sleeping bag/mat

mmuk
mmuk Posts: 398
edited January 2011 in Tour & expedition
I'm sure this has all been covered before, but I'm of on a camping tour of Ireland end of May so need to buy a sleeping bag and mat.

Any advice/recommendations welcome!

cheers

Mike

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Snugpac softie and a Thermarest mat for me.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    edited January 2011
    self inflating mats are brilliant for packing small and keeping you cosy.

Two problems: they are hideously pricey out of regular outdoor shops and they can get punctured.

I managed to get one really cheap last year from, of all places, Sports World (that jumble sale of a shell suit emporium to be found in most bland shopping centres). Worth a rummage.

As for bags, again, small packing is beautiful. My Vango two-season is plenty.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    I bought both mine online at a reasonable price. Having slept on bits of rubber in the military for 20 odd years thermarest was the way forward. Bought the snugpac on pack size pretty much. Packs down a little smaller than a rugby ball. I went three season with the lightweight bag.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    If you want a self-inflating mat then Decathlon own-brand are indistinguishable (at least to my untrained eye) from thermarest. However self-inflating mats aren't actually that warm. If you want something that gives you both a more comfortable mattress and more insulation but still reasonably light and packable, then look at the ExPed SynMat Basic. You have to blow it up but that only takes a few minutes of puffing. Buy their pillow as well it's excellent.

Inflatable and self-inflatable mats come with a puncture repair kit. I've never punctured one.
  • pneumatic
    andymiller wrote:
    Inflatable and self-inflatable mats come with a puncture repair kit. I've never punctured one.

I have, and could I find the puncture repair kit??? :oops: :oops:

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Sleeping bag
    http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?tar ... ory_id=286
    andymiller wrote:
    However self-inflating mats aren't actually that warm.
    It's all the holes they cut in the foam that makes them cooler. The perforated ones are OK down to about 12°C average ambient - late April to late October? The unperforated ones are OK on a glacier. Check the R values - 4 is about the same as the Synmat.
    Light mat
    http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?tar ... ory_id=289
    Warm Mat
    http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?tar ... ory_id=289
  • pneumatic
    My experience is that, once you are warm enough, a pillow is probably the most precious resource for a good night's sleep. I have a tiny camping pillow (about A4 size) which is no good on its own, but I use it as the filling in a towel rolypoly and that is really comfortable. If the towel is still wet at bedtime, I use a fleece or a long sleeved cycling top, but that is not quite as effective.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Aplkit are worth a look for both sleeping bag and mat- I've got an Airo and it's indistinguishable from my GF's pricier Thermarest.

Personally I'd question whether a 2 season bag is plenty, although obviously everybody's different and there's a lot of variation in that category. I've got a 3 season bag and it's a good all-rounder for me. Also I find a fleece jacket does fine as a pillow, or just clothes stuffed into a stuff sack.
  • RonL
    RonL Posts: 90
    I have an expedition, three and two season bags. Given the pack-ability restrictions with panniers when cycle camping I use the two season with both a fleece and silk liner. This three part combination of smaller packable bags works well, the air trapping in each layer being further benefit. As for the mat I have a cut-down karrimat, just my width and to below my knees. It also packs well wrapped in a thick plastic bag with elastic bands.

Suggest you trial your proposal prior to travelling. May can still be cold during the night.
    Pedaling spans generations.
  • andymiller
    MrChuck wrote:
    Personally I'd question whether a 2 season bag is plenty, although obviously everybody's different and there's a lot of variation in that category. I've got a 3 season bag and it's a good all-rounder for me. Also I find a fleece jacket does fine as a pillow, or just clothes stuffed into a stuff sack.

It might be worth starting a new thread, but it's a bit of a how long is a piece of string question as it depends on where you're going and when you're going. Personally i'm deeply sceptical about the terminology 'two-season' 'three-season' as it seems so open to different interpretations - I'd rely on the comfort rating system.
    andrew_s wrote:
    andymiller wrote:
    However self-inflating mats aren't actually that warm.
    It's all the holes they cut in the foam that makes them cooler. The perforated ones are OK down to about 12°C average ambient - late April to late October? The unperforated ones are OK on a glacier. Check the R values - 4 is about the same as the Synmat.
    Light mat

Yep, as you say it depends on which one you get. The Thermarest ProLites are 2.2, the NeoAirs are 2.5, Prolite Pluses are 3.8 and RidgeRest 2.6. The R rating of the warmer Alpkit mat is impressive given the weight.
  • aegrey
    aegrey Posts: 15
    Got a Thermarest Prolite 3 Regular myself. Small, light and very comfortable. I really recommend it. £50 atm
    As a sleeping bag got myself a down one from Tesco around 3 years ago. Again, very light and small, never been cold in it, although I do not go touring in the middle of winter :-)
    I am sure there are plenty of other down sleeping bags around small enough.
    I use an Avenir Triple Pannier (£27) which has only 28 lts capacity in total, and I can fit both sleeping bag and mat inside one of the side panniers, plus other small things like inflatable pillow and towel, without a problem at all. I put the tent on the other side and clothes on the top. But as somebody said before, it depends a lot on the kind of tour, length of it, time of the year, etc. Good luck Mike!
    Saracen Ruftrax2 (now only for commuting, later for touring)
    Cube LTD Race 2011
    Specialized Allez Sport 27 2007
  • infopete
    infopete Posts: 878
    Sleeping bag

They look very good, where is the best place to buy them?
    Oh and please remember to click on my blog:

http://americanbicyclegroup.wordpress.com

The more clicks I get the higher it creeps up the google radar :)
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    infopete wrote:
    Sleeping bag

From that link - it's the only place.

