2000 or 20?

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
Okay, this is bugging me now.

When do we start saying twenty eleven / twelve / thirteen / whatever, rather than two thousand and eleven / twelve / thirtenn / whatever?

This is important stuff.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I'm saying 'twenty eleven' now.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    ........also because in November there will be two separate points at which it will be twenty to eleven on the twentieth of the eleventh twenty eleven.....which is kinda geeky but cool.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Equally important, is this decade the oneties?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    When did anyone ever say one thousand nine hundred and one or ten or twenty and so on?

Just go with it become a trend setter, say Twenty eleven. Live in fear that everyone will think you're trying to be American, which is worse....

I will forever say 2011.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Meh, I've been saying 20 since 2010. :D
  • SimonAH wrote:
    ........also because in November there will be two separate points at which it will be twenty to eleven on the twentieth of the eleventh twenty eleven.....which is kinda geeky but cool.

But we don't write twenty to eleven as 2011. It should be 11 minutes past 8 in the evening, so 20:11, 20/11, 2011. But I'm not a geek, honestly.
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • Can we say Twenty Twelve without paying a fee to the IOC or London Organising Committee?
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    My history teacher always spoke of "nineteen five" rather than "nineteen oh five" when dscussing the first Russian Revolution in 1905.

The question is also,

who says thirteen-hundred for 1300?

If you do, how far do you go?

fifty hundred? 5,000?
  • In Roman numerals it is MMXI and not XX XI, which could be mistaken for 31.

2011 is not only a prime number, it's a sexy prime (differs from the previous prime by 6). But I'm really not a geek.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    It's a no-brainer this one.

What was that film called, from when it came out, for all of the late 1960's through to 1999 and beyond? 2001 - A Space Odyssey. Anyone who called it Twenty-Oh-One' warrants a slap. It therefore follows that this century shall forever refer to its years as two thousand and <something>. That's correct. The fact that the media, esp the BBC, and everyone I know has been getting it wrong for the last 10 years or so with Twenty-Ten etc just shows how easy it is for the whole world to be out of step. And twenty-ten or whatever is pug-ugly as far as speech goes

Two Thousand and... - that's how it should be. That's how it is in my world.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The post above makes me smile.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    You can't argue with its veracity though can you?

:)
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    It's the marketing power of the Olympics.

Thinking about it, just about every lobby trys to connect their pitch to the Olympics and I've jsut managed it with this post.