What bike should I buy ?

kjpeel
kjpeel Posts: 6
edited January 2011 in Road beginners
Hi,
I appreciate there will likely be a vast range of opinions on what bike I should buy but I thought I'd ask anyway. I've found the reviews on this site useful but am not really sure I could read every single one and even then know the right answer.

I guess I should share a little about me and my requirements so people can have a good guess at what might be appropriate.

I have been commuting by bike for a few years on a £500 hybrid (GIANT FCR3) and am largely happy with that and intend to continue to use it for that purpose. Last year though I did London / Brighton a couple of times and a few sprint tris so this year I want to get a bit more serious. I'm planning to do a few olympic tris this year and hope to do some decent rides as well, Paris perhaps.

I'm aware that I could probably do just as well by losing some weight from me not the bike. In reality I'm still focused on completing rather than competing. However with the bike to work scheme available (any my suspicion it might get cut) I decided to buy now and hopefully get years of use from some good quality.

So far I've considered the Trek Madone 4.5 and the Quintano Roo Tequllia. Not for any other reason than they were in the shop I looked at.

My budget is up to £2k

Comments

• Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    I hope you realise what a HUGE question this is?

The fact is, there is probably about a few dozen bikes well worth £2k.

So what do you do? Just look at the top 3 reviews in the magazines. Buy the "Bike of the Year" and be done with it.

The Cannondale Six Carbon Ultegra looks the one I would buy...or maybe a Bianchi...Or a ...or a ..no a....damn what a hard choice

:wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Bikes offer good value for money at the moment. You can't go much wrong with one from another. Studying the fine detail of one bike compared to another at a similar price point is perhaps not the best way for someone to be spending their time.

Rule no.1: Get one the right size. And money spent on a good pair of shoes and good quality clothing is money well spent.
  • Just be careful you get the right fit bike for you - the giant fcr is not a hybrid its a compact road frame with flat bars (I own an FCR 1 - my commute bike) but still has quite a relaxed geometry.

I was quite keen on a kuota kharma - but upon having a cycle fit done discovered it just doesn't fit my shape.

cheers philip
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    beeroclock wrote:
    Just be careful you get the right fit bike for you - the giant fcr is not a hybrid its a compact road frame with flat bars (I own an FCR 1 - my commute bike) but still has quite a relaxed geometry.

I was quite keen on a kuota kharma - but upon having a cycle fit done discovered it just doesn't fit my shape.

cheers philip

+1 That's actually a good point. Spend some money on a bike fitting to see your measurements, then study the manufacturers specs.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • kjpeel
    kjpeel Posts: 6
    I do realise it is a huge question. My experience of forums is though people who are really keen are always happy to contribute. And that said, I'm grateful for the answers. The fact my opinion of my own bike is incorrect only demonstrates how useful the advice is.

I hadn't even considered a proper fitting. Makes sense, I'll certainly follow that advice and then take it from there.

Many thanks
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Pay attention to the wheelset it comes with. At that price level there's a huge variation in wheel weights. I'd look for something around 1500g like Shimano RS80s or Mavic Ksyrium Elites. Even if the bike doesn't come with super wheels you may be able to upgrade very cheaply on a new bike.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!