Bike recomendation please.

godlykepower
godlykepower Posts: 15
edited January 2011 in Commuting general
Hi

I have been out of the cycling game for some time now & have decided that 2011 is my year for doing something different.

After years of humming & ha-ing about doing it, I am going to do LEJOG. I have managed to talk the missus into joining me too.

I need a recomendation for something suitable for doing such a trip...however, I dont want a purely touring bike..I want something that I might be able to ride to & from work on as well. Something that I can also use on weekends for little potters out & about.

I will ride on road 98% of the time, with only light, occasional forays off-road.

If I can condition myself to get back into it enough, I would eventually want a bike suitable enough for multi-week travels around Europe, so it must have the flexibility to accept panniers all round.

I also prefer the feel of 700 wheels as opposed to 26" too. If I am being very picky, then I prefer drops rathers than straights too.

Thorn is obviously a name that comes up time & again, but their website is not that clear really, but i will be calling them for a chat tomorrow. Being a traditionalist, I want to stick with rear mechs as opposed to a Rohloff.

Evans are about to take UK delivery of a Colnago Freedom this week. Thoughts on these?

I would really like to be able to buy a frame only & build up a bike to my own spec over a few months, but if there is a recomendation for an off the peg bike, i can put money aside for that too - I want to spend around the £1000 ish.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Martin
I'd rather live a year like a Tiger, than 100 years like a Sheep.

Comments

• waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    Rules are for fools.
  • Wow, that looks really nice! Thats the kind of thing i'm on about exactly.

The only thing that concerns me though, is that it is disc brakes front & rear? What are the implications of having discs & usings panniers?
    According to the blurb, this bike was ridden round the world, so I don't think it can be much of an issue?

Martin
  • waddlie
    Not sure about discs and racks; Evans sell Genesis so suggest you see if they'll order one if for you to have a look at?

If you want something individual, you might also want to think about a Surly Long Haul Trucker...

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/long_haul_trucker_complete/

Not sure if they have a distributor in the UK so possible import implications. You could also just get the frame and custom build it to your own requirements if that's you're thing.

Had a look at the Colnago Freedom myself when I was looking for a speedy commute bike. While it's a nice bike, it's not £1,000 worth and I settled for my Giant Rapid instead. Neither are tourers though. If you can stretch to £1,250 the venerable Dawes Galaxy is popular amongst the Long Distance Claras but it aint light by any stretch of the imagination...

http://www.dawescycles.com/p-347-galaxy.aspx
    Rules are for fools.
  • Yeah, I have investigated Surly LHT's...there are no import implications as they are available through Wiggle for £349.

Currently, I have a couple of Thorns & a Surly on my shortlist, but there has to be more choice?

Really liking the Genesis suggestion! I have just fired off an email to them regarding my rack/disc query. We shall see.

Cheers for the help so far!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    If someone gave me £1,000 now to spend on a do it all bike I'd get a Boardman Pro CX Cyclocross or other CX bike.

Fast, light, versatile, drops and I spy pannier mounts, then again, I like to go fast, even if I have a tent on the back :twisted:
    http://www.boardmanbikes.com/cx/CX_Pro.html
  • waddlie
    Specialized Tricross, perhaps? Or see if you can snaffle a Trek Pilot 2.1? Now discontinued but there might be some of last year's stock floating around...
    Rules are for fools.
  • I recently got a Specialized Tricross Sport mainly for commuting and it's a great all round bike. If you can wait til March (I couldn't!) then the Cannondale CAADX 105 looks great value at £999.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cannondale-CAAD ... _39588.htm
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Personally I think a tourer would be the perfect ride to work bike. Mudguards, panniers, a strong yet light frame and you can even get them with disc brakes now for wet weather. Have a look at Edinburgh Bicycle's range, they won't break the bank and mine has been a superb purchase.
    I also prefer the feel of 700 wheels as opposed to 26" too. If I am being very picky, then I prefer drops rathers than straights too.

Sounds a lot like a tourer.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Trek Portland? Disc brakes but at least they work well, unlike my Tricross canti's!!
    I know two people with this bike, both are very happy.
    Not the lightest of bikes (due to the discs) but then neither is my Tricross Comp.

With regards to a Tricross....
    Never used panniers, but heard of handling problems when loaded up.
    And CX bikes are very much a compromise - jack of all trades - master of none!

Cannondale CX?
    Check specs, previously these were more race orientated - only one bottle mount etc

Tifosi Audax frame?
    I did consider this frame before buying the Tricross