Spoiler: Aussie national road race champ is...

patchy
patchy Posts: 779
edited January 2011 in Pro race
Jack Bobridge. Well deserved too.
point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell

Comments

• skippi
    skippi Posts: 2
    Congrats Jack, must feel almost as good as the Worlds result !

Cycling News Forum are going to have a field day as a result of Lance's tweet !

Come visit parrabuddy.blogspot or tweet on skippydetour.

Hope next time you will have time to sign "Skippy's Legacy" !
    Advocate for "Adaptive/Para Sports Athletes"
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Great result for a very promising young man. I remember his excellent stage win in the ENECO Tour last year, he's building a very strong palmares for a 21 year old!

Of course people will always question the fact that the timing of the Australian National Championships means that the top level european pros aren't likely to be at their best, but at the end of the day you can only beat the guys in front of you.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,921
    Great result for a very promising young man. I remember his excellent stage win in the ENECO Tour last year, he's building a very strong palmares for a 21 year old!

Of course people will always question the fact that the timing of the Australian National Championships means that the top level european pros aren't likely to be at their best, but at the end of the day you can only beat the guys in front of you.

Well the European pros wouldn't be racing there because there not Aussies :)
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • rozzer32 wrote:

I think inkyfingers was referring to the European based pros from Australia. And he's correct in that it's far too early in their season to shine at the Aussie Nationals.
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    rozzer32 wrote:

I think inkyfingers was referring to the European based pros from Australia. And he's correct in that it's far too early in their season to shine at the Aussie Nationals.

Thanks, that's exactly what I meant.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    rozzer32 wrote:

Bizarrely, they actually let foreigners do the Aussie Champs. Ben Swift and Tom Southam were in the race yesterday.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Garmin have a knack for picking up talent.

30km solo - respect.

Gerrans appears to be going well and aggressively this year. I wonder how he will do in TDU.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rozzer32
    Ahhhhh the penny drops.

Good job I'm just a cyclist and not something like an engineer, oh no wait I am, mmmmm must go have a think
  • rozzer32
    edited January 2011
    Double Post
  • i understand what you are saying, but is it not the same situation for jack? he is a european based pro too you know!
  • lucybears
    lucybears Posts: 366
    RichN95 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

Bizarrely, they actually let foreigners do the Aussie Champs. Ben Swift and Tom Southam were in the race yesterday.

and there were several others, much to the annoyance of Robbie
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/no- ... 19iqg.html
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • An Aussie name of Bill Lawrie once won the British national Championships!!!!
    onward ever onward
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,796
    nice one bob
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    lucybears wrote:

and there were several others, much to the annoyance of Robbie
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/no- ... 19iqg.html

He's got a point. It seems very unfair because trade team alliances and payback of favours could influence the outcome, which doesn't seem within the spirit of a National Championship.

Then again, you could say that about the World Championship, there it almost adds to the drama, will x help y because they both ride for whoever, whilst X won't cooperate with Z despite them being on the same national team because they don't see eye to eye.