During a trip out a guy commented on my spinning technique??

2»

Comments

• wollow007
    wollow007 Posts: 118
    Yeah I get the point about middle/middle, my bike struggles at big/little and little/big. I'm planning on doing a 24-hour event (10mile laps) in May and a 75-mile off road in September so endurance is more important to me than looking good going up hills.

My only worry with spinning is that I can tend to blow at the top of the hills, spin myself out, however I recover ok enough to continue, will try both techniques on my next ride and see whats best. Have been reading a lot on climbing techniques and it appears that everyone has there own technique, just gotta find whats best for me.

This is pretty good reading:

http://www.mtb-marathon.co.uk/training/16.php

:wink:
    http://www.clivenutley.com

Orange 5 Pro
    Giant Trance X0
    Mondraker Dune RR
  • tofu21
    tofu21 Posts: 359
    wollow007 wrote:
    75-mile off road in September

If that's Ruthin you need to get you hill climbing skills sorted. It's very, very, very hilly. Be prepared for the big hill close to the start. It's up the road but still takes it out of you.
  • wollow007
    Na it's CLIC24 in Mendip, you done the CLIC24 event?

Would love to know what the course is like :lol:

Orange 5 Pro
    Giant Trance X0
    Mondraker Dune RR
  • wollow007
    The 75mile is London to South Coast, both rides are charity rides so no pressure :lol:

Orange 5 Pro
    Giant Trance X0
    Mondraker Dune RR
  • It's true about the "macho" image pushing big gears.

Without spinning I wouldn't finish half of my rides and wouldn't have got the results I get on the mtn bike.

I think it was Jan Ulrich (Tour de France competitor) used to push big gears but had to learn to spin due to knee damage.

It's my opinion that a good rider will learn to be good at both spinning and grinding and use them both at times when it's required.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It's true about the "macho" image pushing big gears.

It's possible that people are fitter than you, ride differently, or just don't ride such big hills.

I've not had a 22t ring for 5 years, and haven't once missed it. I'm fairly fit though, and ride a light bike. I'm going to try single ring for next season, as I don't think it'll be a hinderance. YMMV.
  • tofu21
    tofu21 Posts: 359
    njee20 wrote:
    I've not had a 22t ring for 5 years, and haven't once missed it.

I don't use granny that much but there are times when I wouldn't do without it. 2am on a 24h plugging through muddy woods that 22t ring just comes in.

But as you say some people are fitter than others and don't need the lower gears because of the hard work that they have put in.

But I still think that 1x10 is seen by some as a badge of honor.... but hey, I like telling people that I do 24h events solo so that doesn't make me much better.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I think it depends on your outlook too.

There seem to be a lot of people who don't think they can ride everything they'll encounter with a single ring, merely that by the time they'd be in those really low gears it's quicker to walk. Others would rather ride, even if it's at 0.2mph.

Personally, I find you have so little momentum by the time you're in the easiest gears that they're not of much use, I've never failed to climb anything through not having a low enough gear IMO.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Depends what you are looking for. I have found pumping away in a bigger gear has improved my leg muscles strength no end. I do this a lot, then often spin out on a long climb, and that improves endurance.

I often stand up when climbing, it just gives another option and the movement I find helps me go further, but only really on smoothe surfaces, standing gives too much power on loose sections and you can spin wheels easily. No right or wrong way, whatever is most comfortable for you.

On rocky sections, a combination of spinning and strength is required when going over loose rock, mud and stuff, sitting down prefereed.

Horses for courses.....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,713
    Do whatever feels comfortable. I'm generally a spinner (unless I'm on my singlespeed), and I generally beat most people up most climbs, because my pedalling speed is the most efficient for my body (as well as being a skinny roadie, which helps). If anyone tries to tell you to pedal differently, just turn the wick up and drop them. :)
  • I've jusst measured my cadence and its about 70 rpm instead of 60. I'm happy with it anyway and i'm not changing.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    hammy7272 wrote:
    Once my mate was cruising up a gentle hill on the way home from a ride. Some t*t rode passed and told him, he was in the 'wrong gear'! What exactly is a wrong gear?

Maybe he was cross-chaining- e.g. smallest cog and smallest ring?
  • nick1962
    nick1962 Posts: 156
    nick1962 wrote:
    Never got out of my seat to pedal yet.Am I doing something wrong :?

Forgot to say I rarely use my granny unless the uphill is really technical or the surface is really lose/slippy and traction is an issue.
    My rhythm "sweet spot " is with a 36 front and a 12-34 cassette.Can get up most hills staying seated with this set up.