my Punk Pink Pub Propulsion has arrived!

hatbeard
hatbeard Posts: 1,087
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
Back in the office today after my extended tangle with the poxy flu that's going round so first point of order was of course to get to evans for 8am to collect my new 'punk pink' pub bike which has been sitting in there since tuesday :D

56048.jpg

as it's intended use is to be locked up outside pubs unattended and for the odd trip into the bowels of hell (aka tesco lewisham) I have vowed to make only minimal changes to it and only when it has an affect to it's function as well as form.

based on the reviews I've seen the saddle has to go immediately so that's to be replaced by a Charge Spoon which whilst functional I did vainly match to my surface jacket and the grips that come with the bike look like absolute blister magnets so they're going to be replaced with the ChargexSurface sponge grips (plus it's an excuse to ditch some pink).

[deleted by mod due to malware from bikereviews . com. Please DO NOT embed images from or link to this site]

I'll probably move the rack from the tricross over to this one and look for a more lightweight solution for that so I'm a bit more nimble on the commute to work.

that leaves mudguards of some description to go on (not looking forward to tonights ride home in the rain without any that's for sure) and maybe some new pedals but they're not too urgent as I managed on the tricross for 2 months with the plastic pos pedals it came with. thinking some kind of shimano m324 / velcro strap mash up for maximum options but need to do some further research.

must say though the short ride up old bailey was actually pretty fun, considering the hi-ten frame it feels pretty light and nippy. need to get used to not going anywhere fast at the lights though, nothing like the geared tricross in that respect.

overall for £188 for the bike (and say £70 on bits to make it comfortable/nicer to ride plus some spare light/lock brackets so I can swap with my current ones) it's still a bit of a bargain in my eyes. ok it'll still go on my insurance but i'll not mourn it's loss too deeply if it were to go walkies.
Hat + Beard

Comments

• Well at least it will be safe locked up outside the pub.........unless we are talking about the blue oyster bar!

Seriously though, I actually rather like that.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Nowt wrong with a pink bike - my pink pub bike is still in my posession after approx 5 years of pub trips and even the occasional overnight at Reading station.
    A rack and mudguards will make it even less desirable, and may I recommend a wire basket as possibly the ultimate deterrent ?
    Misguided Idealist
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    But of a bargain I'd say - and would look very disturbing when combined with your interesting Viking inspired wooly combo :D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    hatbeard wrote:
    as it's intended use is to be locked up outside pubs unattended and for the odd trip into the bowels of hell (aka tesco lewisham)

Aha - my local Tescos! Isn't that the most badly laid out Tescos you have ever come across? It really annoys me as its totally illogical!

& what about the guy on the fish counter? What a character!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    aint nothin punk about that.. crunk maybe
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • hatbeard
    Pufftmw wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:
    as it's intended use is to be locked up outside pubs unattended and for the odd trip into the bowels of hell (aka tesco lewisham)

Aha - my local Tescos! Isn't that the most badly laid out Tescos you have ever come across? It really annoys me as its totally illogical!

I saw two separate fist fights kick off inside the store during the same visit before. it sums up the shop/area nicely.

I'm not far from there either... just past the junction with blackheath/greenwich on the other side of the hill.

@CP: that's their description of the colour not mine.

I've just found out you can get electric blue duck tape so I may buy a roll of that and a roll of the silver stuff and give the bike some abuse. :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Good saddle choice. I've got Spoons on both the SS and the Boardman. Very comfortable.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Congratulations on your new lifestyle choice! Coming out by bike is an exotically flamboyant choice.

I must admit, I kind of liked that salmon pink Condor did a few years back.

Bargainous bike!
  • hatbeard wrote:
    Pufftmw wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

I saw two separate fist fights kick off inside the store during the same visit before. it sums up the shop/area nicely.

I'm not far from there either... just past the junction with blackheath/greenwich on the other side of the hill.

@CP: that's their description of the colour not mine.

I've just found out you can get electric blue duck tape so I may buy a roll of that and a roll of the silver stuff and give the bike some abuse. :lol:

I bought my other half a roll of the pink flourescent tape from here http://www.gaffatape.com/Fluorescent-Ga ... fault.aspx for his birthday :lol: must restock as the roll is almost used!
  • hatbeard
    I bought my other half a roll of the pink flourescent tape from here http://www.gaffatape.com/Fluorescent-Ga ... fault.aspx for his birthday :lol: must restock as the roll is almost used!

what on earth has zephyr been using that for then? :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • his mudguard for a start....and generally everything else that threatens or has fallen apart - so I'm not included in that :lol:
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    awesome bike mate, absolute class
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Does this change your FCN? :P
  • hatbeard
    I'm sure it will when I ride it.

I still have cold/flu on my chest so riding is painful at the moment but once it fully clears I'll be tweaking the sprocket sizes to give me a bit more top end speed so I can defend my scalp and retain the shreds of my manhood left whilst riding it :lol:

I had a burn home on it last night though and again to tesco's and it's good fun to ride. if I can get some adjustable spanners on my trip to the hardware shop later I'll try flipping the hub and giving fixed a go I think.
    Hat + Beard