Your first race of the year ?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited February 2011 in Amateur race
Just out of interest, when are you all starting your season ? I have just booked my first road race of the year, March 13, Biddenden in Kent, 62 miles. Getting the cakkers just booking the thing let alone riding it. :shock:

Comments

• Anonymous
    Was to be a series in march but new kid is coming (as long as the courier delivers on time, preferably with free haribo) so that's out. Think it's going to be the end of April now.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    My first race was New Years Day, nothing like starting as soon as the year starts :lol:

Next race will no doubt be in Feb, probably do the Kingston Wheelers 14 mile hilly TT.
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    My first race of the season is March 12th - Somerset Road Club Spring Circuit Races 1. It's also my first ever race... :?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    I'm a long way from being ready to race so my first one is likely to be the Abergavenny RC handicap race on 8 May (last of the series). Would probably aim for the one on 23 April but will be away as it's Easter. Can't be arsed with going round and round Llandow and the others in April and May in my area are a bit on the hilly side for me.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    edited January 2011
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Was to be a series in march but new kid is coming (as long as the courier delivers on time, preferably with free haribo) so that's out. Think it's going to be the end of April now.

April 24th?

Our club events start on March 26th & doubt I'll do anything before that.

[Edit]

There's an LVRC TT at the end of February I might give a go

[/Edit]
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    I'll probably start TTing some time in March. Last cross race for me is early Feb so not much of a season "start" and "end" to speak of!

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Anonymous
    RichK wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

April 24th?

Yep
  • should be TTing again this year so April i think with a lovely new bike :D
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    dmclite wrote:
    Just out of interest, when are you all starting your season ? I have just booked my first road race of the year, March 13, Biddenden in Kent, 62 miles. Getting the cakkers just booking the thing let alone riding it. :shock:

That's a cracking course. Fast and furious.
  • Just started training for the new season so going to have to skip the springtime pursuits, which is a shame but I forgot how early they start (thought mid march not 19th feb!). Real pity as it's on the A30 (old) where I ride half my rides. Springtime pursuit #1 was my first ever race. Bit brutal.
    jonmack wrote:
    My first race of the season is March 12th - Somerset Road Club Spring Circuit Races 1. It's also my first ever race... :?

Might go for this one though! :)
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    Anyone here going to the Velo29 Darlington road circuit winter series? That's the nearest one I can find for me, but even that's probably too far to get to. Has a Cat4-only race as well, if only I had a car...
  • 1st salvo of the year was this Saturday gone sprinting for the sign at the end of the chainy...... Quite impressed at the prowess of our lot already this year ;)
  • DHTT
    DHTT Posts: 345
    jonmack wrote:

Also My First Race Of The Season :D
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,830
    My season doesn't kick off till around the 10th of May so I got a while yet, more time for training :)
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • my local races start at the start of march, but think my first UK race will be the Peter Young memorial race, then will be off to France to race around the 10th of April
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    Pross
    Can I ask have you got all 3 dates for your Abergavenny Handicap RR's, can't find them on your site or BC race calendar !

Any help much appreciated :D
  • 1st race was last Tuesday 4th Jan - winter track league. First TT will the PTW 2 up 25 in March (no doubt p1ssing down and 3 DegC as usual), might do some Llandow crits before then if the track isn't open...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    3Pears wrote:
    Pross
    Can I ask have you got all 3 dates for your Abergavenny Handicap RR's, can't find them on your site or BC race calendar !

Any help much appreciated :D

They're in the members pages on our club forum, provisional at the moment but doubt they'll change.
  • Unless I go down to Hillingdon my 1st race is likely to be the Paramount series event 1 in Shrewsbury.

Cant decide whether or not to do the Evesham Vale RR this year(as my 3rd race), last time saw me and 10 others fly out the back in the 1st 20 miles. E/1/2/3 races are bigboyshit.
  • Surfr
    Surfr Posts: 243
    Sheptastic wrote:
    Unless I go down to Hillingdon my 1st race is likely to be the Paramount series event 1 in Shrewsbury.

