Cycling from Paris, over the Alps to Italy*

Iron Enthusiast
Iron Enthusiast Posts: 7
edited January 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hi all,

This April i'm planning on flying into Paris and then cycling down through France, past Geneva and over the Alps to the Northern Italian lakes to a place called Pallanza - roughly 800km.(where I'll be attending a friends wedding)

I've checked withh AA and Google maps for the shortest route (excluding Motorways) and have this route map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...e=UTF8&t=p&z=7

I've no doubt that there will be some issues with the above route and would be very interested to hear your thoughts.

I was also wondering if anyone here has ever cycled out of CDG airport in Paris as i'm guessing that could be a dodgey / confusing mess of roads and HGVs!

I'll be travelling very light as my GF will be flying direct with the gear i'll be wearing in Itlay and hope to cover about 140km per day until I reach the Alps - at which point I have no idea of what my speed / lack there of may be?

Thoughts and opinionson my route and what to expect re:the Alpine section would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I couldn't get your map link to show me anything other than Kansas.

However, you may find that CDG is joined to a network of cycle paths, if only to get the employees to and from the place. This is certainly the case at Geneva Airport, anyway. Once you are more than 5 km away, you will be able to find quiet roads (they have so many of them in France!) If I were you, I'd head due East for Meaux and take it from there.

140km per day is fine, as long as you are fit. Another way to look at it would be to aim to spend 7 to 8 hours per day on the bike, taking advantage of the flat bits to give yourself time for the lumps. On the big Alpine climbs, I would halve your estimate of how far you will get. If the worst comes to the worst, you can always jump on a train for a 100km to catch up.

Also, don't expect the Alps to be the only serious climbs you encounter. Eastern France is pretty lumpy terrain.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Iron Enthusiast

Your link only takes me to the default location for Google Maps.

My advice would be to consider first and foremost the passes over the Alps. I don't know where Google takes you, but the direct option might not be the most bike-friendly for example I suspect you would want to avoid the Mont Blanc tunnel.

viamichelin.com has a route planning tool that has a bike-freindly option. It's worth a shot if only to give you some initial ideas, but you could do just as well studying the map (use the viamichelin site) and if you can find a pass that isn't too high and involves a minor road - avoiding routes nationales and strada statale if you can.

Once you have an option or two try seeing if people on here have any experience with the passes concerned.

Once you've decided on a pass you can work back from there. (I suspect from a quick look at the map, that you may be better off turning right before you get to Geneva and then heading through Switzerland).

You might also want to consider routes that give you a bailout option of taking the train!
  • psmiffy
    psmiffy Posts: 236
    Alps - I suspect in April that many of the roads you will need to get to your destination by bike will still be closed by snow - a lot do not open till June in some years
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    psmiffy wrote:
    Alps - I suspect in April that many of the roads you will need to get to your destination by bike will still be closed by snow - a lot do not open till June in some years

Ah, good spot! You're going to need a train to cross them, I suspect.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Thanks a million for all of your responses, they're much appreciated!

Since my original post I've been informed that I can't take all theleave days I'd booked (busy time of year at work). As such I've had to shorten the route so i'll now be cycling from Geneva to Pallanza in Norther Italy. Here's the proposed route: http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&q=fran ... CBoQ8gEwAA (I hope it works this time. If it doesn't just go to goolge maps and get directions from Geneva to Pallanza (Italy) and select avoid motor ways and tolls). I'm using that map as a basic starting point and will amend the route as required. In total I now only have 4 days, landing in Geneva on Monday April 25th!

Again if anyone has any recommendations or suggestions I'd be grateful!
    You've raised an interesting point regarding the snow in the alps at that time of year, something which I 'd overlooked. I'd still hope to get in a few climbs but because of the reduced time I have available I'm just looking to enjoy the journey and scenery in places i'd have just passed anonymously in a plane!

Many thanks again in advance!
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    ThHere's the proposed route: http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&q=fran ... CBoQ8gEwAA (I hope it works this time. If it doesn't just go to goolge maps and get directions from Geneva to Pallanza (Italy) and select avoid motor ways and tolls). !

no it doesn't work and honestly you'd be better off using the bike option on viamichelin.com.
  • Thanks Andy.

I've treid several times on viamichelin.com but it keeps telling me that either i) we cannot complete your request due to a technical error or ii) we cannot calculate cycle routes over 200km?

Maybe i'm using it wrong. I;d love it to work as it seems like a useful navigation tool...
  • Hey,

Just bumping this thread

I'm still looking for any advice , suggestions which people may have on the Geneva to Pallanza route (Looking to get the most out of the days there)!

I'll also be keeping a blog of the trip and general cycling and training i'll be doing in case anyone's interested. :wink:

Blog: www.TheOutsideBeat.wordpress.com
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    saint etinne>>> col d la republic>>> crest>>>>die>>>> Gap>>>briancon>>>montgeneve

always open that time of the yr plus it cuts down on the number of major cols to one stiff and one easy

down hill to turin then a ride up to the foothills from the south
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm