Third party insurance

2»

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Also, I believe pedestrians have right of way on roads. Insane but apparently true (though if I'm wrong please tell me!).
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    dhope wrote:
    noodles71 wrote:
    I had a guy once do a u-turn in a nice new shiny BMW in front of me at London Bridge just outside Borough station. I turned with him and hit flush with the pedal and front fork. The pedal took metal out of his door, something smashed his window, my hip took out his mirror and I did an awesome bum buster on his bonnet that caved it right in.

His insurance company tried to have me for £2190 something worth of damage and sent me a letter asking me to tell them my insurer or pay up myself. I replied reminding them their insured needs to give way to everyone when executing a u-turn and they backed down. Maybe the admission I had no insurance was a deciding factor.

I was temped to chase him for damages but only ended up with a flat ended pedal instead of a rounded one and some skin missing on my forearm. No buckles or anything and I was able to ride away from it. The pain wasn't so bad knowing I could cause so much damage and ride away. The look on his face was priceless as you could imagine I had some adrenaline fuelled choice words to say before he felt safe enough to emerge from his car.

Maybe I will sign up to a club membership though as I think I used up all my luck with this one.

Fact he was at fault would have been the deciding factor.

I'd have been very tempted to counter if they asked me for £2000. If he turned across you and you hit the car with enough force to break windows, bend peddles and remove some skin and then he had the nerve to ask you to pay for his stupidity then I'd have no qualms about asking for damages plus whatever they feel reasonable recompense for your inconvenience, aches and pains.

Absolutely! I would have been straight onto Russell Jones & Walker for a hefty 4 figure sum for that.... Not only does he cut you up, potentially causing severe injury but then tries to charge you for damage to his car!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Headhuunter
    biondino wrote:
    Also, I believe pedestrians have right of way on roads. Insane but apparently true (though if I'm wrong please tell me!).

Pedestrians do not have right of way simply to cross a road at any time they wish! If they did what would be the point of providing zebra, pelican crossings etc etc? They wouldn't need them as they would simply be able to walk out and expect traffic to stop for them... Wherever.
  • biondino
    biondino wrote:

Pedestrians do not have right of way simply to cross a road at any time they wish! If they did what would be the point of providing zebra, pelican crossings etc etc? They wouldn't need them as they would simply be able to walk out and expect traffic to stop for them... Wherever.

Sounds logical, but is that the actual law? I understand not.
  • biondino
    Here we go, from the Highway Code:

Take extra care at junctions. You should

* watch out for cyclists, motorcyclists, powered wheelchairs/mobility scooters and pedestrians as they are not always easy to see. Be aware that they may not have seen or heard you if you are approaching from behind
    * watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way
    * watch out for long vehicles which may be turning at a junction ahead; they may have to use the whole width of the road to make the turn (see Rule 221)
  • So is that just for junctions and traffic lights and whatnot, or is that *everywhere*?
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • Headhuunter
    biondino wrote:

* watch out for cyclists, motorcyclists, powered wheelchairs/mobility scooters and pedestrians as they are not always easy to see. Be aware that they may not have seen or heard you if you are approaching from behind
    * watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way
    * watch out for long vehicles which may be turning at a junction ahead; they may have to use the whole width of the road to make the turn (see Rule 221)

Yes, that's very clear, if you are turning into a junction that they are already crossing then fine, you give way, but they don't have the right top wander willy nilly into traffic and expect everything to grind to a halt wherever or whenever!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    biondino wrote:

That's fair enough though, if I've already started crossing an empty road and a car then turns onto it I'd not expect to have to run out of the way. But if there's already moving traffic then they don't have to stop if I decide to jump into their path.

Edit: Ah, seems HH got there first
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Rule 7 for Pedestrians:
    Crossing the road

The Green Cross Code. The advice given below on crossing the road is for all pedestrians. Children should be taught the Code and should not be allowed out alone until they can understand and use it properly. The age when they can do this is different for each child. Many children cannot judge how fast vehicles are going or how far away they are. Children learn by example, so parents and carers should always use the Code in full when out with their children. They are responsible for deciding at what age children can use it safely by themselves.

A. First find a safe place to cross and where there is space to reach the pavement on the other side. Where there is a crossing nearby, use it. It is safer to cross using a subway, a footbridge, an island, a zebra, pelican, toucan or puffin crossing, or where there is a crossing point controlled by a police officer, a school crossing patrol or a traffic warden. Otherwise choose a place where you can see clearly in all directions. Try to avoid crossing between parked cars (see Rule 14), on a blind bend, or close to the brow of a hill. Move to a space where drivers and riders can see you clearly. Do not cross the road diagonally.

B. Stop just before you get to the kerb, where you can see if anything is coming. Do not get too close to the traffic. If there’s no pavement, keep back from the edge of the road but make sure you can still see approaching traffic.

C. Look all around for traffic and listen. Traffic could come from any direction. Listen as well, because you can sometimes hear traffic before you see it.

D. If traffic is coming, let it pass. Look all around again and listen. Do not cross until there is a safe gap in the traffic and you are certain that there is plenty of time. Remember, even if traffic is a long way off, it may be approaching very quickly.

E. When it is safe, go straight across the road – do not run. Keep looking and listening for traffic while you cross, in case there is any traffic you did not see, or in case other traffic appears suddenly. Look out for cyclists and motorcyclists travelling between lanes of traffic. Do not walk diagonally across the road.
    Still not da law tho'
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides