Time iClic

mankybianchi
mankybianchi Posts: 117
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi

After reading of various mishaps and snapping cleats I was interested to know how these cleats are doing now? I heard that there was at least one new version of the cleat made which had 2 holes filled in apparently to make it stronger, but is this the case?

I like the idea of easier to clip into pedals as I only ride fixed, so anything that helps me to get clipped in quickly is good, but obviously am wary about snapping cleats.

Up till now I've been using old Shimano mtb shioes and spd pedals but the shoes have fallen apart now. I have a pair of Sidi Genius 3 shoes which I used to use with Look pedals but I find them too hard to actually get into on a fixed bike.

Will the Time cleats work with these older generation Sidi's.

Sorry, so many questions…

Comments

• eiger30
    eiger30 Posts: 39
    I have the racer model, pedals are good (cost a lot though) and yes the cleats are not as robust as Look cleats. My cleats work fine though the plastic around the holes that no don't exist has snapped and as said this does not affect the cleat working. Mainly because they are so damned big and weak area has nothing to do with the binding area but the walking area. Lased my a seaon though.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I can get 3-4 years out of Time cleat (RXS/Impact) whereas you can be lucky to get more than 6-9 months from a Look cleat - plus there's the inevitable 'squeak' from Look. Also as the Look cleat wears, it get sloppier and eventually snaps-off, usually mid-ride!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • eiger30
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I can get 3-4 years out of Time cleat (RXS/Impact) whereas you can be lucky to get more than 6-9 months from a Look cleat - plus there's the inevitable 'squeak' from Look. Also as the Look cleat wears, it get sloppier and eventually snaps-off, usually mid-ride!

Agree, my Look squeak so much it sounds like I have a mouse nest in my bidon.
  • Thanks for all the replies.

eiger30 - do you think that the iClics are easier to clip into than the RXS style? Is there that much of a difference between the 2 styels do you think?
  • jimmurray
    jimmurray Posts: 130
    I go through a set of iclic cleats approximate every 3months, one just broke today. Good pedals shocking cleats!
  • Hmm, that's not so good. Is that due to them simply weraing out as oppossed to them breaking? Must turn out to be pretty expensive then.

Perhaps I'll go with RXS type.
  • eiger30
    Thanks for all the replies.

eiger30 - do you think that the iClics are easier to clip into than the RXS style? Is there that much of a difference between the 2 styels do you think?

Much, much easier as they are open like a ski binding and downward pressure close them. Visually they true to the Time arrow head design of the RXS.
  • IanT187
    IanT187 Posts: 25
    I don't actually find my iClicks that easy to clip into - reviews I read before buying them suggested they click in with just the weight of the shoe, mine certainly don't! Saying that I like the "float" and I am pleased with them. Done about 500 miles on mine so far with no problems of cleats breaking. NB I use mine with a Northwave shoe, I have heard somebody previously suggest the cleats can break when attached to certain brand shoes and the profile isn't quite right!
  • hardy26
    hardy26 Posts: 24
    I have the RSX style. I've had them for over two years and not had to replace the cleats. I'm also not carefull when walking on them and they are still in one piece. Only draw back is I have to put most of my weight on them to get them to clip in.
  • jimmurray
    jimmurray Posts: 130
    I'm using Specialized pro shoes and the profile of these don't help as one if the rear cleat 'supports', doesn't have much of the shoe underneath it to support it. But also had issues with the front of the cleat wearing/breaking.