lightweight brake discs - the verdict

02gf74
02gf74 Posts: 1,171
edited January 2011 in MTB general
in one word = bloody useless.

not very good at stopping, more of a gentle retardation plus when almost stopped, the juddering (as mentioned) is quite severe. :shock:

I suppose looking back, if there is more air than steel disc surface, it is was never going to be effective.

It may be that they are not bedded in but I did quite a few decents on a slight hill so reckon they are as good as they will get.

looks like I will need to go back to more solid disc on the front - may get away with it on the back though - so weght will go up by 20 g. :(

as started here

PS Don't suppose anyone has an 6 bolt alloy centred 160mm rotor such as Hope or Sram for sale, going cheapish? (red or black preferred) :)

Comments

• timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    this is not the wanteds.
    Many happy trails!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I've got a set of Ashima Airotors, they stop me pretty much exactly the same as my Formula rotors. They do have a bit of judder at very low speeds though with my Oros, they didn't used to with my XTs so presumbaly that's down to the different pad shape. It's not actually a problem though, it feels orrible but it doesn't impair the braking.

Surface area isn't the only factor in braking performance (as explained in that other thread).
    Uncompromising extremist
  • 02gf74
    Northwind wrote:
    I've got a set of Ashima Airotors, they stop me pretty much exactly the same as my Formula rotors. They do have a bit of judder at very low speeds though with my Oros, they didn't used to with my XTs so presumbaly that's down to the different pad shape. It's not actually a problem though, it feels orrible but it doesn't impair the braking.

Surface area isn't the only factor in braking performance (as explained in that other thread).

My 4 pot XT can have me picking teeth out of the tarmac with little pressure but these just do not cut the job - I did wonder about pad width; but there should be enough overlap.

Did I say I have Magura Marta caliper? There are two types of pad for these that have differnt friction material shape but from memory, it should not make a loat of difference.

Oh, I'm probably heavier than you, think close to 100 kg. :?

Maybe I should perserve as it could be due not bedding in........
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yeah, I weigh nothing pretty much but the ahsimas are still front-flip powerful. I only use them on the rigid xc bike since the bigger bikes need to deal with much heavier regular braking, I wouldn't take the ashimas to fort william :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • baser
    baser Posts: 127
    I have Ashima airrotors on one set of wheels and Avid G2's on the other. I have noticed a small drop off in power between the disc's but not a huge amount, just have to pull a bit harder.

I have noticed the Ashimas eat brake pads, and they have a horrible vibration, but I can live with it for the weight / price diffrence.

I also weigh over 100kgs.
  • 02gf74
    What do you mean also!?!?!? :evil:

I weigh close to but not more than!!!

here are the rotors in question.
    dsc07029_149.jpg
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    timpop wrote:
    this is not the wanteds.

Moderator, if you're going to remove something at least put in a real word... :wink: :oops:

He was only asking. I was merely offering a solution. sigh. :cry:
    Many happy trails!
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    i used the same rotors with a mono m4 front and mini rear and they were great, no probs whatsoever also bear in mind i was over 18 stones when using this set up. no judder or accelerated pad wear just good consistent braking no warping or fade either. i used superstar kevlar pads for the record
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • 02gf74
    ^^^ hmmm, I wonder if I have contaiminated the front pads with brake fluid - I happen to have some spare pads, from same peeps as you so would be easy to change and try again,