Orange Clockwork 1992

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited January 2011 in Your mountain bikes
My first ever retro project.

After selling my Awesome Mmmbop due to family commitments I was in the market for something to do the commute on. Looked at a few cheap MTBs and road bikes etc, then purely by chance, came across this on ebay. Always wanted one when I was a boy so figured why not.

Bought off ebay for £150. No idea if that's good or not, it seems grand to me though. Going to be used exclusively as a commuter machine anyway.

Sold as a 1992 but I have no idea if that's correct. If anyone would care to enlighten me, or tell me how I can find out, that would be superb.

Paintjob has seen better days but there are no flakes bubbles or cracks in the frame.

Current spec:
19" Orange Clockwork Frame
Deore LX Hubs on Mavic 231 rims
Deore LX Chainset
Deore LX Front and Rear Mech
Deore V-Brakes with XT Levers
Ritchey Bars

The following upgrades are on the way as we speak:
XT Hubs on Mavic 281 Rims
Raceface Next SL Carbon Bars (Modern part, but I had some laying around off an old XC race build and it's a good way to shave some weight).
Poshbikes Nitrile Foam Grips
Ragley Cheeky Saddle (because it's what I use on everything else)

Frame will be stripped back and re-sprayed (maybe black) when I get round to it.

Weight currently 26.5lbs. Reckon I can get that to 25lbs without too much bother.

DSCF1440.jpg
DSCF1441.jpg
DSCF1442.jpg
DSCF1443.jpg
DSCF1448.jpg
DSCF1449.jpg
DSCF1453.jpg
DSCF1455.jpg
DSCF1458.jpg
DSCF1460.jpg
DSCF1461.jpg
DSCF1462.jpg

Comments

• woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    I reckon that's a good buy. Would love something like that as a winter commuter, just missed an old Marin about the same vintage recently on Ebay by hesitating too long.
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    If it's a bottom-pull front mech then it's '90 - '91. If it's top-pull then it's '92 or after

The '92 Clockwork is my favourite MTB. I'm on my 2nd in the last 5 years and I have a 3rd frame under the bed in case of theft! I use them as commuters and (as they have full rack mounts) for fully loaded touring - been over the Pyrenees and will be doing the Alps this year.

A word of caution - they are prone for rusting around the bottom bracket shell. That's what finished my last one off. If I was you I'd remove the bottom bracket and have a good look. If it's not rusty (or if it's only light) then get some frame sealant in there.

a serious case of small cogs
  • Nice one, good advice thanks! I'll look out for that

Will be giving it a full strip-down and rebuild over the weekend hopefully. Just waiting for some more degreaser to arrive first.

Have to say I was quite pleasantly surprised when it only came in at 26.5lbs complete with wired commuter tyres and pedals. That's
  • toontra
    BTW if you want any more info on vintage Oranges then head over to http://www.retrobike.co.uk There are people there who know every last detail about your bike and where you can get spares.

• toontra wrote:
    BTW if you want any more info on vintage Oranges then head over to http://www.retrobike.co.uk There are people there who know every last detail about your bike and where you can get spares.

That's where I bought my "new" wheels from. Already pestering them for more info :lol:
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    OOooooooo, dats real purdy!

Seriously, that is gorgeous. Nice find, that man. 8)
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Nice buy that, well worth the £££

Love my '98 Clockwork, it's my most ridden bike of the year for 2010

I'm over on retrobike too, same user name, you still CWNT over there?
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • I must say, it's going to take some getting used to.

Having been used to riding the Mmmbop or the 456 for the last 12 months with relatively laid back riding position, the Clockwork is very racey, almost like a flat bar road bike.

Yes Andy B I'm still same user on there.

Paint will be restored to original just as soon as I can find a paint shop to do it for me.
  • Glad to see you've got 2 wheels again matey :) Looks nice and retro too!
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • toontra
    I must say, it's going to take some getting used to.

Having been used to riding the Mmmbop or the 456 for the last 12 months with relatively laid back riding position, the Clockwork is very racey, almost like a flat bar road bike.

I took mine out on Rapha's "Hell of the North" last year and managed to keep up with many road bikes on the road sections - and then overtake them off road :wink:

• Right, after a small amount of shopping and a large amount of polishing, I'd call this finished now although I'm not sure of the bar/stem combo. I have some black "Exotic" scandium bars in the garage, might swap them over or maybe change the stem for a black or silver one. Then again, I may not bother.
    It's just a shame the camera can't register the neon orange and makes it look red. :

Frame and Forks: 1991 Orange Clockwork Neon Orange/White fade
    Chainset: Shimano LX
    Mechs (F&R): Shimano LX
    Wheels: XT M732/730 36H hubs laced to Mavic M281 CD rims.
    Tyres: Schwalbe Spezial City Jet
    Brakes: Deore V-Brakes with XT Levers
    Shifters: Deore 7sp Rear and XC Pro Front Thumbies
    Stem: Orange stalk 150mm
    Saddle: Ragley Cheeky (not exactly retro, but comfy)
    Bars: Ritchey ForceLite
    Grips: Posbikes Nitrile
    Pedals: Wellgo

Weight: 25.14lbs

clockwork001.jpg
    clockwork002.jpg
    clockwork010.jpg
    clockwork006.jpg
    clockwork007.jpg
    clockwork008.jpg
    clockwork009.jpg
    clockwork005.jpg
    clockwork004.jpg
    clockwork003.jpg
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Very nice retro build, you have done yourself proud there!!
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    it's good because it's got Nut Lube on the chain.

:lol::lol:

seriously though.... nice one CWNT... shame the mmmbop had to go though.... :cry:
    I like bikes and stuff
  • It is a shame, but it would only have been used to commute on, which seems a bit of a waste and it wasn't exactly suited to it anyway.

Been for a quick blast round the block on the clockwork this morning and it's actually very impressive.

The v-brakes are not as dismal as I remember either.

I could drop another 1lb off the weight by swapping rims over from the 281 to some 231s I've got here. But I quite like the 281s, they feel well built and nice and solid.

I think it's pretty good considering it cost a total of about £200 all in.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    That looks lovely Cat, really really like it. looks like you got a good deal there! It looks great in it's 'finished' pic.

However, we all know that it'll soon be draped in vintage xtr and old school bling.. you won't be able to resist! :P
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Wow that takes me back, i had an original clockwork until it was stolen years ago, i still have a huge soft spot for them though great bike take care of it!! :D
  • Thought I'd try some different bars on there. Exotic Scandium, only weigh 115g too.
    Opinions? :

clockwork012.jpg
    clockwork011.jpg
    clockwork015.jpg
    clockwork014.jpg
    clockwork013.jpg
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Bars look good to me, orange logo on em works with the orange paintjob & flat bars always look right on a retro build of that age

Great build for £200ish, you certainly could not get something of that quality or weight in a more modern 2nd hand bike

That's one thing I love about retro bikes, you can build a great bike that handles pretty well & is quite lightweight for not much £££

EG the '93 KHS I've just built up with XT, Mavic, Ritchey & Titanium bits for under £400, weighing in at 24.41lbs ready to ride with pedals 8)
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg