Chainsets!

freebs
freebs Posts: 199
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
I have an '08 (I think) alu Boardman Pro Road. The chainset is a Truvativ Roleur double which is carbon wrapped.

The double is fine for the flat countryside round Beds, but having entered the Dragon Ride in Wales I think I will need (at least!) a compact. I have looked online and can't find the Roleur and guess it has been discontinued.

My question is, what chainset could I get to at least equal the quality(?) of the one I have? I am happy to spend a bit of money on it and upgrade but if I can avoid spending the money on a Dura Ace chainset it would help (the shifters and deraillers are DA).

Regarding bottom brackets, I believe the Roleur is GXP(?), would I need to change the BB also? I guess this depends on which chainset I choose. Can the bike support any BB? Lots of questions I know, thanks in advance.

Freebs.

Comments

• kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    get a good deal on Ribble for an SRAM APEX chainset around £58 - you may need to buy BB cups too but they are on about £16
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • freebs
    Thank - you! Will the SRAM chainsets work with the shimano deraillers? Are there any other suggestions to upgrade the chainset? Ribble have SRAM Red chainsets at a good discount.

Freebs.
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    SRAM will work just fine wigh your current set-up. SRAM Force is nice stuff, equally Red if you don't mind spending more.

Likewise Shimano's offerings shouldn't be overlooked. A 105 chainset would do the job well & is probably "in keeping" with the rest of the tackle on your bike.
  • freebs
    Thanks for the replies fella's.
  • freebs
    Would I be able to use BB30 bottom bracket and chainset or does the frame have to be designed for this?

Freebs.
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    Re: BB30, depends on what's on your bike now. I suspect it's a standard GXP BB so BB30 won't be compatible.
  • freebs
    Thanks Andy.