28mm or 30mm cross tubs - can you still get them?

Croxted Avenger
Croxted Avenger Posts: 837
edited January 2011 in Amateur race
Bit late in the season I know but is anyone else out there racing an old cross frame with less room than the modern alu/carbon jobbies with monster clearance? It seems the only cross tyre out there narrow enough is the Schwalbe CX pro clincher @700x30. I was thinking of giving tubs a go next season but before I went looking for wheels I need to know if the rubbers out there...?
8)
\'You Come At the King,You Best Not Miss\'

Comments

• DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Doesn't look like 30mm Tufo tubs are available from Sonic Cycles any more otherwise would have suggested those. Not cheap at 56 quid each (actually this is cheap in tub terms but seems a big chunk of cash to us clincher fans) but SBR sports do stock 30mm Gommitalia cross tubs;

http://www.sbrsports.com/gommitalia-mag ... re=default

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Thanks David (and AlanF who suggested Elmy Cycles may have stock) - not cheap but I am seduced by the prospect of chugging through mudbaths @20psi wheras this season I just span like a fool.
    \'You Come At the King,You Best Not Miss\'
  • I do science, sometimes.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    FMB do 30 mm tubulars, but they are not cheap (even by 'cross standards), whilst Dugast do 28 and 30 in some of their models (but again, not cheap).
  • Derek at wheelsmith.co.uk has 30mm Gommitalia Magnums available. They are a very similar tread to the Dugast Typhoon.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Thanks David (and AlanF who suggested Elmy Cycles may have stock) - not cheap but I am seduced by the prospect of chugging through mudbaths @20psi wheras this season I just span like a fool.

There is also the low-pressure option of converting your clinchers to the Stan's NoTubes system, apparently very popular on the competitive MTB circuit (a pal of mine who's on the BC coaching staff strongly recommends it) but don't know of anyone who's used it in cross (a cross-specific Stan's kit exists, so the demand must be there). Might be giving it a whirl myself next autumn; has the advantages of rendering pinch-flats almost non-existent plus for a puncture that the sealant can't fix, you can always pop in an ordinary inner tube as a stop-gap. Can be tricky to set up, though, but a good LBS should be able to do that for an appropriate fee.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Tubless set up for cross is pointless and ineffective

due to low pressure you will most likely burp the tyres! so you will lost pressure quickl as well as significantly less volume the MTB tyres meaning there isn't as much air in to hold a good seal.

as well as "burping" the tyre you can also roll the tyre of the rim due to lower pressures!

you can get Clincher tubs which are made by tufo if you want to have a go with those! not tried them my self!

Tubs are a huge advantage in races!
    Lower pressure you can get more grip!
    the carcass is more supple which moulds/moves (what ever you want to call it) which gives you much more grip

less likely to puncture and the feel of the is much nicer, you have to of ridden tubs to know what I'm on about!

MTB tubless works a lot better as your not running less than 20psi and you get specific tyres and Rims to accommodate this! and due to more pressure and larger volume of air in the tyre, it holds a seal much better and is much more stronger in a sense!

slightly going of topic but MTB Tubs and tubular wheels are now coming much more wildly available for XC racers such as my self! but its still expensive and the advantages are roughly those for Cross as well as less weight!
    Tubs can and are a pain when you puncture thou and to glue on! oh and expensive!
    but when has This sport ever been cheap!

It's really depends on if you want to spend that sort of £ ( you can build up some wheels IE mavic reflex rims or easton EA70X for roughly £300) and it depends on how seriously you want to take it!

in the End have fun and enjoy!
    I do science, sometimes.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Tubeless is really yet to be proven for cross - tyre choice is very limited and their reliability at low pressure is suspect. Tubs still are the best fore performance. Punctures are thankfully rare and you can get at least a few seasons from a pair.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..