Hate it when...

benneally
benneally Posts: 973
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Just cleaned my bike. Found this;

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/6042098/

Gutted. I assume they are now ruined and should be changed?
Quite angry as the thing that has done it is the cable tie that that lbs fitted to hold the front brake hose in place...

Comments

• RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    You can send them back to Fishers to get a new Crown and Steerer unit. It'll cost about £200 IIRC but that's a lot less than a new set of Rebas
  • mattlee
    mattlee Posts: 35
    Not good! I would be very upset :x
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    thats a BIG scratch for stanchions :shock:
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    How did a cable tie do that without you noticing :shock:

And how did the cable tie do that anyway, it shouldn't be anywhere near the stanchions
  • If i was you i'd complain to your lbs, especially as its work caused that.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    How long ago did they fit it though. I'd definitely be pee'd off at them anyway, but I'd also feel pretty stupid if it'd been more than a couple of rides without me noticing. Complain anyway so it doesn't happen to anyone else. I'd expect some goodwill gifts at a minimum.

Ribble had some Reba SLs for about £200 a while back. Might be less trouble than a new CSU.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    You could also look for some spares/repairs forks with damaged lowers and swap the uppers across
  • benneally
    You can just see the head of the zip tie in the shot, next to the scratch. The head must have moved round to contact the fork and then scratched it to smithereens....

Now I might be able to fulfil my ambition of getting a nice lefty fork.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not fitted correctly then.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benneally
    How drastic would the effect be if I fitted a 100mm fork instead of a 120mm (on a large scott spark)? Are internal spacers within forks easy to change between 80 and 100mm?
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    Just converted mine to 120mm from 100, took me an hour form forks out to back in, with a bit of fafing about on the computer in between. ( checking diagram and instuctions)
    Used these insructions.
    http://www.more-mtb.org/forum/showthread.php?p=119183#post119183
    Personally I wouldn't worry about the rub, the wipper &seals should still do their job, if however oil starts to leak that is a different story.
    Don't think, BE:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    benneally wrote:
    How drastic would the effect be if I fitted a 100mm fork instead of a 120mm (on a large scott spark)? Are internal spacers within forks easy to change between 80 and 100mm?

get another fork of the same year. swap the crown assy over and shorten the other to hide the scratch and sell on....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benneally
    Nicklouse, I am appalled!!!!

I quite fancied some new forks anyway...

Any thoughts in terms of geometry adjustment?
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,093
    nicklouse wrote:
    benneally wrote:

get another fork of the same year. swap the crown assy over and shorten the other to hide the scratch and sell on....

Remind me to never buy anything of you!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,093
    nicklouse wrote:
    benneally wrote:

• matthew h wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    benneally wrote:

+1
  • matthew h wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    benneally wrote:

Or maybe he meant shorten the one he has, and keep the scratched one with it functioning properly and sell the other one.