Wiggle Tandem Challenge

Rodrego Hernandez
Rodrego Hernandez Posts: 1,436
edited January 2011 in Amateur race
I notice David (I know that rider) Harmon is crowing about the Wiggle Tandem record challenges again.

Last year I must admit to becoming sick of his talking about this during the Eurosport cycling coverage - are we going to have the same again.

They aren't even breaking records that exist, they are 'setting' records and not with much success either. Last season they waited for the most favourable conditions and then failed to finish.

Surely any decent 1st or 2nd cat pairing would do better than that and with the might of Wiggle supplying the most trick kit - in return for copious amounts of Eurosport plugging no doubt - am I alone in thinking this ego trip is taking the pi$$ a touch?

Comments

• ooooooh a saucer of milk for you! That sounds like a whole heap of green eyed envy coming out there. The guy gets to travel round the globe commentating on the sport he/we love and then gets backed by a large retailer for a project he's dreamt of for sometime. Why can't you just be happy for him. He's a great comentator and very knowledgable. Just ride your bike and enjoy it!
  • He's not a very good commentator and gets on my nerves plugging his own events when he should be telling me what is happening in a race, not telling me he knows certain riders and that they are really nice. This doesn't happen with football commentary, why do we have to put up with it?
  • Sorry, but I've got to disagree with you. He's often in the box for over 5 hours at a time when there is little happening in the race. He steps it up when necessary and fills the gaps superbly with entertaining anecdotes based on his vast experience and relationships within the peleton.
    His commentary of the 2009 World Road Race championships was stunning and very emotional.
    Try being a little more positive. You might like it as much as the football commentary!
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i think david harmon is great. and the tandem action is typical example of the work he does to raise the profile of the sport.

any 1st or 2nd cat racer wouldn't be seen dead riding a time trial on a tandem.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    How anyone can criticise Harmon in comparison to Statler & Waldorf over on ITV4 needs their head examined. Besides, tandem TT isn't quite as bad as Duffield's trike exploits
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • suze
    suze Posts: 302
    The guys didn't finish the attempt because DHs tandem pilot suffered a foot injury that has pretty much prevented him from riding properly since. The guy had rode the first 300 miles with a broken bone in his foot. Earlier in the year DH himself had sufferd an injury that had prevented him from training properly.

At the time they decided to pull the plug they were actually up on schedule. Weather conditions were not the ideal on the day with a strong side wind through the Cotswolds. Holding a tandem in a straight line with side winds and car/caravans passing your elbow with inches to spare isn't easy, you should try it.

Both guys rode their hearts out that day, both being sick at some stage of the day. I should know I followed every mile in the team car.

What DH has done is to gather a team people with individual expertise to try things in a new way using new technologies. I just wish I had a much energy and enthusiasm has Dave has for cycling and ithe promotion of cycling.
    �3 grand bike...30 Bob legs....Slowing with style