways you could explore.
    There is a lovely short natural trail out of Staveley where you will find Wheelbase and Wilfs cafe.
    http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/
    http://www.wilfs-cafe.co.uk/
    http://www.biketreks.net/
    If you drop into any of the Lakes bike shops they are all very helpfull (and busy). They also have printed maps of the various Lakes classic route for £2+ or so.
    If you want any maps before you go give any shop a call and get some posted.
    A really usefull tool;
    http://www.bogtrotters.org/list_routes.php
  • Thanks trailpuppet- that's very helpful. I think Whinlatter looks best- as much as I'd like to explore, the ease of following a trail appeals. We got lost last year in the Forest of Dean- don't know how as my dad's pretty good at maps on walks etc but we wasted quite a bit of our time with the hire bikes trying to work out where we were. Don't fancy doing that again. Anyway, thanks for the advice on the Whinlatter trails, it's very much appreciated.

Oh, trailpuppet, the tuition does look good, but on the one day we'll have there I think I'd rather just ride the trails.

Thanks again!
  • haynes1
    haynes1 Posts: 156
    If you’re just starting out I’d recommend doing the blue trail at Whinlatter. There’s nothing to difficult about it, and if you’re feeling adventures you can do the two red loops.
    Here is a map of the routes:
    http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/fcenwealturatrailleaflet.pdf/$FILE/fcenwealturatrailleaflet.pdf
  • Blue @ Whinlatter is a real :lol::lol:
    Do it once at a steady pace, have a coffee, cake and a bit of bird watching and then do it again but faster :D
    The red loops are quite short in that even taking it easy and considering your novice skills it would take you around an hour to complete each. They are quite exposed so be prepared with appropriate clothing on the day if you do try it.
    Cafe is good but a bit slow if busy and standard trail centre expensive.
    If it is open there is a cafe in the caravan park at the bottom of the hill at Braithwaite.
  • You and your dad will be fine at Whinlatter. Its just a massive glorified downhill bmx track. Nothing too strenuous. Maybe avoid the drop off tho on the south (i think) loop