Route Recomendation - City to Sunbury

sketchley
sketchley Posts: 4,238
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
I need to go from Old Street to Sunbury this evening. Google route is A4, A316 and I'm not sure I want to go that way.

Any suggestions?

Google Route http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... =UTF8&z=11
--
Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited January 2011
    I go down to Walton-on-Thames and the best route is:

Down to Embankment and follow to New Kings Road and then cross the river over Putney Bridge. From there go on to Lower Richmond Road, Upper Richmond Road and Priory Lane leading down to Richmond Park Roehampton Gate.

Make your way down to Kingston Gate and take the first right onto Kings Road which you can then follow round onto Skerne Road. Follow that and take the cycle crossing over Horse Fair (A308) but join the other carriageway heading right and cross the river again. Then down Hampton Court Road and turn right at the roundabout.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 90466&z=13
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Follow the hordes west on Embankment, down the NKR, over Putney Bridge, right onto the Lower Richmond Road, through RP at Roehampton Gate, out Kingston Gate, straight on to Kingston Hill, turn right at the hill, into town at over Kingston Bridge, left at the other side of the Bridge towards Hampton, right at Hampton Court Rounabout and straight onto Sunbry. If you need to go to Lower Sunbury, turn left at the water works.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • sketchley
    Thanks, looks like I'll get to do Richmond Park on a commute at last! Maybe I'll have time for a lap.....
    --
    Chris

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Btw, although the large, vehicle gates will be locked, the ped gates to the left will be open.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Sketchley wrote:
    Thanks, looks like I'll get to do Richmond Park on a commute at last! Maybe I'll have time for a lap.....

You will require some MTFU lotion and some awesome pills if this is your first go.
  • sketchley
    Not first go, but judging from the time I have I doubt a lap will be possible. Also after cycling there from City not sure about the big hill from Robin Hood Gate. If I decide not to MTFU can it can it be avoided?
    --
    Chris

• asprilla
    Sketchley wrote:
    Not first go, but judging from the time I have I doubt a lap will be possible. Also after cycling there from City not sure about the big hill from Robin Hood Gate. If I decide not to MTFU can it can it be avoided?

You can turn right at Roehampton Gate and then either follow the road round anti-clockwise, or you can turn left at the next round about and go past White Lodge, turning right past the little car park and then left again at Ham Cross when you re join the main road again.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Asprilla, whats down / not down Skerne Road / up into Kings that makes it the better choice than Kingsgate / Richmond / Gibbon Acre then Kings into RP? Is it worth a look?
    Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
    GT Edge Ti
    Ribble Audax
  • asprilla
    5milestogo wrote:
    Asprilla, whats down / not down Skerne Road / up into Kings that makes it the better choice than Kingsgate / Richmond / Gibbon Acre then Kings into RP? Is it worth a look?

Skerne Road is a cycle route, as opposed to diving into the one way system. It's just quieter in the morning.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3