Evans' price matching

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
hi there

Anyone used this for a bike? I was told at Evans that they'll only match exactly the same bike AND size - so if you're buying a 54cm (like I might) and the price matcher only has a 56cm, then Evans won't match it 'cos in effect it's not like for like - is that correct?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I believe so. I assume the rationale is that the place you're having them match might be clearing the last few sizes of old stock (or they'll be at the XXS or XXL end of the frame size).

That said, on some stuff I've had them match even when the spec isn't the same. They matched a gold Izumi chain with the price of a black one, more than halving the price from £20 to £8.

Could be worth a go, maybe try the online pricematch and hope for a careless person doing the checking ;)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Like for like and in stock was my understanding.

From http://www.evanscycles.com/help/price-promise

Conditions: Only identical items (including colour and size variations), in stock and available for immediate delivery/collection from an authorised UK retailer will be price matched. Comparison value includes delivery charges. Printed evidence of offer may be required; our staff will verify the offer. The competitors price must be available to all customers and exclude any personal discounts. Not available on non-UK retailers or auction sites. Cannot be used in conjunction with any offer or discount.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    dhope wrote:
    I believe so. I assume the rationale is that the place you're having them match might be clearing the last few sizes of old stock (or they'll be at the XXS or XXL end of the frame size).

I think the rationale is more simply that if it isn't the same, then you can't get it somewhere else and therefore why should they cut their profits!

Interesting point re the non-identical matches. Might try them on the Garmin 500 which Handtec don't do in black.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    they're much more strict online than they are in-store (i price match a lot of stuff :) ). the trick I think is to price match with someone who has the authority to just put it through themselves but isn't the store manager.

if you're price matching in store typically they'll work from a printout so if you accidentally forget to pick a size from a dropdown before printing it or you only have a print out showing the price and the product name but no size info then you'll probably have better luck.

the size thing is difficult though as different sizes often have different prices in sales as dhope says to clear unpopular stock and the purpose of a price match is to stop you from buying it elsewhere which if they don't have your size is not likely to happen.

spend a bit of time running through googles normal search for the bike as there are some obscure bike shops online that do stupidly low prices on clearance bits (the sites look dodgy as but you're not ordering from them). I got my tricross down from evans clearance price of £780 (rrp £850) to £670 by trawling through a lot of google searches until i found a good deal.
    Hat + Beard
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I just got them to price match a pair of A530 pedals (RRP £59.99) to CRC's £33.99.
    I almost felt embarassed, the guy behind the counter was aghast and kept muttering "we can't be making any money on this, but I've got to do it...".

Only almost, mind.
    Misguided Idealist
  • hatbeard
    I just got them to price match a pair of A530 pedals (RRP £59.99) to CRC's £33.99.
    I almost felt embarassed, the guy behind the counter was aghast and kept muttering "we can't be making any money on this, but I've got to do it...".

Only almost, mind.

When I bought my a530's I not only price matched them but also a kryptonite mini evo lock for £22 (from £45) and a b'spoke 1w light for £18 (from £25 I think). the guy didn't bat an eyelid. it's their policy, I shouldn't be made to feel bad for using it especially since they wouldn't get my custom otherwise.
    Hat + Beard
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

Only almost, mind.

I did much the same and felt much the same! But I think Hatbeard has it right.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dhope
    Rolf F wrote:

Only almost, mind.

I did much the same and felt much the same! But I think Hatbeard has it right.

Yep, I'd buy everything online otherwise, but generally if Evans have it in stock then I'll get it from there now.
    Might be that they don't make as bit a markup but they're also depriving their competitors of business so the price match can still benefit them.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I only nearly felt bad - it's no skin off his nose (the shop assistant), and it's all turnover if not necessarily profit. The bloke wasn't trying to make me feel bad, he was just somewhat surprised at how cheap CRC can offer some kit !

Price match = take it home today. No price match = order today, get it in the post tomorrow. I love the internet :-)
    Misguided Idealist
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    I think the price match is excellent. I use it all the time, internet prices and I get to take it home with me. Superb.

Every time they have been strict on the competitor having the right size and colour in stock - they caought me out on a jacket that I wanted in red and the pricematch only had black in my size. So i spent two minutes on google on my phone and found somewhere else with it in stock for an extra £2.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    They price matched a small bracket thingy for me. They had it at £15.99 and another website had it at about a tenner but with a postage charge of 6 or 7 quid, so in effect Evans was still cheaper as they don't charge for postage, however they matched the price anyway so I got the thing at about a tenner with zero postage!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    Cycle Surgery also have a price match policy
  • They are strict with the online price matcher. I had a crack at a Kona Paddy Wagon which was £380 at Triton cycles (vs £410 at Evans) but not in my size. Computer said no.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    How do you guys price match?

Is it an internet print off?
  • rick_chasey
    They are strict with the online price matcher. I had a crack at a Kona Paddy Wagon which was £380 at Triton cycles (vs £410 at Evans) but not in my size. Computer said no.

I bought the very same bike :) loving it.
  • dhope
    How do you guys price match?

Is it an internet print off?

Printout or pull the page up on my phone and show.
    They've never questioned a printout, even obscure looking sites. Bit of surprise at the price sometimes, then they key the match into the computer and all's fine.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    they wouldn't price match a jersey during the Summer because the cheaper price (Wiggle) wasn't showing it in stock.

The comment above, about "we can't be making money on this", given the margins that bike stores operate on, even at £33 they're sure to be making money.
  • rick_chasey
    Sure but the shop sales ultimately pay the shop workers' salary! Can't blame them for being tough on the price.
  • hatbeard
    Sure but the shop sales ultimately pay the shop workers' salary! Can't blame them for being tough on the price.

typically evans don't even try to be competitive on prices at all. if you pay the in-store price you're paying over the odds. that's their business model and they rake in money hand over fist because of it which is why they're everywhere. I've seen people in there buying garmins and top end lights for full price which is in the region of £100 more than it could be had online from the likes of amazon.

they offer the price match so that they also dont miss out on the web savvy customer base who would otherwise go elsewhere, they might not bring in as much profit per sale but they keep a healthy turnover going.
    Hat + Beard
  • rick_chasey
    hatbeard wrote:

typically evans don't even try to be competitive on prices at all. if you pay the in-store price you're paying over the odds. that's their business model and they rake in money hand over fist because of it which is why they're everywhere. I've seen people in there buying garmins and top end lights for full price which is in the region of £100 more than it could be had online from the likes of amazon.

they offer the price match so that they also dont miss out on the web savvy customer base who would otherwise go elsewhere, they might not bring in as much profit per sale but they keep a healthy turnover going.

I meant tough on the 'matched' price...

I'm familiar with retail pricing models.
  • hatbeard
    ahh :oops:
    Hat + Beard
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    hatbeard wrote:

Many people haven't got the time or can't be bothered to price check or shop around. My boss bought a bike on C2W, he just walked into Cycle Surgery and they told him to get X bike with this and that and the other and he just said "OK". He doesn't maintain the bike in any way and every now and then he (or his PA) takes the bike to Cycle Surgery and says "deal with it", they just tweak some allen key bolts, fit some tyres etc and bill him. They usually also flog him a few extras like bike computers or whatever and he just pays whatever they ask... He just wants a shop round the corner that will do everything for him without any thought required on his side, money no object...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • dizzydane
    dizzydane Posts: 322
    Never used it for a bike, but use the price match tool whenever I need an item that can' t wait a couple of days for delivery.

Like it! Must have saved over £100 last year on purchases...