London centirc: Are road users more aggressive in 2011?

2»

Comments

• waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    notsoblue wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    I don't think things are getting worse. My personal cycling habits and my route have changed in the last couple of years though. That explains any change in my experiences with motorists.

DECLINE!

I had forgotten how good Brass Eye was. 'They' should bring it back.

Indeed. Liz Jones is like a Brass Eye character. My cats aren't a danger to wildlife... but the power-crazed RSPB is

You think that's bad, check this one out. She's truly unhinged.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1347621/Joanna-Yeates-murder-Becoming-just-thumbnail-police-website.html
    Rules are for fools.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Waddlie wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    I don't think things are getting worse. My personal cycling habits and my route have changed in the last couple of years though. That explains any change in my experiences with motorists.

DECLINE!

Indeed. Liz Jones is like a Brass Eye character. My cats aren't a danger to wildlife... but the power-crazed RSPB is

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1347621/Joanna-Yeates-murder-Becoming-just-thumbnail-police-website.html

Jesus christ. What. The. Hell.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    notsoblue wrote:
    Waddlie wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

DECLINE!

Seriously. I wouldn't even let my dog sh!te on that article.
  • KnightOfTheLongTights
    KnightOfTheLongTights Posts: 1,415
    edited January 2011
    Right, so if you think that road manners might - just might - be getting worse, then you're a Daily Mail nutcase ...?

The reductio ad absurdum of that view is 'nothing ever changes except for the better'. Which is of course tripe.

Anecdotally, drivers jump between amber and red, and on red, a lot more than they did when I first rode a bike in London 10-15 years ago.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    notsoblue wrote:
    Waddlie wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

DECLINE!

I can't believe she actually gets paid to produce this brain-vomit. She's certainly giving the sane and rational Melanie Phillips a run for her money.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    rjsterry wrote:
    I can't believe she actually gets paid to produce this brain-vomit. She's certainly giving the sane and rational Melanie Phillips a run for her money.

MP is just an unpleasant bitch, Liz Jones is a nutcase.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    rjsterry wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Waddlie wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

DECLINE!

I found the article quite ghoulish as well the way she's stalking about the last few places she was seen alive.

but to be fair you have to lack any kind of moral compass to wilfully work for the mail so it's hardly surprising.
    Hat + Beard
  • waddlie
    notsoblue wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

MP is just an unpleasant *****, Liz Jones is a nutcase.

And completing the trio of doom...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1220756/A-strange-lonely-troubling-death--.html

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Jan Moir - bigot extraordinaire.
    Rules are for fools.
  • notsoblue
    Right, so if you think that road manners might - just might - be getting worse, then you're a Daily Mail nutcase ...?

Nah, doesn't mean you're a Daily Mail nutcase, it means you're incapable of empirical observation. :P
  • Waddlie wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1220756/A-strange-lonely-troubling-death--.html

I prefer the phrase Unholy trinity
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    DDD, you don't need to put London Centric on the title of the thread - everything in the commuting forum is london biased
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • waddlie
    edhornby wrote:
    DDD, you don't need to put London Centric on the title of the thread - everything in the commuting forum is london biased

He didn't, he said "London centirc" which means something else entirely, although no-one knows what. It may have something to do with his girlfriend's boobs. To be fair though, at least he didn't put his own name in the thread title.
    Rules are for fools.
  • notsoblue wrote:

Nah, doesn't mean you're a Daily Mail nutcase, it means you're incapable of empirical observation. :P

Until someone presents me with empirical evidence to the contrary, I'm inclined to believe my own eyes, and aver that road manners have got steadily worse in the last 20-odd years (since I got my licence).

There are perfectly rational explanations: traffic has got worse, making people more angry and impatient. Road obstacles have increased, making people more angry and impatient. You don't have to be a 'hell in a handcart' merchant to argue that people might actually be behaving slightly worse than they used to - it might just be an expected and explicable trend. :wink:
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue wrote:

Until someone presents me with empirical evidence to the contrary, I'm inclined to believe my own eyes, and aver that road manners have got steadily worse in the last 20-odd years (since I got my licence).

There are perfectly rational explanations: traffic has got worse, making people more angry and impatient. Road obstacles have increased, making people more angry and impatient. You don't have to be a 'hell in a handcart' merchant to argue that people might actually be behaving slightly worse than they used to - it might just be an expected and explicable trend. :wink:

Also, chocolate bars are smaller than they used to be, and kids TV is rubbish.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Maybe because I left work earlier than normal, but I noticed a lot more tosspots out tonight than normal.

Also scooter down next to Hornsey Road service station :(
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Zephr
    Zephr Posts: 60
    tbh I think the standard of cycling is getting worse.
    Anyone who has excessive amounts of reflective/florecent things attached to them and their bike seems quite happy to mouth off at anyone and everyone around them, and seems to have a complete lack of self awareness around themselves...

its like "im wearing bright stuff so Im invunerable and dont need to obey the law, but will shout at everyone like a loon should they come anywhere in the viewfinder of my video camera"

Have noticed a couple of total numpties in cars, but Ive been more endangered by cyclists than anything else this year.

ok, maybe not aggressive, but just downright ignorant of anything outside of their skinspace.
    FCN 11. When you hear the buzz of the nobblies, you know youve been scalped.
  • rjsterry
    notsoblue wrote:

Actually, looking back at some of the stuff I watched as a nipper, it looks pretty ropey now. Certainly not as 'must see' as I remember it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• notsoblue wrote:

And there is no problem with teenage pregnancy in this country. Or obesity.

Oh no. EVERYTHING gets better all the time. Repeat after me, 'Everything's alright ... nothing gets worse, EVER ...'
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue wrote:

And there is no problem with teenage pregnancy in this country. Or obesity.

Oh no. EVERYTHING gets better all the time. Repeat after me, 'Everything's alright ... nothing gets worse, EVER ...'

Teenage pregnancy rates and the proportion of the population that is obese are clearly defined, objective metrics. The question "Are road users more aggressive in 2011?" is essentially a call for anecdotes about how polite we all think other road users are compared to some arbitrary point in the past.

Personally, back in the summer of '05 I thought on average, people were 7.5 polite. These days its usually oscillating between 5.3 polite and 6 polite depending on the weather, the strength of the pound, and phase of the moon.
  • notsoblue
    Waddlie wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Totally off topic, but this is an interesting read:

Is Daily Mail 'flame-bait' the secret of its online success?
    http://themediablog.typepad.com/the-med ... 20910.html
  • rjsterry
    Spotted on today's DM front page "Don't Leave Having A Baby Too Late" or words to that effect. I'll expect a headline bemoaning Britain's high teenage pregnancy rate on Monday, then.

@NSB: So what they are suggesting is that the DM is some kind of Super Übertroll - post some nonsense that's bound to get posters revved up, then rake in the advertising revenue - cunning.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Left work earlier than normal this day so had an amusing stream of cyclists going through the lights. This car driver seemed to want to go through too...
    Not sure it's special this year though, standard london driving afaik.

http://vimeo.com/19307797
    FCN 9 || FCN 5