Glossop

cyclopsbiker
cyclopsbiker Posts: 516
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
hi, anyone commute from Glossop into Manchester? route ideas and info/advice welcomed

Comments

• jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    When I moved up to the Peak District, I looked at Glossop for commuting to Stockport, and decided that it wasn't very nice by car.

I decided to live elsewhere in the High Peak

I see from your location that you are in the South East. Is this a possible one-off or something more regular?
  • moving to Glossop in April, so a permanent thing. no fixed job as yet (we're sports massage therapists) so just looking for local info in case we commute by bike in the area. I'm gearing myself up mentally for the hills....the body will be dragged along for the ride!!!
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    As I said, I found the A626 (which would be the logical route into Stockport) to be surprisingly tiring to drive.
  • hi, anyone commute from Glossop into Manchester? route ideas and info/advice welcomed

Manchester? city center or satellite towns, its a big connurbation with a small city centre (comparitive to other major towns) and a lot of self contained towns with a good range of amenities in themselves.

Glossop is a bit isolated from everywhere, Along to Hyde and A57 throught to the city centre is gonna be your most direct route to Manchester itself, Gaz (gb155) (http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/) is a Hyder he'd be a good bet for a chat.

Otherwse via Stalybridge and Ashton and into town that way

or the Stockport route but for that you're getting to the backside of Hyde anyway and bikeable routes to Hyde/Stockport and beyond both branch off the M57 link roundabout.

If you were thinking of setting up on your own you'd probably need to look wider than Glossop for clients then hmmm. there is the relative isolation of the place ( but not enough to have a totally captive clientelle like e.g. Buxton and surround) its a self contained little unit with a couple of suburb villages that you really have to have a want or specific need to go to to drive past the other more accessible nearby towns (Oldham, Ashton, Stalybridge, Stockport, Hyde) Be aware its dicey to get to when it snows and the A628 Mottram Moor road heading back into Manchester is a regular traffic jam that is particularly busy & slow at rush hour all the way to the M67 link roundabout.

I've lived in Oldham for 15 years and have been a couple of times to see friends etc but never had the need to go to Glossop for anything I couldn't get elsewhere and haven't really had the incentive to just go for a look as its a PITA without anything unique enough to fire my enthusiasm for a random trip.

Its usually somewhere I pass through or by on my way elsewhere, that could just be me though I'm not a patient traveller and don't think I could be as carless in Glossop as I am now - driving to/from there with any sort of regularity leaves me totally cold - a work pal of mine lives there and rants every single morning about is 1 hour for a <10 mile drive in, but other than that it seems a nice place to live and is definitely a more wealthy bit of the commuter belt.