Stock now down to 4 - once they run out, they will likely be out of stock for a couple of months at least.
    (It's the way they operate - pay for the next batch with the money from the last batch, no bank loans. This is why they are cheap)
  • BIG + 1 for alpkit. Great little outfit.

I've got the Airo mat. When on the bike I fold it and put it in a dry bag on top of the rack with my saddle bag resting on that. It takes up less room than rolling. It does need blowing up, but this really doesn't take long.

I would have got the Pipe Dream bag too but they were sold out (and Andrew's right, they go out of stock for ages whilst they wait for the next batch to be made - so buy quick).

I went with a Vango Venom 300 (a down bag, with comfort to 0). You gotta be honest about what your likely extreme is ever going to be or you probably carry a bigger bag than you need. I could usually make do with the slightly smaller packing Venom 225 but I can only afford one bag so got the more versatile 300. I guess for Ireland in May the 225 would be fine. (Also keep in mind whether you sleep hot or cold generally.)

I've never bothered with a pillow. Usually stuff a dry bag with clothing and slip it inside a t-shirt or my fleece - depending which I'm wearing.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    andymiller wrote:

Neither have I, but I have had two 'generic' self-inflators delaminate on me, and they don't make kits for that. Complete PITA. Both my thermo-rests are still going strong. They aren't the cheapest, but so far they've lastest longest. Having said that, watch what happens next time I use them! :lol:

+1 for the Snugpac sleeping bags. Great value (I bought a TNF bags once to replace my Sungpac - ghastly thing, kept using the SP!). If you think their lightweight bags might not be quite warm enough, a silk liner can add up to another season -and packs down to next to nowt.

I will be checking the out the Alpkit bags though, following the recommendations above.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    pneumatic wrote:
    self inflating mats are brilliant for packing small and keeping you cosy.

Two problems: they are hideously pricey out of regular outdoor shops and they can get punctured.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/a200-ligh ... -17405914/

I'm sure they do another one, but this is the only one that comes up on their website which is in the same league as the Thermarest. It's a bit bigger, and heavier, but it's way cheaper. i saw it a couple of days ago, and was impressed. If I hadn't got a thermarest before Christmas would have got this. Or just for summer camping, this:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/a100-ultr ... -17405871/ (three quarter length, but okay for summer)
  • Gotte
    pneumatic wrote:
    andymiller wrote:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/repair-kit-34692313/
  • harpo
    harpo Posts: 173
    I think a mat isn't needed. Too bulky and just another thing to lug around and set up/pack away. I don't think they give enough back to make them worth while. Just get a decent sleeping bag and get an inflatable pillow. If lying closer to the ground is too cold then just wear more in your bag.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Alpkit - good gear at sensible prices - had my Airic for about 5 years now and its very comfortable
  • Gotte
    harpo wrote:
    I think a mat isn't needed. Too bulky and just another thing to lug around and set up/pack away. I don't think they give enough back to make them worth while. Just get a decent sleeping bag and get an inflatable pillow. If lying closer to the ground is too cold then just wear more in your bag.

Clothes and sleeping bag compress and all the trapped air is lost. The mian thing about any mat (other than non-foam inflatables) is that they trap air and insulate you. The greatest heatloss when camping is from the ground. It's rule number one when trying to keep warm. If you're just doing summer camping, then fair enough, but anything else, you need a mat.
    The self inflating type are great because, even if there are places like hips and shoulders that compress the foam inside, the rest of you is insulated. Slleeping on the ground without any mat and you lose heat all over.
    THe only way of doing it without a mat is to put grass, pine needles etc under the ground sheet where you intend to sleep. effective, though not often practical.
  • andymiller
    Gotte wrote:
    pneumatic wrote:
    andymiller wrote:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/repair-kit-34692313/

They all come with a repair kit. But it isn't much use if you forget to pack it.
  • Gotte
    Mine didn't. Mine's a Thermorest Prolite. No kit included. I think it depends either which midel you have or where - Europe/US, etc.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    andrew_s wrote:
    infopete wrote:
    Sleeping bag

From that link - it's the only place.

Stock now down to 4 - once they run out, they will likely be out of stock for a couple of months at least.
    (It's the way they operate - pay for the next batch with the money from the last batch, no bank loans. This is why they are cheap)

Cheers, was browsing last night and saw your warning, I ordered the last left zip one at 3am this morning and they are completely sold out now. My sleeping gear is now under 2kg :) (tarptent, downbag, pillow case and self inflating mat).