Carbon 456 Finished!

fatlad
fatlad Posts: 105
edited January 2011 in Your mountain bikes
Here is my bike... it truly is a trail weapon now, can't wait for a bit of sun and dry trails!

I've built it up predominantly with bits sourced from the forum so some of the bits may look familiar to some of you, thanks guys. (stav83 CWNT npunshon and more)

I love the look of it, it is without a doubt the best bike I have owned.

Pics:

th_SAM_0188.jpg

th_SAM_0195.jpg
Tried to capture the look of the carbon, its much nicer in the flesh

th_SAM_0194.jpg
Great wheels, cheers CWNT

th_SAM_0198.jpg
No such thing as too much carbon...

th_SAM_0199.jpg
Bargain Ebay stem from HK, cost about 18USD, but with a 2 week wait.

th_SAM_0193.jpg
Only criticism of this frame was the exposed cable run down the seat stay, so a cheeky cut up inner tube wrapped around the existing cable stops has done the trick.

th_SAM_0200.jpg
Second bodge, although you cant really see it... I cut a piece of sheet metal and formed it around the chainstay and sandwiched it in inner tube (hence the now minimal clearance) to make a chainsuck protector. Again a bit of an oversight from On One, but for the frame cost I don't think it would be right to moan!

Frame: 18" On One 456 Carbon
Forks: 2011 Rockshox Revelation RLT 150mm tapered steerer with lock out
Bars: Sunline V One Carbon 31.8
Stem: Truvativ 80mm sourced from Hong Kong because its red!
Headset: One One smoothie mixer
Grips: Outland lock ons

Front Brake: Avid Elixir R SL 203mm
Rear Brake: Avid Elixir R SL 185mm
Hoses: standard - braided coming soon..

Shifters: SRAM X7
Cables: Clarks sealed
Front Mech: XT
Rear Mech: X9

Seat: Specialized Avater 143mm
Seat Post: Ritchey Comp
Seat Post Clamp: Superstar

Cranks: XT
Chainring(s): XT
Chain: SRAM
Cassette: XT
Pedals: V8's
Bottom Bracket: XT

Front Wheel: DT Swiss EX1750 15mm
Tyre: Maxxis Minion 2.35 60A

Back Wheel: DT Swiss EX1750
Tyre: Maxxis Minion 2.35 60a

Weight: roughly 25lbs on crappy bathroom scales, will be bringing it down with some race kings and maybe a tubeless conversion.

Other info: Saving for new drivetrain when it starts getting sunny again, thinking truvativ noir carbon with X0 shifters...

It rides like an absolute beast, the pickup out of corners is superb. For all you carbon doubters, im pushing nearly 18st and it copes fine! If it does break its going to get replaced with a 456 Summer Season.

Hoping to put some serious xc mileage ion this year and lose a few pounds.

Happy riding and heres to a sunny 2011
8)
If you dont ride in the rain, you dont ride

Comments

• Very nice! Carbon has got to be one the sexiest materials to build things with, it just looks so lovely.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,869
    looks great
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Looks great. How dose it feel in relation to a alloy frame? I mean in terms of pedalling stiffness and smoothing out the stings on the rougher stuff.
  • fatlad
    fatlad Posts: 105
    Thanks chaps.
    How dose it feel in relation to a alloy frame?
    Bit tough to answer that one objectively, my last frame was a specialized enduro that weighed in at nearly 36lbs.

I was expecting it to be really harsh, like my last hardtail which was a scott comp racing from 1995.

It appears On One have worked some carbon witchcraft as the power transfer is spot on instantaneous but the ride feels really good even with a 31.6 seatpost.

I will feel better qualified to comment on the frame as the miles build up, but right now I love it.
    If you dont ride in the rain, you dont ride
  • Don't leave it out in the sun or it'll melt! :lol:

Looks good!
  • Bill-87
    Bill-87 Posts: 155
    Cracking bike mate, love it.
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    So want one of these, the rolling chassis deals they had going on not long ago made me want to go get a loan...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Very nice bike there Buddy,
    Similar weave to my old Zasker team Carbon just to note mine did'nt like having a carbon seat pin with it creaking/ cracking all the time tried seat pin in a alloy bike no probs strange?? might just GT lol 8)
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Urgh.. that frame is hideous.. :P

Of course I'm kidding buddy, looks really nice now in it's finished form! Glad to hear you're still enjoying it too, I'm loving the Enduro (although not ridden since before xmas now.. illness and a broken toe.. d'oh!) The 456 was a joy to ride, and agree that it looks even more amazing in the flesh/carbon :)

Shall have to hook up over the Surrey Hills at some point mate, have a blast :)

Was still a pleasure doing business with you mate, and happy riding!
  • mattlee
    mattlee Posts: 35
    Loving that! Very nice indeed 8)
  • That's a lovely looking beast, but isn't the seat post a little bit too high. Surely you can't ride it like this...just an observation not a criticism mind!!

How does it ride on the trails?
    Critical faff - the act of constantly stopping to adjust seat posts, brakes, skewers, bars, pedals, gears, clothing, bags, food, helmets, gloves.........Says it all really.
    (Thanks to mtbwales for that one)