Paramount for me too. Not ridden there before but have a couple Pembreys and Tywyn crit under my wing from last season. Looking to hold onto the group and contest the sprint in the 3/4 :) Very excited :D
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    I may not do any races at all this year, the interesting races I would've done are out as I've better things to do and the local races I'm probably not bothered about.

If a stage race in surrey does reappear on the calendar I might do that. But it may be the entire year off.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Sheptastic wrote:
    Unless I go down to Hillingdon my 1st race is likely to be the Paramount hairpin of death series event 1 in Shrewsbury.
  • Yeah I'm doing the velo29 series, I race for the team, so will be rude not to! Should be good as long as the weather is kind to us, don't fancy coming down, as got a training camp end of feb. Be good to get some speed work in, after that will be the neil White stokesley, which always hurts ;-)
    Up hup hup hup.....fricking hate that!
  • Surfr wrote:
    Sheptastic wrote:
    Unless I go down to Hillingdon my 1st race is likely to be the Paramount series event 1 in Shrewsbury.

Paramount for me too. Not ridden there before but have a couple Pembreys and Tywyn crit under my wing from last season. Looking to hold onto the group and contest the sprint in the 3/4 :) Very excited :D

Its good fun, found it harder than it should have been in the 2 events I did thanks to getting caught up in a crash and then having to red line it in order to get back on. The 2nd time I got a bit attack happy at the beginning and basically lead the pack out on 2nd to last lap... won't be doing that again!
  • Sheptastic wrote:
    Unless I go down to Hillingdon my 1st race is likely to be the Paramount hairpin of death series event 1 in Shrewsbury.

Tell me about it! if it was cambered it'd be fine but its narrow and mossy on the edges. not much fun!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Darley Moor for me on the 5th March I think. The races that matter to me don't start til April though.
    More problems but still living....
  • Surfr wrote:
    Sheptastic wrote:

If I may offer you some wise words.
    There is no point in contesting a gallop if you've not put your nose in the wind all day - it only marks you out to others as a lazy and thoughtless racer.

If it's you first time there i would focus on learning how to ride it safely forget your ambitions of the gallop unless you find yourself in the top few riders coming out of the final hairpin I've seen folk sprinting for 30th place before now and ruining their season with a nasty crash - its a long season so take it easy and treat it as a workout- there are a few things you should know - beleive me i've learned these the hard way on that circuit.

It's slightly up hill towards the finish and there the racing line through the chicane is only wide enough for 2-3 riders at full tilt - High possibility of being T-Boned onto the turf

Top corner - you can pedal round it safely at speed - there is no reason to S*** out - ride it smoothly in the saddle and its easy peasy...

Prior to the hairpin of death - there is always a mad chipper rush to gain a few places - avoid it at all costs and stick your elbows out and make note of the position of those around you - ie is some twonk trying to come up the outside / inside....

Hairpin of death- Glide it with your left pedal up at all costs. Do not kick when the man in front of you kicks - kick Where he kicks or after. Most accidents happen here because folk kick to early or clip their pedal whilst shifting balance..

Remember it better to slow down or stop than to die.....
  • I may do a winter series at Hillingdon or Fowlmead if I feel in form next month. Otherwise maybe Dunfolds Park March 6th. If not that then definitely the Biddenden race.
  • Totally agree with you tester, get riders who do jack shite all race. Then with a lap to go get all excited, then into the last corner don't hold there line and create chaos. Does my napper right in ha! Fools!
    Up hup hup hup.....fricking hate that!
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    There is no point in contesting a gallop if you've not put your nose in the wind all day - it only marks you out to others as a lazy and thoughtless racer.

You don't have to spend time pointlessly pulling people around or trying to jump away and earn some right to sprint, you just have to be safe.

You're not lazy and thoughtless - it's a race win it however you want.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/