Bwlch y groes

Brian B
Brian B Posts: 2,071
Anybody know of sportive that goes over the Bwlch from the 'hard side' this year? Have done the back of the Bwlch before on the original mega challenge. Would like to bag this climb at some point to add to my portfolio of hard climbs.
Brian B.

Comments

• [img][/img]p1000588c.jpg
    you mean this(Dinas Mawddwy) side, i took these pics about halfway up it on a motorbike ride last year,,very steep hairpin kicks it off then a constant 10 -15% grade all the way to the top, and about 450m of climb, on this pic after the highest point you can see, it goes on another 100m or so to the summit,i,m glad i was on my motorbike as i thought as i took this pic i,d never get up this beast in one go on my road bike ,the pic below is from the same point looking down to the valley floor,i thought the Mega Challenge was the only sportive to use this climb. [img][/img]p1000589800x600.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • Brian B
    Thanks kettering but the mega only did it from the dinas side for one year and then reverted back to the other side.
    Brian B.
  • I think one reason this side of the Bwylch isnt used as much in sportives, is because to get to it you have to use the A470 and A458 main trunk roads for some miles, and organisers might worry about having big groups of cyclists on these busy roads.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    These boys seem to be going up it from Dinas....... http://www.cyclosport.org/eventdetails.aspx?eventid=374 :oops:

I did it after 70 miles into the Wild Wales Challenge a few years back and the last section was bloody awfull as I had done tons of climbing already, we then went down the Eunant Pass to Vyrnwy then up the Hirnant Pass :shock: it was one tough ride. :o
  • Brian B
    Thanks Ron, did the original Mega a few years ago and came up from the back of the Bwylch and descended to Lake Vyrny and thought that it was the same this year.

Had a quick look at the map and the website and it looks good. Since I am coming from Scotland can anybody local confirm this.
    Brian B.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Brian B wrote:
    Thanks Ron, did the original Mega a few years ago and came up from the back of the Bwylch and descended to Lake Vyrny and thought that it was the same this year.

Had a quick look at the map and the website and it looks good. Since I am coming from Scotland can anybody local confirm this.

Try this Brian http://www.davelloydcoaching.com/home.php?/Contact

and enjoy :D
  • Ron Stuart wrote:
    These boys seem to be going up it from Dinas....... http://www.cyclosport.org/eventdetails.aspx?eventid=374 :oops:

I am one of the guys in this photo. It was taken when we recced the entire 150 mile route of the DLMC with Dave Lloyd a few years ago. This photo was taken towards the top where it is at its steepest and b.....y hard going as you can see from the way we were struggling to keep moving forward.

It is a great ride and certainly a lot tougher than coming at it from the other side. Take care on the descents whichever way you do it.