Any skiers / snowboarders out there ?

Fireblade96
Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
Having some time on my hands this winter, I'm trying to go snowboarding at least a couple of weeks. However, of my usual snow buddies 1 has emigrated, 1 is cycling round the world, and 1 has broken his hand and is out of action till March.

Anyone fancy a week's boarding/skiing ? There are some cracking deals out there atm - just spotted a week in a 4* catered chalet in the 3 Valleys for <£300 !

FB No Mates :-(
Misguided Idealist

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,165
    At the risk of joining the Billy No-mates Club, I'm having the same sort of hassle with my ski crew regulars: one's already been (git), one's too busy to commit to anything till at least next month & isn't sure in any event: one's out of work and has no dosh. Probably doesn't help that I can't go till the second half of March but if I'm still in that position in Feb then I'd consider it as I can't go without my annual ski fix :)

When were you thinking of going?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Fireblade96
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    When were you thinking of going?

I'm hoping to go 15th Jan, and then again in Feb and again in March if I can get people to come along !
    I think I'll have a group of 3 for March when my mates heal/get their acts together, so if you're interested you're welcome to join in. Obviously assuming you aren't a psycho who's going to eat our brains ;-)
    Misguided Idealist
  • Stevo_666
    Obviously assuming you aren't a psycho who's going to eat our brains ;-)
    Ah sh!t, rumbled again :D

Free after 17th March (not possible before that due to work commitments :evil: ). Will let you know if I am still at a loose end and running short of brains in the fridge...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    You could try the Pistepals group on Facebook - they organise trips for groups of singles in larger chalets, etc.

Seem really nice too.

(no money to go this year, but I did get out in the snow down our local park over christmas)
    us0.png
  • FWIW I've met Stevo 666 and he seemed entirely normal. Also didn't whinge once on what was possibly the wettest 45 mile ride round the kent hills I've ever done.

I've heard that http://www.snoworks.co.uk/ is a good solution if you're solo and looking for fun people to ski with. They usually stay at Mark Warner places so lots of other bods in the evening if you happen to not click with any of the people who are doing your course (bumps / back country etc). I know people who've been and loved it but way too spendy for my budget. You might get an accomodation bargain elsewhere and just join them for skiing?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    er FB have you told everyone really why no one wants to go with you ....?

He likes to ski naked FACT
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    We have a space in a chalet in Meribelle in March, but I think my fellow ski buddies would kill me to open it up to 'someone I found on an internet forum'
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    www.action-outdoors.co.uk offer some fantastic deals with the French UCPA - been with them a few times and had a great laugh, everyone's really friendly and there's a good mix of French, Brits, Swedes and English is widely spoken. It's all-inclusive (lift pass, accom, full board food, skis/boots/boards if you need them, lessons/guiding) and the prices are hard to beat, especially when you consider lift passes are close to 200 quid on their own. You can also get a tenner off using the code STSL2010 :)
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Fireblade96
    Thanks folks, some good recommendations there.
    I'd forgotten about UCPA, will look 'em up. I speak French so no probs there.

Have also found a snowboard forum with a Sno'Mates section ;-) Just seen an offer of a space for next week, I might be gone some time.

Stevo, since you now come with a recommendation I'll put you on the list for March. The only brains avaialble that week will be pickled anyway!

And Boffo - I hope you get rained on all the way home :twisted:
    Misguided Idealist
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Fireblade96, http://www.snowheads.com is another good forum, and they have lots of single skiers/boarders looking for friends and also offer forum-organized trips. Been on a couple myself and they're good fun.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Stevo_666
    FWIW I've met Stevo 666 and he seemed entirely normal. Also didn't whinge once on what was possibly the wettest 45 mile ride round the kent hills I've ever done.
    Thanks Livs :) That reminds me, we must organise another to sort the men from the boys on the commuter forum :twisted:

FB - keep me posted on developments on your March jaunt, cheers.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Moving OT, are there any cheap online sites for snowboard stuff? Like wiggle, ribble etc, but for snow.
    exercise.png
  • Fireblade96
    TheStone wrote:
    Moving OT, are there any cheap online sites for snowboard stuff? Like wiggle, ribble etc, but for snow.

There's this little cycling and snowboard site:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Default.aspx

never bought any snowboard stuff from them, but I'm off there for a browse now as I seem to have run out of board wax.
    Misguided Idealist
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    And Boffo - I hope you get rained on all the way home :twisted:

WFH innit :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    TheStone wrote:

Staying OT: I've bought cycle socks and a rucksack from facewest in the best. They also have a lot of out-doorsey stuff. Can't comment on cheapness or otherwise as I haven't bought board gear in ages. My last trip was canceled due to, er, fatherhood and I doubt I'll get to go until she's at least old enough to be stuck on some of those little cute skis.

http://www.facewest.co.uk/
  • Stevo_666
    Kurako wrote:
    TheStone wrote:
    My last trip was canceled due to, er, fatherhood and I doubt I'll get to go until she's at least old enough to be stuck on some of those little cute skis.

http://www.facewest.co.uk/
    Nah, go with your mates - Mum needs time on her own to 'bond' properly with Junior. Worked for me (once) :D

BTW went into a Sports Direct shop today and they have ski gear in there - some is el cheapo, some is brand name stuff like Berghaus with good discounts on them.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    If you want REALLY cheap stuff shop ahead. The ski hire shops in Aviemore sell off their old kit at the end of the season, I'm sure I saw skis for under 20 quid a pair.

Personally I do cross country skiing, was out this afternoon - great fun :-)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!