Cross Nationals

sheffsimon
sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
edited January 2011 in Amateur race
Went yesterday....

Seemed well organised, course looked poor IMHO. Too much looping around on grass banks. Not much option at this venue, but I rode cross nationals at Sutton Park in late 80's/early 90's, and it was a much better course and atmosphere.

Was pleased it warmed up a bit to soften the grass - wouldnt have been as good on frozen surface.

Whinge over, great ride by Paul Oldham to win, didnt think he would beat Ian Field.

A second whinge - burger stall needed more staff :)

Comments

• Course looked poor? Cross has changed since the late 80s, both here and on the continent, to make the racing faster and more flowing. Yesterday's course reflected that.
    Last year at Sutton Park was the same, the old quarry section is long gone and it's now a faster, more open course.

Anyway, great racing and some very popular winners.
  • Supernaut
    Supernaut Posts: 29
    edited January 2011
    Double post - too early on Monday
  • sheffsimon
    Supernaut wrote:
    Course looked poor? Cross has changed since the late 80s, both here and on the continent, to make the racing faster and more flowing. Yesterday's course reflected that.
    Last year at Sutton Park was the same, the old quarry section is long gone and it's now a faster, more open course.

Anyway, great racing and some very popular winners.

Not an improvement IMHO. Took my 11 yr old - the bits he liked best were seeing if anybody bunny hopped the planks (only Jody Crawforth I think) and the bits in the woods. Not the long stretches of riding on grass.

I marshalled at the Worlds in Leeds on the run up, up some steps thru the woods on the Sunday when Roger Hammond won. The atmosphere and crowds were fantastic. As far as I can remember, nobody was watching riders loop around the grass on that day.
  • I'm not disagreeing with you, just trying to point out that 'modern' (since about 1998 when the changes started) cross is different and courses have changed to reflect that.
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    I was there both days and there was some great racing-and well deserved winners-although felt sorry for Kenta Gallagher
    I didn't think the course/venue was that good though. There were a number of very tight bends which always spreads things out-nothing like the excitement that the Ipswich course generated for the National Trophy which flowed far better. Didn't think it was that great for spectating either. Sutton Park worked better last year. Suspect Rutland will be better next weekend as well
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    Aren't the rules something like you can only have 2 sets of hurdles per lap now?
  • sheffsimon
    Supernaut wrote:
    I'm not disagreeing with you, just trying to point out that 'modern' (since about 1998 when the changes started) cross is different and courses have changed to reflect that.

Fair do's. Apologies if I sounded defensive/aggresive.
  • alanf
    alanf Posts: 222
    Shame it wasnt at Foxhall in Ipswich. last weeks eastern League course was one of the best i have ever ridden. It had everything, it was fast flowing, technical in parts but mainly ridable in the big ring which is great. Looking forward to seeing the Europeans in Ipswich in 2012, Chantry Park is another good course. I reckon in the East we now have some of the best courses in the country, we actively weeded out the not so good ones a few years ago and certainly London League does not have the same quality of courses - shame really as it used to, Shirley Hills, the Nower, Redhill common, all lost due to mainly councils indifference.
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
    I like
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    The National trophy round 2 was at Chantry Park and it provided the most exciting racing and best spectating of the series. The big advantage with the flowing courses like that is that it leads to very close racing. Too may tight bends and the race splits up very quickly.
    Sutton Park(last year) achieved the same thing with the races going down to last lap moves. By contrast the winners at the weekend generally romped home. I am not knocking the winners BTW. They rode fantastically well and deserved the victories
  • alanf
    alanf Posts: 222
    Did you see Roger Hammond riding when they had the Nationals at Foxhall, phew what a guy! BTW thought he might have ridden at Derby?
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
    I like
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!