santa cruz chameleon

Nick78
Nick78 Posts: 26
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Hi everyone

Does anyone on here own a santa cruz chameleon? Im looking at buying one but am after some info on them. I'll b riding the local trails in wyre forest and canal tow paths. What r peoples oppinions on these bikes. Any info gladly accepted

Nick
8)

Comments

• JamieW
    JamieW Posts: 114
    I had an 06-07 model with normal bottom bracket (non eccentric - not sure if they still are)

Used to ride it up on dartmoor, haldon hill nr. Exeter and in the quantocks. It was a solid ride, mine felt slightly heavy and slow - not an xc race bike. But would comfortably eat miles of trails. Single track was GREAT fun on it. Could throw it at anything.

Currently being ridden by my dad as a happy hack bike to the pub and bridleways on the isle of Wight. Make sure u get right size, I got the large and for trails was great fun, but on long rides the seat post was at it's limit mark, could have done with xl for that.
  • I had an 06 chameleon kitted out for hard use XC and rode it every where in every condition going I absolutely loved it then some pikey little git stole it from our garage. Went to have a ride of an 08 onwards with the ecentric BB and hated it so opted for a remedy 8.

I will say try it before you buy it!! Everyones different..
  • Nick78 wrote:
    Hi everyone

Does anyone on here own a santa cruz chameleon?

My friend has one... but he can't seem to find it.. :twisted:
  • Nick78
    Nick78 Posts: 26
    Raymondavalon - nicely put dude

does the eccentric bb feel different to a normal bb? I thought they were only used with single speed bikes not geared

8)
  • It just adjusts the BB height and chain line!!

They messed with the geometry a little as well, I just didnt like it as much..
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    Quite an old school do anything hardtail but its more aimed at hard hitters and the odd jump rather than hours of spinning away and light xc use
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    They're pretty ace, though the EBB is just annoying, adds weight and complexity for something most people don't use.

Definately worth checking out the Ragley Mmmbop as well, if you can find one in your size, it's not the same but they both fit a similiar hardcore alu hardtail niche. I prefer the Bop to the Chameleon and it's 1/4 the price, nuff said for me really!
    Uncompromising extremist