Manchester area sportives and fun rides

lfcquin
lfcquin Posts: 470
I have taken it upon myself to get a few of my colleagues out on bikes this year, so I am in the process of organisng them to saddle up for the Manchester 100 in September. The point is to raise a bit of cash for charity, to introduce them to this great sport of ours and to help build a bit of team spirit.

The plan is to go for the 100k distance because of the inexperience of some of the people who will participate. What I would like to do though is get the team out on some organised rides through the summer in preperation for September.

Does anyone know of any fun rides or short distance sportives taking place this summer? I know of the Manchester - Blackpool, Manchester - Liverpool and Manchester - Chester, but ideally I am looking for rides that starts and finishes in the same place and have a distance of between 20 and 50 miles. I have my eye on the Macclesfield Bikeathon, but if you know of any rides in and around the Greater Manchester area I would appreciate a heads up.

Thanks

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Look out for the Sky Rides in the summer. Another thing would be to organise cafe runs through work... A Track session is always a laff too.
  • polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    I have organised an event called the winter sprinter and we have a 50km route that could be the ideal starter. The website is www.polocini.com.
    There are not too many events about that suit novices. My second and third events are full of hills and not suited to novices.
    Perhaps some of the Evans ride it events may have shorter distances.

Good luck
    AL
  • www.le-terrier.co.uk 45 mile circular route, feed stations, support, my favourite
    Lancaster-40 mins from Manchester
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    Thanks guys. Replies much appreciated. I'll talk to the rest of the riders about these two and keep my eyes peeled for Sky rides. The Evans events I can find int he area seem quite hilly, so I will avoid them.

If anyone has any more then keep them coming. :D Cheers!
  • Hi

If you live in Biddulph, you could get them out on the Cheshire Plains to the west of you, say out towards Audlem, Whitchurch, Malpas, heading back via Bunbury and skirt the edge of Crewe.

Plus you could always skirt them past the bottom of Mow Cop and say 'we're about to climb this now!' That'll put a smile on your face :D

I've done a bit round by Northwich, Budworth and up towards Runcorn (as that's where my mate lives) and that seems reasonably flat.

Having said that, I live on the Wirral, and that IS flat !!

Well done on getting them out though. Top marks mate.
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    I have just come across an event called the fly ride. It could be suitable for novices, and it's for charity as well.
    http://www.cycle-route.com/cycle-events ... r-263.html

AL
  • ceeque
    ceeque Posts: 52
    Theres always this one too, dont think its been mentioned yet:
    http://www.cyclosportivejodrellbank.blogspot.com/
    the 3 distances being done seem to suit you perfectly: 30,50 or 80 miles .... going to try the 30 miler personally ... thats because I`ll be riding 30 miles to get to and back from the event!